• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison Time Machine Cage Match: The Völkl Mantra

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am doing am Ikonroad trip with a 2018 Kendo and a 2019 M5 Mantra in the middle of the quiver. Both are 170 and both brand new.
The M5 is a much better in softer snow. Whether bumps, trees or groomers.
Groomer wise, The M5 is better overall. The edges are much cleaner than the Kendo.

The Kendo shines when things get firm and/or ugly. The M5 needs more dampening when snow gets firm and ugly.

mogsie

Booting up
Skier
I am doing am Ikonroad trip with a 2018 Kendo and a 2019 M5 Mantra in the middle of the quiver. Both are 170 and both brand new.
The M5 is a much better in softer snow. Whether bumps, trees or groomers.
Groomer wise, The M5 is better overall. The edges are much cleaner than the Kendo.

The Kendo shines when things get firm and/or ugly. The M5 needs more dampening when snow gets firm and ugly.

Not sure to follow?

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure to follow?

All four previous gens of Mantra are much damper in refreeze and chicken head. The 2018 Kendo just eats them up. The new M5 deflects and chatters. May be more road hugging weight (beef) needed?

mogsie

Booting up
Skier
All four previous gens of Mantra are much damper in refreeze and chicken head. The 2018 Kendo just eats them up. The new M5 deflects and chatters. May be more road hugging weight (beef) needed?

Chicken,beef... I'm getting hungry here...
Ok I get the point. It means that Volkl didn't quite succeed to get the Mantra more easy/friendly without sacrifying some beef...

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Chicken,beef... I'm getting hungry here...
Ok I get the point. It means that Volkl didn't quite succeed to get the Mantra more easy/friendly without sacrifying some beef...

Yup.

James

Out There
Instructor
Deflex plate on an M5 for dampening?

The M5 is one of the densest built skis I'ver ever seen. By that I mean if you drop the tail on a thin rug over a concrete floor from say an inch up, it almost sounds like a steel plate. Same with tapping the tips together on the chairlift. Not sure how they do it. But, they need to add dampening.

I saw a a demo M5 with a huge chip lifted up on the side in front of the binding. If you took a hatchet it would have been hard to make what was done. Worse than any Kastle Mx. I said "wow, someone crashed hard" This guy nearby suddenly said " I didn't crash!"
"So, you crossed the tips?"
"No".
I guess he stared at it and it chipped.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The tail on the M5 is really nice. Firm enough to ride out on cut up crud but soft enough not to kick ya.

mogsie

Booting up
Skier
Deflex plate on an M5 for dampening?

The M5 is one of the densest built skis I'ver ever seen. By that I mean if you drop the tail on a thin rug over a concrete floor from say an inch up, it almost sounds like a steel plate. Same with tapping the tips together on the chairlift. Not sure how they do it. But, they need to add dampening.

I saw a a demo M5 with a huge chip lifted up on the side in front of the binding. If you took a hatchet it would have been hard to make what was done. Worse than any Kastle Mx. I said "wow, someone crashed hard" This guy nearby suddenly said " I didn't crash!"
"So, you crossed the tips?"
"No".
I guess he stared at it and it chipped.

I had the same feeling trying the new Experience 94 in 188. Felt beefy but as soone as I strated skiing (without even trying to go speed light), it was going all over the place...

Utahski

Cruisin' along
Skier
The first gen. Mantra is a pretty good ski. Mine are the black 1st year 94mm skis. Feel like a wide gs ski. The hold is great and they'll carve a trench on firm snow, surprisingly quick edge to edge, stable like a gs, and are good in pushed around soft stuff. I hardly ever use them, but on a several day trip they still might wind up in the truck along with 5 or 6 other pr of skis.

Sponsor

Staff online