• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I like whoppers better :)
I prefer salad

14614660-u-s-currency-dollars-on-a-plate-salad-cash.jpg

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
when exactly did a 6-pack of beer become currency? Or some treasured gift of appreciation?
besides everyone seems to want others to like the same beer they drink themselves and the recipient of such a gift may not be a fan at all or may not even drink beer. Whats wrong with a 5 or 10 spot and a good sincere thank you?

I think it's intended to be a little more friendly and personal (and less commercial) than cash. To me, a four- or six-pack of good hard cider (or gluten-free beer) feels more like a friendly token of appreciation versus a $10 bill, especially if the commercial value of the services offered is well in excess of $10. And yes, as a glutard, that requires that the offering party know me well enough to pick up something I can drink without getting sick.

More directly on topic, I don't pay for tunes often enough to have a habit on this, but I'm generally of the "at retail price, I don't need to tip for normal service" camp when it comes to ski tuning. If I bring in something that I know to be a nightmare (like skis that were exposed on the roof while following a brine truck), I'd expect to pay more than a normal tune, whether as part of the retail price or as a tip to the tuner. I'd also be willing to hand over an extra $5 or $10 if I knew the tech was hustling to get my stuff done (although I'd generally rather bring it in when they don't need to hustle, as it makes everyone's life easier and reduces the chance of mistakes).

I would feel awkward at best about the tech choosing to ring up a lower-cost service in hopes of a tip, though, as at that point, if I do provide them a tip, I'm basically helping them steal from their employer. Like a bartender failing to ring in the correct number of drafts, it may be a common practice in some places, but it's effectively taking money out of the till and putting it in the employee's pocket.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think a lot of people forget that a tip is voluntary. We live in a society where tipping has been taken for granted and that should not be the case. IMO, it's the thought that counts.To look down on a tip is likely not the healthiest perspective.

Some folks may not afford much beyond a six pack of beer. But buying that six pack likely took more time than handing out some bills. There is something to be said for that - the time they invested (perhaps they even gave some thought as to what beer to get the person).

I tip at the end of the season - whenever that is for us. Between $50 to $100 per person across five or six folks (do something similar at golf / tennis club). It's just more convenient for me to tip cash than to carry beer/wine around.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think a lot of people forget that a tip is voluntary. We live in a society where tipping has been taken for granted and that should not be the case. IMO, it's the thought that counts.To look down on a tip is likely not the healthiest perspective.

Some folks may not afford much beyond a six pack of beer. But buying that six pack likely took more time than handing out some bills. There is something to be said for that - the time they invested (perhaps they even gave some thought as to what beer to get the person).

I tip at the end of the season - whenever that is for us. Between $50 to $100 per person across five or six folks (do something similar at golf / tennis club). It's just more convenient for me to tip cash than to carry beer/wine around.

Who is really looking down on a tip that comes via a 6-pack? I only think thats a strange tip is all. I think the same 5 bucks, or 8 or 10 one might spend on the beer is better off handing the currency over so the recipient can do what they wish with it. Unless they know that whatever beer they buy for the person is to their liking. But that said I certainly wouldnt look down at the tip either way. Its the thought that counts.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Who is really looking down on a tip that comes via a 6-pack? I only think thats a strange tip is all. I think the same 5 bucks, or 8 or 10 one might spend on the beer is better off handing the currency over so the recipient can do what they wish with it. Unless they know that whatever beer they buy for the person is to their liking. But that said I certainly wouldnt look down at the tip either way. Its the thought that counts.

I hope no one looks down on a tip, whatever it may be. Surely some tips are nicer / more generous than others - no doubt about that.

I have often heard people say that they feel more "comfortable" giving someone $8 worth of beer - as an example - than giving them $8 in cash. Perhaps it is because they feel that the value is not as evident by not giving cash as they may feel "self conscious" about the value of the tip they are giving.

I also think people really want to be respected and treated with professionalism and value that being the case. I can name many a generous tipper who are just a pain in the arse to deal with - nasty people. I bet whoever receives their tips would much rather them just not be nasty and to show some civility instead.

One thing I've noticed is that I tip all the time and no one tips me :) I guess that shows the value - lack of - that I bring to the table.

Last edited:

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Actually, the best "tip" I ever got as a ski shop rat was a complete home-cooked steak dinner a "customer" brought to me at the shop. I ended up marrying her.

You must be a really excellent ski tech. Well done!

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The money and tipping can be seen as an insult in other cultures as if to show your service is underpriced, I can afford to pay you more than your stated price, or more than another person would in exchange for your labor.

Whereas giving food drink or other non-monetary items, is a context that friends would do. The context switch is it's intention is for the recipient to find enjoyment in the gift, instead of it being compensation for service (even though money can be exchanged for any gift).

At our last Secret Santa, the accountants at my work joked that due to stress people were having at picking gifts and the debate over whether giftcards were a good gift, as compared to even the worst mismatched physical gift (but had good intention behind it).
To prove the point they suggested the absurd concept we should just all agree that everyone gift exactly the $25 in USD cash, thereby ensuring perfect equality in exchanges and the accounting would "tie out"

Last edited:

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
We got such great, patient & laid back boot-fitting service from the guys at One Stop Ski Shop in Steamboat that we went back with a dozen beers and a bottle of wine as a token of our appreciation. They were pretty stoked. It's a fairly common approach in NZ, where financial tipping is not a thing.

We didn't pay a tip cos we were already forking over thousands.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
A lot of people who take ski lessons here feel the same way!

Funnily enough, on that Steamboat trip my wife and a friend had several private lessons and they diligently tipped the instructor (quite generously) each time, even as I was choking on my budget rolled oats at the cost of said lessons (in the end a small price to pay for a nice increase in capability and a big increase in confidence for my better half :).

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^^Great to hear it’s made a difference. More people could perhaps benefit if the cost of lessons wasn’t so egregious, with or without tip.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
The money and tipping can be seen as an insult in other cultures
"

well then,.... point me in the direction to such cultures because I have no issue with being insulted. In fact I could really use a whole pile of insults. I'll even nominate myself to be the most insulted person there. No to worry...I'll sacrifice for the good of the group. You know...….Cause Im big that way.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
At the demo centre where i work when a former employee used to come in with his little kids we would comp him their rental skis and then we would receive a healthy supply of his wife's baking.:D

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I received a new pair of Head Kore 99's and Tyrolia bindings today. I slid the tech a bag of great weed. Skis were ready (but not as in baked) in 20 minutes.

We could see 60" over the next 48 hours. Needed something a bit wider.

IMG-0149.jpg

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
well then,.... point me in the direction to such cultures because I have no issue with being insulted. In fact I could really use a whole pile of insults. I'll even nominate myself to be the most insulted person there. No to worry...I'll sacrifice for the good of the group. You know...….Cause Im big that way.
https://www.tripsavvy.com/tipping-in-japan-1458316

For one, I get you are joking, however your jokes needs some workshopping cause there's some logical failures there. Just because you're the norm breaker and you'd tip in Japan, doesn't mean if you go work in Japan, suddenly everyone else is going to change the norms to benefit you. Definitely get out and see the world, dude :beercheer:

Supergaper

Slaying it gently.
Skier
If you are local, good early season tipping helps, case of cheap beer, fifth of Crown or other brown water, pizza at 7pm in the middle of tuning session.

16 years tuning in Jackson Hole, we never forget the good tipping locals- or visitors for that matter, insures prompt service in the future, and free perks and advice.

I'm out of the shop for 4 years now, but always pay and bring a case of the cheap beer, because the rental joeys and front of house people need beer too.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
https://www.tripsavvy.com/tipping-in-japan-1458316

For one, I get you are joking, however your jokes needs some workshopping cause there's some logical failures there. Just because you're the norm breaker and you'd tip in Japan, doesn't mean if you go work in Japan, suddenly everyone else is going to change the norms to benefit you. Definitely get out and see the world, dude :beercheer:

Glad you get Im joking. Just some humor was all. I of course can understand there are different cultures with different social interactions and customs.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
In the 18 years of working in 4 different shops only one or two customers tipped me in cash. Now I don't remember much beer being used as a incentive for preferential treatment. I did get a bottle of wine for giving a family private lessons. I have been given dinners from a guy in the restaurant business for favors on his behalf. The first one happened by accident, a friend that worked for Technica boots and I were at Hunter and he had to drop off the pair of boots to a friend of his and he asked me to come along. His friend was staying at lodge that had a restaurant on the first floor, when we arrived the family was just sitting down to dinner and invited us to join them and we did thinking we would split the check. After dinner my friend gives the boots to his friend, so I say that his binding have to be adjusted for the new boots. He asks if I know how to do it and of course I did. By now it is the end of the night and we are the only people in the restaurant. I said I would need a screwdriver and believe or not he asked the waiter for a Phillips screwdriver and there I was adjusting his bindings on the floor of the restaurant. Fortune for me he had enough space on the binding heel track that it was a simple job. He pick up the check for me that night and a few other times at his restaurant for other services I provided.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
In the 18 years of working in 4 different shops only one or two customers tipped me in cash. Now I don't remember much beer being used as a incentive for preferential treatment. I did get a bottle of wine for giving a family private lessons. I have been given dinners from a guy in the restaurant business for favors on his behalf. The first one happened by accident, a friend that worked for Technica boots and I were at Hunter and he had to drop off the pair of boots to a friend of his and he asked me to come along. His friend was staying at lodge that had a restaurant on the first floor, when we arrived the family was just sitting down to dinner and invited us to join them and we did thinking we would split the check. After dinner my friend gives the boots to his friend, so I say that his binding have to be adjusted for the new boots. He asks if I know how to do it and of course I did. By now it is the end of the night and we are the only people in the restaurant. I said I would need a screwdriver and believe or not he asked the waiter for a Phillips screwdriver and there I was adjusting his bindings on the floor of the restaurant. Fortune for me he had enough space on the binding heel track that it was a simple job. He pick up the check for me that night and a few other times at his restaurant for other services I provided.

What you speak of sounds more like trading one thing for another, or an unwritten mutual exchange of friendly favors and not really a tip scenario.