• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Time to expand the quiver: ski for western trips

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been debating off and on adding another ski and decided screw it, just do it! I'm hoping I can get a little advice on this. I'd like to try to buy during the off-season to save some cash and don't mind used or a demo ski. Looking for something in the 100-110mm waist.

Stats:
5'-4"
180 lbs (fluctuates up and back down, TBH)
Advanced skier

Current skis:
Kastle FX94, 166
Kastle MX88, 168
I prefer shorter, lighter skis in general

I liked the FX94's when I was in Utah but I wished they floated better in the powder so that's why I'm looking in the 100-110mm range. I'm a Kastle fanboi so naturally I'm interested in the 105 and 105 HP. I've even found a couple of the 2015 FX104's that are still available so that's on my list as well. I'm open to ideas though and have started looking at the Kore 105, DPS, Renoun, Stockli and Line.

So, if not the Kastle options what would be a good choice for someone who love the Kastle feel?

Yes, I could just rent when I'm out west but what fun is that?!

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Get the Kastle BMX 105. I demoed it and loved it at Loveland this year (no pun intended). Look no further. :D

My gut says the 105 is probably the best bet. What length did you ski? Did you find that it skied true to size or shorter? The Kastle website ski finder says I should be on a 165cm length, which is what I'm more or less on with the other skis I have. I'm just wondering with the profile of the BMX 105 and it's effective edge I might like a 173cm

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For your stats, the 173 should be on the money.
I am couple inches taller and weight in at 168. Decent skier. For me, the 173 non-HP is lots of fun for me in softer snows. Pretty well balanced ski. I like it at +1.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
My gut says the 105 is probably the best bet. What length did you ski? Did you find that it skied true to size or shorter? The Kastle website ski finder says I should be on a 165cm length, which is what I'm more or less on with the other skis I have. I'm just wondering with the profile of the BMX 105 and it's effective edge I might like a 173cm

I skied both the 181 and the 189 in non-HP version. They ski true to length. even though I use a 190cm ski a lot I preferred the 181cm. It just felt more balanced. I felt no need to size up at all.

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
I own BMX105 HP in 181 cm and I love the for my ski trips out West. I am on them in my current avatar. I am heavier and taller at 190 pounds, 6'1". As for the length I definitely wouldn't want to go longer, but I generally don't ski very fast/aggressively off-piste, as for the float these provide enough float for me in powder.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
HP or regular ?
Thinking the HP might be like a wider enforcer100.

Regular. I thought hard about the HP but it seemed like everything I read said the non-HP would be best for most people.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Congrat’s on the purchase !
I had the BMX105 non-HP 181cm as my travel ski this past season and was/am very very happy with it. I used to travel with 2 skis but feel the 105 can satisfy most of my trip needs. Enjoy them !

That said, today I nabbed a smokin’ deal on some new Stockli SR97 177 -> Dawg’s earlier review of them vs the FX95 caught my interest in them. I’m a bit down in weight ( & older ) these days and am now more drawn to a bit lighter and softer skis, compared to my choices 5 years ago.

Last edited:
TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Congrat’s on the purchase !
I had the BMX105 non-HP 181cm as my travel ski this past season and was/am very very happy with it. I used to travel with 2 skis but feel the 105 can satisfy most of my trip needs. Enjoy them !

That said, today I nabbed a smokin’ deal on some new Stockli SR97 177 -> Dawg’s earlier review of them vs the FX95 caught my interest in them. I’m a bit down in weight ( & older ) these days and am now more drawn to a bit lighter and softer skis, compared to my choices 5 years ago.

Emotional feedback on a timeless wavelength ogsmile from one Rush lover to another...

Congrats on the Stocklis! I’ve never skied them but keep meaning to find a demo day to see what all the raves are about.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I really liked the BMX105 non HP, I found it less demanding without losing what I expected from a Kastle One Oh Something.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I really liked the BMX105 non HP, I found it less demanding without losing what I expected from a Kastle One Oh Something.

Sounds like what I was looking for! They arrived today I'm already looking forward to trying them out. What's your quiver?

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That said, today I nabbed a smokin’ deal on some new Stockli SR97 177 -

Andy, i was really hoping you were going to get the Stockli Laser SC in 170.. And then decide they were too short for you. ;)

Sponsor