• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@ADKmel, bro, at my last lesson, i met my instructor at the bar for the wrap up and shared a resortpriced beer (tab on me) and tipped him 20% additionally.
Apparently I'm not communicating my point across as what you replied with isn't my position. I want good instuctors to get more money and people to tip them, I am not your enemy in this.
I'll leave it at that and exit this thread.

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I wonder if it is time for all of us to remember to keep threads on-topic. The original question was, I believe, answered and some color was added. The most important thing in that regard, and not everybody knows, is the fact that instructors make very little per hour. Not any more than if they were washing dishes at a restaurant. So, as someone taking a lesson, I take that into account. That, and how happy I am about the lesson. My lessons tend to be terrific and I personally try to reflect that in the tip.

But I don't think this thread should turn into soul searching about fair labor pay and other political topics. It all gets weird and it was not the question in the original post. My two cents.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tips were always much appreciated when I was an instructor, regardless of the amount, though never expected. However, I considered the first person on a group lesson who handed out a tip to be a saint – it often got at least one other person to tip as well.

spread the word/give them referrals

Yes. This might not apply everywhere (I was at a small Midwestern bump) but my pay for a group lesson was small, my pay for a private lesson was slightly higher, and my pay for a private lesson where the student/parent specifically requested me was the highest. If you enjoyed your lesson and are considering further/private lessons (or you have friends that are considering private lessons), don’t forget to request a specific instructor if given the opportunity.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
@ADKmel, bro, at my last lesson, i met my instructor at the bar for the wrap up and shared a resortpriced beer (tab on me) and tipped him 20% additionally.
Apparently I'm not communicating my point across as what you replied with isn't my position. I want good instuctors to get more money and people to tip them, I am not your enemy in this.
I'll leave it at that and exit this thread.

PS I"M NOT A BRO.. Yeah I ski like a girl Try to keep up..

ForeverSki

Getting on the lift
Skier
If you didn’t know about tipping, would it be weird if you asked for the same instructor for the next lesson and then tip? Would you tip extra to make up for the first time you didn’t tip? If you tip one time but didn’t the next, like you forgot your wallet or didn’t have the correct bills, would they think you weren’t happy with the lesson?

Bendzeekneez

Putting on skis
Skier
Working pro here. Canadian teaching at a destination resort full time. Unlike others I do it for the money. Tip, dont tip it's really up to you. If people ask what is normal to tip (happens a lot) I say like any other service professions I accept gratuities when offered, as to the amount anything is appreciated. I dont solicite tips nor rely on them as a constant and consistent stream of income.

Slasher

Getting on the lift
Skier
I think the whole "not expected, but greatly appreciated" thing is a coded suggestion for a little bit of wealth redistribution, i.e. if you're loaded you darn well better tip big, but if you can barely afford the lesson then we were very happy just to have you in it.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m old school and tip 10% of the bill (taxes included so its about 11-12% of actual cost) if service is very good, less to nothing if ok. If really exceptional 15%+/-. If a gratuity is tacked into a bill....nothing, as it now a surcharge and not a gratuity in my books.

Remember its about rewarding exceptional service and not just doing your job that you are already paid to do. Think of it this way, it is being grateful (gratuity, definition of the word) for going above and beyond what’s required and paid for. It is not an income supplement for poor wages.

BTW I agree tipping them over is cruel.

Last edited:

SkiSchoolPros

Impact Ecosystem- ie.Money with Meaning
Skier
Hey. I had a group lesson today at Big Sky. My first lesson in at least 35 years. Good time. Helpful. At the end, I saw a member of the group passing a tip to the instructor. Definitely a surprise. I don’t remember my Dad tipping my ski instructor when I was a kid. I have no problem with tipping waiters and Uber well. Not sure about ski employees though. What’s the standard for tipping instructors? The lesson was over $100.
From Vail.com

*Gratuities for coaches are not a requirement but an appropriate and appreciated gesture. A 15-20% gratuity based on the cost of the lesson will make your coach feel very appreciated and valued.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I’m old school and tip 10% of the bill (taxes included so its about 11-12% of actual cost) if service is very good, less to nothing if ok. If really exceptional 15%+/-. If a gratuity is tacked into a bill....nothing, as it now a surcharge and not a gratuity in my books.

Remember its about rewarding exceptional service and not just doing your job that you are already paid to do. Think of it this way, it is being grateful (gratuity, definition of the word) for going above and beyond what’s required and paid for. It is not an income supplement for poor wages.

BTW I agree tipping them over is cruel.

Let us know where in N.A. has a 1.2% tax rate. Here, according to your method, it would be 10% plus 10% tax... 20%, which is what many tip anyway.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Let us know where in N.A. has a 1.2% tax rate. Here, according to your method, it would be 10% plus 10% tax... 20%, which is what many tip anyway.
I think he was saying that he tips 10% of the total bill including taxes. I.e. if the bill is $10 without tax, and $15 with tax, he would tip $1.50. Which would then be 15% of the $10 number.

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I visit North America I always struggle with the whole concept of people not getting paid enough by their employers, that they are relying on good tippers to end up with a living(?) wage.
After reading all the entries on this page, I am so glad that I live in a country where tipping is not required for any service supplied to us. Fair to say though, it is still optional to tip though, if the recipient of great service wants to do it.

Sponsor

Staff online