• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
It worked regularly at a shop I used to work for. I do agree with "bring your skis in as early as possible", but sometimes it is last minute and it's not possible to be there any earlier. And when that happens, definitely don't EXPECT they'll be able to accommodate, and don't get pissed if they say "sorry we're swamped".
I've found that often the less you expect the more you will get. :cool:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I hope you are talking about "near closing time" on a Tuesday or Wednesday. In our shop, the guys tuning are absolutely buried with work at the end of the evening and want to go home way more than they want beer. Bring your skis in as early as possible and they'll have time. End of the day- not so much. People, don't be like this guy!

A case of Yuengling will get you to the front of the line though, right?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Shop guys have bills to pay..it is not cheap to live in a ski town. You can't send beer even craft beer to the landlord to pay the rent. While the thought IS there...a green handshake goes a lot further.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I bring a six or a twelve pack of good local stuff to my guys twice a year if I use them or not. A quick plug on social media now and then as well, they are truly a special shop.

Extra cash happens now and then, but it’s also a friendship so it almost seems weird going down that road now.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I usually add a tip to my charge at my shop. He does such a good job on my skis, does it quickly when I need it, and texts me when they're ready. Last time I stopped by to shoot the shit he offered me beer out of the shop fridge.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Hey! And right near Boyce Park, where I learned to ski.

I wonder how many new skiers Boyce Park has produced. Have you ever seen the classic ski cartoon about lift lines that begin at the chair and wrap all the way to the top of the lift? Boyce in the mid-1960s came close to that! Yes, Boyce was where I learned to power wedge down all 180 vertical. Also the first place I skied trees. Peak has a shop in Gibsonia now.

We now return you to the originally scheduled thread.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
when exactly did a 6-pack of beer become currency? Or some treasured gift of appreciation?
besides everyone seems to want others to like the same beer they drink themselves and the recipient of such a gift may not be a fan at all or may not even drink beer. Whats wrong with a 5 or 10 spot and a good sincere thank you?

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
when exactly did a 6-pack of beer become currency? Or some treasured gift of appreciation?
besides everyone seems to want others to like the same beer they drink themselves and the recipient of such a gift may not be a fan at all or may not even drink beer. Whats wrong with a 5 or 10 spot and a good sincere thank you?

I don't know when, but beer is what I use to PAY for binding mounts where I go. They don't charge me a mounting fee. I always ask when I take my stuff in what the beer of the month preference is.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I thought the trick was Iron City Beer myself... :D
Good luck with that. ;) If you brought a tech Iron City, as a tip, I would suggest then bringing the skis to another shop before you ski them to fix the sabotaging the tech at the first did.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I'm from Pittsburgh, and I'd worry that Iron City would have your skis come out in worse shape than when they went in. :eek::D

Good luck with that. ;) If you brought a tech Iron City, as a tip, I would suggest then bringing the skis to another shop before you ski them to fix the sabotaging the tech at the first did.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who thought Iron City Beer is the most vile tasting crap ever created called "beer".

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't know if I'd go that far... Natural Light still exists.
Or Red, White and Blue, PBR's cheaper and less expensive counterpart..yes you can go lower ;)

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
;)
I had a really interesting discussion in a lift queue re the comparative cost of lift tickets around the world in the ski bum currency of six- packs. This was pre cheaper Epic season passes so the exchange rate would be a little different now....maybe measured in Big Macs.;)

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
;)
I had a really interesting discussion in a lift queue re the comparative cost of lift tickets around the world in the ski bum currency of six- packs. This was pre cheaper Epic season passes so the exchange rate would be a little different now....maybe measured in Big Macs.;)

I like whoppers better :)