• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Time for a carving ski ?

Skilex

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi guys !

First-time poster.

Region : Eastern Canada
Climate : Very variable
Terrain : 25% fast groomers / 25% moguls / 20% glades and denser woods / 10% Pow / 20% quick sideslope turns.
Meat : 5'10, 185 lbs, strong-legged expert with 20 yrs experience

I own a pair of surface double-time 180cm / 90 waist which I like as an all-mountain manoeuvrable ski with limited capabilities on-piste.

They do not hold their edge on our plentiful icy days but are very playful for almost everything else.

I am looking for a gripping ski for icy days in between snowfalls.

3 questions :

1. I tried the Brahmas 2020 82 /180cm which felt great and were very exciting deep carvers at slow/medium speed, but the outside ski started shaking pretty hard at higher speed. I really felt I needed to work them at low/med speed, which I liked.

They were a disaster for me personnally in terms of manoeuvrability for quick turns in deeper snow to avoid tight trees which is not my intended use for them anyways, but felt good in the harder moguls, albeit less playful than my current skis.

No icy slopes to test them on.

Q : Do you think the 2019 88 / 180cm would be more stable at high speed and would they hold their edge on icy days ?

2. I also tried the 2020 76 / 174cm Blizzard Firebird Competition. First time on a more carve-dedicated ski. Sluggish at low speed (which might be lessened with the current 2019 71/172cm), very stable at high / lightspeed in vertical terrain.

I felt the skis were doing most of the work for me which was odd at first. They did take me to a higher level in terms of speed and control and really held their edge with some speed like nothing I ever tried before. Time was limited so I did not take them off-piste. No ice to push them on that particular day either.

Q : If needed, do you see a problem with taking these in harder moguls once in a while if I feel like it or if the kids unexpectedly decide to cut throught the woods ? I know I know, but the question is still valid IMO...

3. Any other recommendation for a fun all-around more carve-oriented program for icy days or should I go full-dad with a dedicated carving-ski ?
Thanks !

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The versatility in the bumps is the achilles heel of most carving skis, while you can use them, they will fight you. Two skis that coem to mind, the Head V10, a wider carver that will work in the bumps (does have a pretty wide tip) but does have a speed limit and the upcoming Salomon S/Force Bold, asweet wide carver at 84 underfoot that will RIP.

TS
S

Skilex

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks guys !

Sponsor

Staff online