• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There have been many threads about tipping instructors, but what about tipping the shop guys that take care of our boots & skis? I try to make it a habit to do so but I’m told most folks don’t. What is everyone out their seeing or doing? Shop folks-is this welcome, common, etc?

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Im not sure exactly what your talking of. Do you mean like dropping your skis off for a tune, edge and wax, whatever and then when you pick them up another day in addition to paying bill for the service you also tip the guys a few bucks as well?

Im usually a good tipper and usually conscientious of when its proper or not or necessary. But I havnt given that one all that much thought. I mean certainly if I had a problem and someone helped me out and got me back out there Id be looking to tip. But dropping my skis at the local house for a tune and returning to pay the bill and pick them up? IDK. I mean do we tip the person that helped us in moist any store we may be in to buy something?

I talke my car in for an oil change, tire rotation while I wait I tend to give and extra 5 bucks to the mechanic after Im done. I suppose maybe if as said I had an issue and they took care of me right there vs dropping them off on monday and picking them back up thirsday. I honestly don't know about this one. But you certainly got me thinking about it now and Im feeling guilty.....thanks lol.

TS
C

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Im not sure exactly what your talking of. Do you mean like dropping your skis off for a tune, edge and wax, whatever and then when you pick them up another day in addition to paying bill for the service you also tip the guys a few bucks as well? .

That’s exactly what I mean. In my local shop it’s easy but even traveling when I pick up the skis I’ll ask if I can step into the back and thank the person who did my skis. Then I’ll give them a tip. Only once did I have someone in front hesitate. Once I told them my intent they had no issue letting me into the back.

Reactions: Ogg

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
If I need to get my skis to the front of the line for a base grind, I bring a six pack of micro brew near closing time for "while you wait" service.

I hope you are talking about "near closing time" on a Tuesday or Wednesday. In our shop, the guys tuning are absolutely buried with work at the end of the evening and want to go home way more than they want beer. Bring your skis in as early as possible and they'll have time. End of the day- not so much. People, don't be like this guy!

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
Only when I'm not paying for a service. For example, if someone lends me a posidrive to tighten my bindings I'll bring them a few donuts or coffee.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
We used to close at six on Saturdays . We never got out of the shop until 7:30. So we changed to 5. One day one guy climbed the six foot fence in our back yard at 5:30 to try and get some service done .We thought for a while if he would dissolve in the varsol bin.... Ultimately we did the work but yeah we could've killed that guy ...

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I've heard the American tipping culture confuses tourists from countries where tipping is not customary.

I was born and raised here in the USA and I still find tipping culture confusing as hell. Ski shop employees? It never crossed my mind.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not for a stone grind or tune, unless they're doing a rush job for ya, but after a boot fit, yes.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bought boots this year and got big-time attention and then a guarantee of ongoing adjustments. Fitter refused money for hour-long follow-up visit, but I gave him lunch money anyway. I don't want to be seen as a walking piggy-bank, but rather as someone who appreciates the work and attention to detail that folks provide.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
I'll tip the ski 'tech if they do a good job on a tune or repair (usually, I do the work myself, but sometimes it's just simpler to let the shop do the work - like when I'm on ski trip). I definitely tip a good fitter - even if they do some follow-up fine tuning for no charge.

BTW: Back in 70's when I was a ski shop rat. I'd get tipped cash a few times a week. A few times customers gifted me beer/spirits, which I took as a compliment but... I've never been much of a drinker - so I'd usually hand it off to my buddies.

Actually, the best "tip" I ever got as a ski shop rat was a complete home-cooked steak dinner a "customer" brought to me at the shop. I ended up marrying her.

RumbaRockette

Putting on skis
Skier
I've tried to tip a great boot fitter. He declined and asked that I just write an online review instead. I was happy to write it.

I do have a friend who used to own a ski shop that tunes skis. I know how to do basic repairs & waxing, but I don't trust myself with edge work. He's usually my carpool buddy so I don't tip him anything other than a nice meal every now and then.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
There have been many threads about tipping instructors, but what about tipping the shop guys that take care of our boots & skis? I try to make it a habit to do so but I’m told most folks don’t. What is everyone out their seeing or doing? Shop folks-is this welcome, common, etc?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Depends entirely on the interaction. If I'm paying for work they have a set rate for that is advertised, they charge me that rate and do an acceptable job in their normal workflow (i.e. not a rush) -- I don't worry about tipping. So usually no tip for a base grind, a base weld, etc.

If they don't charge me at all, give me extra useful advice, or charge me well below what they might be able to charge, then some sort of tip.

I work mostly with staff at my local hill -- both bootfitters and ski repair. Works out nicely that the bar there allows you to pay it forward -- so I can just tell the tech to check the board at the Rat after work.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I hope you are talking about "near closing time" on a Tuesday or Wednesday. In our shop, the guys tuning are absolutely buried with work at the end of the evening and want to go home way more than they want beer. Bring your skis in as early as possible and they'll have time. End of the day- not so much. People, don't be like this guy!

It worked regularly at a shop I used to work for. I do agree with "bring your skis in as early as possible", but sometimes it is last minute and it's not possible to be there any earlier. And when that happens, definitely don't EXPECT they'll be able to accommodate, and don't get pissed if they say "sorry we're swamped".

Reactions: Ogg

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
I just tipped a six pack after working on my son's boots, letting me demo a pair of Head SS Titans, and cutting down my poles all for free. I had the skis for a weekend. Perhaps I didn't tip enough? I didn't tip after paying for a full tune, skis not needed right away nor had any tune specific instructions. I deal with small shop and usually talk to one of the co-owners. Great service and boot fitting at Peak Ski and Board. I also mention their name whenever I make a shop recommendation. :D

Sponsor

Staff online