• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bluedon

Putting on skis
Skier
The newest report on Timber-lies indicates that Timberline withheld money from employee paychecks for taxes but never remitted that money to IRS. If true, Timberline has more legal woes than I ever imagined.

As a CPA, if this is proven to be true, I believe the correct term for this is TAX FRAUD. Uncle Sam likes to get his $$ and get it on time.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As a CPA, if this is proven to be true, I believe the correct term for this is TAX FRAUD. Uncle Sam likes to get his $$ and get it on time.
and as they say..."the juice is running..."

James

Out There
Instructor
Any maple trees? Could they make $ off sap? Grasping at straws...

Nate Tobik

Booting up
Skier
Heard a rumor (and take it for what it's worth..) that Snowshoe put in a bid for Timberline. Timberline turned it down because it was "too low", whereas SS built the bid around expected capex to get up to speed.

My take is there are bids floating around, but they're reasonable on the grounds of "$x gets us in the door then we spend 10x to make this useful." Whereas Timberline thinks it's already fine, so anything less than full price is an insult.

RodneyBD

Hatfield made rain for L.A.
Skier
Seems likely they were receiving offers during the downward spiral... which I'm guessing resulted in some of their crazy facebook posts about how "they are a family of self made immigrants" and "would never sell" and "keeping it for their grandchildren" etc etc etc.

What is sad/ironic/just plain nuts is that they probably can't sell it now given the ongoing receivership legal maneuverings, not to mention the criminal indictment. If this were a TV movie you'd probably stop watching half-way through because the characters are so stupid.

Bluedon

Putting on skis
Skier
Heard a rumor (and take it for what it's worth..) that Snowshoe put in a bid for Timberline. Timberline turned it down because it was "too low", whereas SS built the bid around expected capex to get up to speed.

My take is there are bids floating around, but they're reasonable on the grounds of "$x gets us in the door then we spend 10x to make this useful." Whereas Timberline thinks it's already fine, so anything less than full price is an insult.

SS is owned by Alterra so that would be driven by them. IMO TL doesn't seem like a good fit. Not a destination place, heck, it's a dump. Plus Alterra already has access to the DC market via SS. The avid skier "may" buy an Ikon pass just for a single weekend in SS but the real value is in all the destination resorts out west.

That said, I wish they would buy it. It would give us all another local ski area under their Ikon Pass umbrella.

jdm00

Putting on skis
Skier
I'd probably get an IKON pass or joint SS/TL pass if that came to be. Are there any Pennsylvania resorts on IKON?

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Gotta save some for the Peaks Pass Huns.

Oh-you just trying to piss off Mid Atlantic skiers like me! I’m anxious to see how many Peak passes they sell locally and how much the decision to stop selling the Advantage and Night Club card affects the local resorts revenue.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Oh-you just trying to piss off Mid Atlantic skiers like me!

It ain't me doin' it. Put the blame where it belongs - with Peaks :cool:

I’m anxious to see how many Peak passes they sell locally and how much the decision to stop selling the Advantage and Night Club card affects the local resorts revenue.

Watch also for dynamic online pricing.

It will be faster to fly to Colorado.

Not really. I'm 7 hours and change door to door at either Stratton or Winterpark. OFC, at this point I'm heartily sick of Stratton.

Last edited:

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree with JohnL that a co-op is not going to happen. A country club scenario is not going to happen either. It's going to have to be a private party or group of folks....maybe even an owner of another ski resort in the mid-A . From what I have been hearing, I would be very surprised if to some degree potential buyers aren't already lined up. Maybe 10 million gets it back to the state/condition it was in 10 years ago, but I think that would be a mistake. If it's going to be done right/be a true 4 season resort with quality facilities, state of the art lifts, snowmaking, summer programs and have any ability to handle the growth that is occurring in Tucker County then it's going to take closer to 20.

So since you started this thread on November 9, it has almost 800 replies and 81 THOUSAND views. Does anyone think that potential investors would find this level of interest in a small West Virginia resort with 1,000' vertical significant?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So since you started this thread on November 9, it has almost 800 replies and 81 THOUSAND views. Does anyone think that potential investors would find this level of interest in a small West Virginia resort with 1,000' vertical significant?

I don't. This entire thread has been centered on tactical framing and not cogent future progress - and so it represents political entertainment more than it represents completely invested concern.

Sponsor