• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Time to get some Zipfit liners

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I have decided that it is time to get a pair of custom liners. Switched to a Lange SX130 boot last season and have about 30 days on it. Boot fits great but really not loving the stock liner and often have cold feet. My boot fitter who I really like does not carry Zipfit so need to find someone in the Seattle area who does as I know that first fit and the right volume ... etc. is essential to long term comfort and performance. With that in mind hoping for some advice on how best to proceed and also any referrals to places in the greater Seattle area that have experience with Zipfit.

Reactions: BMC

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Wait, what? You're going to a Zipfit to get warmer feet? In a shell that, based on your enthusiasm, doesn't have pinch spots? Or is this for a new shell?

Confused now...bowing out to leave the Seattle reccos to the locals.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Wait, what? You're going to a Zipfit to get warmer feet? In a shell that, based on your enthusiasm, doesn't have pinch spots? Or is this for a new shell?

She’ll was new this past season, had everything properly fitted and customized. After 30 days stock liners are packed out and I am have to tighten the boots a lot more to get great foot hold, I am also finding that the stock liners are not very warm. Simply put I want better foot hold and warmer feet, which is what I initially had before these liners started to pack out. I also do not want have to crank my boots super tight to get that great foot hold, so decided that I would invest in better look liners that have a custom fit, and will not pack out. Have looked at the intuition but based on everything I have read think the Zipfit will give me a better fit and better performance. Does that make more sense?

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

He wants a warmer liner. Zipfits are pretty warm. And he doesn’t love the stock liner.
I’ve got 2 pair of boots where I love the shell, but wasn’t crazy about the liners. so I get it.
A custom liner will improve your skiing too, by making a great shell even more responsive.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think what @cantunamunch is saying is that Zipfits are not as warm as Intuition liners. The Zipfits may be warmer than the stock liners, and may offer a more precise performance fit than Intuition, although that would be for an experienced bootfitter to ascertain.

For my money, Jim Mates http://www.custombootservice.com is the boot fitter I recommend. He can order whatever liner you and he decide is best for you.

https://www.worldcupsc.com is another place others mention.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think what @cantunamunch is saying is that Zipfits are not as warm as Intuition liners. The Zipfits may be warmer than the stock liners, and may offer a more precise performance fit than Intuition, although that would be for an experienced bootfitter to ascertain.

For my money, Jim Mates http://www.custombootservice.com is the boot fitter I recommend. He can order whatever liner you and he decide is best for you.

Thing is, Zipfits will offer better heel retention and whatnot than Intuition liners. Intuitions are great if you’ve got feet that require a liner to stretch around hot spots, but they are not so great at “filling in” narrow parts of the foot. That’s where the Zipfit excels.

I found Zipfits very warm compared to stock liners. It may depend on the type of Zipfit chosen.

Reactions: BMC
TS
dovski

dovski

Skier

Makes sense, and to be clear it is not just a warmth issue but also a fit and performance issue as the stock liners packed out quickly. Not looking for something super warm either just better than my stock liner.

funnily enough my buddy who is a boot fitter gets Jim to do his boots.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
She’ll was new this past season, had everything properly fitted and customized. After 30 days stock liners are packed out and I am have to tighten the boots a lot more to get great foot hold, I am also finding that the stock liners are not very warm

I understand this, but everything you've said: 30 day pack out followed by foothold issues (unless super-tight) indicates a relatively loose shell.

. so decided that I would invest in better look liners that have a custom fit, and will not pack out.

If you're talking about the OMfit type Zipfits - if the shell is loose enough everything will pack out. See my response above. If you're just trying to get ~40 extra days out of these shells then pay no mind.

If you're talking about foam injection, then that's a different game altogether.

Have looked at the intuition but based on everything I have read think the Zipfit will give me a better fit and better performance.

I have no problem with that.

The Zipfits may be warmer than the stock liners,

The warmth is a bit individual; I've used Lange laceups and Garas in the same shell and the warmth difference was less than the difference between socks. Garas actually worked better at the heel and ankle.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I understand this, but everything you've said: 30 day pack out followed by foothold issues (unless super-tight) indicates a relatively loose shell.

If you're talking about the OMfit type Zipfits - if the shell is loose enough everything will pack out. See my response above. If you're just trying to get ~40 extra days out of these shells then pay no mind.

If you're talking about foam injection, then that's a different game altogether.

The warmth is a bit individual; I've used Lange laceups and Garas in the same shell and the warmth difference was less than the difference between socks. Garas actually worked better at the heel and ankle.
Well.

I’m one that has very narrow feet. Even with a very narrow shell, usually I need a custom liner.

In order to get a proper shell without custom liner, I’d need to go to a 92mm plug boot. Which would be freezing cold for my already cold feet, even with boot heaters. I’m past my prime and not going to go there. So I have a foam injected Nordica WC lace up.

The issue I’ve had with Zipfits is the huge padded tongue threw off my stance. The same problem occurred with dear departed Skisailor, who went back to her stock Lange liners after trying Zipfits.

I’m sure that @dovski will find somebody in the Seattle area to point him in the right direction. :)

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier

Ok let me start by saying I have two odd feet thanks to a foot surgery several years back so I take shell fit quite seriously and as a result go the extra mile to customize my boots so I have a proper fit on both feet. So I do get the right fit/hold but now have to tighten the boots more than when I first got them. The stock liners were ok for the first half of the season, but seemed to pack out a fair amount by the second half. From day one they were not super warm but as the season went on and I had to tighten the boots further I realized that a better liner would likely improve my boot fit/performance and address the cold feet. My boot fitter/friend agrees with this but his shop only carries intuitions. If I am going to invest in custom boot liners I would like to get something that I can transfer from boot to boot and that will last much longer. I also like that you can continually customize the zipfit liner, so if I have another foot surgery, which is a possibility I can potentially just adjust my liner as opposed to replacing them like I would with an intuition or foam liner - boot however would need to be replaced in this case.

It was actually cantunamunch's other posting comparing boot liners along with some additional research that helped convince me that Zipfit would be the way to go. So not just looking to get an extra 40 days or warmer feet out of this investment :)

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
You can also try Seattle Ski and Snowboard in Shoreline http://www.seattleski.com/. They just got a bunch of ZipFits in yesterday.
I actually have another buddy who works in their boot shop and he just let me know that they have a bunch in stock but can also order in something specific for me. So if for example I wanted the freeride with sidewinder they can do that.

With that in mind curious as to what folks thing of the Sidewinder option.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Here's another vote for Jim Mates. I never had a boot fit right until I went to him. He's the man. I would hold on the decision about which liner to get and consult with him. I thought I knew what I needed but he found I was wrong and he fixed me up.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
THIS FORUM CRACKS ME UP.......... Someone asks for a recommendation of somewhere to buy a product and a load of people question why he wants the product tries to talk him out of the product and question why he wants the product and it takes about 10 posts before someone recommends a boot fitter

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ok let me start by saying I have two odd feet thanks to a foot surgery several years back so I take shell fit quite seriously and as a result go the extra mile to customize my boots so I have a proper fit on both feet. So I do get the right fit/hold but now have to tighten the boots more than when I first got them. The stock liners were ok for the first half of the season, but seemed to pack out a fair amount by the second half. From day one they were not super warm but as the season went on and I had to tighten the boots further I realized that a better liner would likely improve my boot fit/performance and address the cold feet. My boot fitter/friend agrees with this but his shop only carries intuitions. If I am going to invest in custom boot liners I would like to get something that I can transfer from boot to boot and that will last much longer. I also like that you can continually customize the zipfit liner, so if I have another foot surgery, which is a possibility I can potentially just adjust my liner as opposed to replacing them like I would with an intuition or foam liner - boot however would need to be replaced in this case.

It was actually cantunamunch's other posting comparing boot liners along with some additional research that helped convince me that Zipfit would be the way to go. So not just looking to get an extra 40 days or warmer feet out of this investment :)
I have Zipfits in my Lange RS 130s (the 100). super precise yet comfortable fit. I’ve never noticed them being cold or hot so it mustn’t be an issue.

While i had mine “fitted” i don’t think you really need that. the boot room in my ski lodge is warm enough the omfit liner is essentially refitted every morning. Even without though I suspect you could simply leave the boots with liner in a warm room for a while and you’d be ready to go.

I can’t say anything else helpful other than to say I encourage you to get them as they're a great investment in your skiing.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
"I have two odd feet"

If you have any confidence the border will reopen this winter...consider a trip to the Intuition headquarters in Vancouver. A friend went there and got fitted with the model just right for his skiing and different sizes for his odd feet. He had previously bought and returned Intuitions that a big local shop sold him that could never be right for him. He was very impressed with the knowledge of the staff at headquarters (as it should be). Make an appointment...if the border ever reopens. And--I've been very pleased with Zipfits in the past, but I didn't have foot issues.

Unfortunately--7 day rolling average new Covid-19 deaths per million in U.S. & Canada:
1600967817498.png

jeff foreman

Putting on skis
Skier
"I have two odd feet"

If you have any confidence the border will reopen this winter...consider a trip to the Intuition headquarters in Vancouver. A friend went there and got fitted with the model just right for his skiing and different sizes for his odd feet. He had previously bought and returned Intuitions that a big local shop sold him that could never be right for him. He was very impressed with the knowledge of the staff at headquarters (as it should be). Make an appointment...if the border ever reopens. And--I've been very pleased with Zipfits in the past, but I didn't have foot issues.

Unfortunately--7 day rolling average new Covid-19 deaths per million in U.S. & Canada:
View attachment 110881
I have been there before as well and they are knowledgeable. That said, they are not trained boot fitters. I would call before you go to see if any trained bootfitters on staff currently.