• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
This subject resurfaces every year or so with similar responses. The facts are indisputable: Lesson prices are too high, the resort takes 80% of the cost, and instructors are underpaid. May I offer a suggestion?

If you can afford it, and the lesson exceeds your expectations, giving the instructor some cash is appropriate and appreciated. Any amount is fine.

If you are on a tight budget and can't afford a tip, or don't believe in tips, go to the ski school office and ask if they have evaluation forms available to fill out. If guests compliment a particular instructor, such positive feedback goes a long way in getting good instructors priority and often leads to raises.

Best!
Mike

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
This subject resurfaces every year or so with similar responses. The facts are indisputable: Lesson prices are too high, the resort takes 80% of the cost, and instructors are underpaid. May I offer a suggestion?

If you can afford it, and the lesson exceeds your expectations, giving the instructor some cash is appropriate and appreciated. Any amount is fine.

If you are on a tight budget and can't afford a tip, or don't believe in tips, go to the ski school office and ask if they have evaluation forms available to fill out. If guests compliment a particular instructor, such positive feedback goes a long way in getting good instructors priority and often leads to raises.

Best!
Mike

One of the best tips I ever received was a hand written 2 page 'thank you' letter from a 10 year old. ogsmile

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
"One of the best tips I ever received was a hand written 2 page 'thank you' letter from a 10 year old."

When my daughter was about eight, she and my wife knit a hat as an eventual thank-you for her weekend coach. It turned out really well. I still see the coach wearing it, twenty plus years later, and she always tells us how much it means to her. I believe that a lot is how you convey the appreciation. Obviously different opportunities in seasonal programs.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When I taught at the city hill, no tips as I taught the schools during the day, they usually got 2 or 3 days. Returning kids always wanted back into my group, and those not in my group, wanted in.

I’ve met some of the same kids years later and they remember the fun and learning to ski.

Can’t ask for a better compliment (or tip) than that. Money while important doesn’t feed the soul.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I teach both skiing and WW paddling. Well, I used to actively teach skiing. I also guide fly fishing.

The pay discrepancy between snow and river is stunning. Due to that, I have a hard time imagining that I'd go back to teaching skiing, post COVID. Between pay, and policies, it simply isn't worth my while. Occasionally I am assigned a guest or two who I vibe with, we have a great time, and they tip to show their appreciation. Those days almost tip the scales for me, Generally I am much happier as a guest, maintain my certifications, and actively attend PSIA clinics to continue my own skills journey.

The caveat being those established clients that I have worked with over the years. They are more friends than clients. In many cases neighbors and members of our private ski club seek me out. And while I cannot charge them, they show their appreciation in other ways.

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Yep, I was making $200 a day as an assistant white water instructor in 1997 without tips and more with tips. I won't say what my daily wage is teaching skiing. I am not complaining though. I love being a ski instructor. And since our mountain was bought by a large resort company, it has gotten even better.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Honestly, Ski Resorts should pay instructors very well and give out lessons for free for first timers. It is in their best interest for more people to learn how to ski and have a good experience on the slopes.

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
If the market requires it. The ski industry will provide it. Fret not.

BTW, if expressions of personal opinion are allowed here, please let me say that the video above is just silly.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
If the market requires it. The ski industry will provide it. Fret not.

BTW, if expressions of personal opinion are allowed here, please let me say that the video above is just silly.

Also, did you read the comments below the vid? :huh:

Sponsor

Staff online