• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interested to get on the new Rossignol S7 series replacements as I have seen the prototypes online and the shape and metal options look similar to enforcers but hoping they are even more playful. Hoping they will be heavier and more stable than the current Black Ops 98 in their similar widths in the metal versions.

What length of Menace 98 did you try out btw? Great ski and loving mine. The 181cm is fun and playful and the 187cm gets more serious and similar to the M-Pro line in stability.

Btw-The new M Pro line is descending from the Legend Pro Rider F Team which is the 105mm charger only available in 192cm and has legendary charger status. Some years only sold in Europe and imported in for high speed lovers in North America. Weighs 2400-2600 grams each depending on vintage and laughs at 70mph. Lol
So that’s the M Pro 105 192cm still on the pic far left and the 99, 90 etc all have similar shapes to this ski. Doubt they are close to the weight of the original but much heavier than the older Legend 96 etc models I’m sure. Should be quiet, stable with traditional mounts. So your descriptions sound on point with a Legend Pro type of ski.

The M Free is their freestyle line with softer flexing but still solid weight twin tips with the M Free 106 that should be a fun ski and the M Free 118(old Menace Proto Factory ski). Menace name stays on models 98mm and below I guess.
@GregK , what you say here seems a lot, mostly impressively accurate, and fun.

By the way, one of the fattest (if not the fattest) of the new faux Marble top Rossis (maybe the 112 I tried?) has sneaked into the right edge of Dynastar lineup picture that Philpug posted above. (That "here and there" marble is white with faded black streaks/cracks.) One can see its characteristic shape in the picture also.

I don't really know enough about the legendary Legend Pro Rider series, other than a few haphazard demos, and many rides on the lifts with friends proudly on those ancient skis. (Just this season, I do own a new/old (NOS?) pair of like new Legend Pro XXL (typically partly orange) skis that are 186 in length, 109, I think, in width, with a turn radius of 36 or 37.

I hope to get on them at some point soon, but, man, I'm a bit hesitant - what is that radius for, other than Super G? Anyone heard of that antique version?

I can't rightly recall the 98 Menace length I tried, but I'm pretty sure 187. (These demo tents were set up for fell industry folk, after all.) I remember being surprised it was that long (will have to ask or look it up to be sure), but it was still relatively playful, and fun, surprisingly great in bumps, and generally a bit different type of ski than the M Pro line, including the 108 and 118 (which have a really unique feel and shape to them). The 98 carved very well with slight urging, but liked slight slarving also.

Whatever its length, that 98 Menace was pretty much the best bump ski, for me, that I tried that day (with that really heavy 192/112 Rossi a close but very different and improbable second).

At this particular tent show, for the men's side of the Dynastar tent in particular, I only saw the 98 Menace in addition to the M Pro. (Others were not called Menace, except for the 98 & 118, I seem to recall. Haha. The 118 seems to be a part of both lines, maybe?) The one Menace they had available (and in only that one length, at least at the moments I was at the tent) was in the old 19/20 graphics, I think; but they told me it would be unchanged otherwise.

The 108 M Pro version (not 105) I got on was described as partly a narrower Proto Menace 118, and it felt like it too - with better carving and "old snow" chops thrown in. Very Promising, very fun ski. Something to get excited about. (The version I tried was in the high 180s, as I recall.)

Brendan, one of the reps, said he is looking forward to using that ski a lot. (He already uses the Proto Menace 118 a lot, he told me last year.) I could experience why with the 108. ( I'd have to get lucky enough to ski the 118 in powder to understand that ski more.)

The M Pro series is stronger on edge, in general, than the 98 Black Ops, or the 98 Menace; and lighter weight than the 118 Black Ops design for sure (whereas some of the new Rossis have serious weight to them - like a rock, especially marble).

When I get home, maybe I'll try to figure out exactly which lengths of these things I skied, if possible. Probably, it was M Pro 90 at 177 or so, M Pro 99 at 184 or so, 99 also at 177, I think, and M Pro 108 at 186 or so. We liked the shorter of the 99s slightly better (for medium and lighter weight folk), but both 99 skis were very good.

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Glad you liked the Menace 98s! Very fun in the bumps.
Those marble looking top sheets in @Philpug pic are the Dynastar M Free skis which come in the 108 width and 118mm (which is just the renamed Menace Proto F Team) which it sounds like your rep has. They probably used the old Menace Proto for demoing as it hasn’t changed except for graphics. Hear the M Free 108 is based off the M Free 118 (old Menace Proto) so maybe that’s what you tried?
:huh:
172cm, 182cm and 192cm lengths for the M Free 108 and 180cm and 189cm in the M Free 118. Think I’d love the 108 based on it’s weight etc.

CE68EF22-9C2A-4D73-946E-E56B4A13AEA4.png

The Pro Rider 105 is only available in the 192cm and it’s a TANK, so I’m doubting that’s what you tried. It is similar to your old Legends in that they are all super traditional mounts, heavy and long turning radius so they are super stable. If your review is of the M Free 108 which I think it is, it’s making me what to try it even more!!
M Pro 90 and M Pro 99 look interesting too!

Sizing and models posted on TGRs 2021 thread.

6FAB30E6-6871-4898-9D5F-177ED67A5E5E.png

To add to this confusion, the Rossignol Black Ops spin off series have free ride models in the 96, 102 and 108mm widths so maybe the 108 version was one that you tried? No idea on graphics on that one.

Last edited:

ctsnow

Booting up
Skier

csm_Blaze-Collection-2021-2_f329b4ff33.jpg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 90431
I'm not sure I like that so many of the upcoming women's skis are all the same length across brands.
I'm also not sure I care for those graphics. I do like the short turn radius, though!

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
More 3d radius stuff in blaze from volkl and a baby 121 in the revolt 104, should be fun. I loved the other 2020 3d skies they had.

volkl getting some more playful skies as rumours suggested, guessing blaze to meet the enforcer series and such. Pair it all with some new duke Pt hybrid, and some new xt3s and 2021 Should be a fun year.

I own 0 volkls in the 90mm range of their newer stuff guessing its rare with otheres here as well.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Volkl stuff, you see a video closeup of the duke PT hybrid, some revolt 104 info, and there is a Deacon V-werks coming.

K2 disruption series, with screenshots from new k2 catalog.

nordica rear entry boot.. .....

Understanding german helps.

Last edited:

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Glad you liked the Menace 98s! Very fun in the bumps.
Those marble looking top sheets in @Philpug pic are the Dynastar M Free skis which come in the 108 width and 118mm (which is just the renamed Menace Proto F Team) which it sounds like your rep has. They probably used the old Menace Proto for demoing as it hasn’t changed except for graphics. Hear the M Free 108 is based off the M Free 118 (old Menace Proto) so maybe that’s what you tried?
:huh:
172cm, 182cm and 192cm lengths for the M Free 108 and 180cm and 189cm in the M Free 118. Think I’d love the 108 based on it’s weight etc.

View attachment 90427

The Pro Rider 105 is only available in the 192cm and it’s a TANK, so I’m doubting that’s what you tried. It is similar to your old Legends in that they are all super traditional mounts, heavy and long turning radius so they are super stable. If your review is of the M Free 108 which I think it is, it’s making me what to try it even more!!
M Pro 90 and M Pro 99 look interesting too!

Sizing and models posted on TGRs 2021 thread.

View attachment 90429

To add to this confusion, the Rossignol Black Ops spin off series have free ride models in the 96, 102 and 108mm widths so maybe the 108 version was one that you tried? No idea on graphics on that one.

As a guy with a lot of experience with the Legend series, aside from the twin tip the M Free series seems most comparable with the old Legends (Legend Pro aside) in terms of stiffness, forgiveness, etc. than the regular M series. Unless I’m misreading things the new models of the M series will be much stiffer and damper than the Legends.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
As a guy with a lot of experience with the Legend series, aside from the twin tip the M Free series seems most comparable with the old Legends (Legend Pro aside) in terms of stiffness, forgiveness, etc. than the regular M series. Unless I’m misreading things the new models of the M series will be much stiffer and damper than the Legends.

That’s what I’m hearing too. Heavier, stiffer and damper than the current Legends. Anxious to try them too.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm also not sure I care for those graphics.
In person they're pretty cool. You actually look through the top to see the construction. It's not totally clear but more of a colored opaque.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
In person they're pretty cool. You actually look through the top to see the construction. It's not totally clear but more of a colored opaque.
I suppose I'll see them in a few weeks :ogbiggrin:
I never get hung up on graphics anyway.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Must be the new Kastle MX98...(yes I am hearing the MX99 is now a MX98 again)
82571311_2709644559084715_7781213879618502656_o.jpg

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ so sad, gonna scratch those bases when he drops.
That tip looks to have quite some rise, nothing like on my previous MX88 , which was more a wide piste ski in look.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dalbello's new Il Morro with it's sneaker inspired motif
08DB30EA-017B-4647-B81A-FAB91F54515F.jpeg

Armada's Declivity line which looks like a ton o'fun.
C713432F-FF3A-4662-9C67-C986EF13367C.jpeg

Supergaper

Slaying it gently.
Skier
Status
Not open for further replies.