• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone else feel like Timberline is the southern Saddleback? Yeah I know Saddleback did not the same management issues, but there was the lack of money for the last lift upgrade, the remote location, the devoted angry beavers, the resort real estate, the failed rescue, the attempted coop, Rangely and Davis. Heck even the parking was similar. It's not a perfect match, but the end result looks similar. In case you cannot read it - I really liked Saddleback.

edit: haha, I just ran a search and found out Saddleback was discussed 2 pages ago. I can't keep up.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
And and furthermore (to quote Chrissie Hynde), is there a sustainable enterprise smaller than the current Timberline? What about one new lift to the top and a repair or used replacement of the Woods hole lift (keep the towers and footings) ? What about snowmaking on a few good ways down, eg Sally, Lightning, Heaven, Woods, and special occasion natural snow on the rest, kind of like CV ? Is there some other point where costs and revenue intersect ? Did the homeowners have a mandatory resort fee ? I would like to think there is a less risk sustainable alternative. Pipe dream I suppose, the future is probably 1M houses up and down the slopes.

This is all I need - 1 chair and 1 t-bar.
1456615066.jpeg

Last edited:

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
The drama is the same but Timberline does not live under the shadow of Sugarloaf and is much closer and easier to get to from major metro areas. It also exists in a microclimate few competitors have. One can only imagine what the place would be like with snowmaking on par with Snowshoe or Whitetail.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
For whatever reason I just can’t get excited about Snowshoe.
Snowshoe......been there done that. I used to ski Snowshoe exclusively until I started skiing in the land of milk and honey.

Mook21

Booting up
Skier
Received some Facebook torture today: Photo from 4 years ago riding in the powder in Cherry Bowl with my son! Great memories there.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Snowshoe......been there done that. I used to ski Snowshoe exclusively until I started skiing in the land of milk and honey.

With me it’s not about the terrain or conditions, I think. It’s just hard to get to, crowded and expensive for what it is. If I was close enough to do mid-week day trips maybe I’d feel differently. For the 4-5 hours to get there, cost to ski and expensive lodging, I can fly to Colorado and ski multiple resorts. I guess long story short, it doesn’t cut it for me as a destination resort. I’d much rather make the few hour trip to 7 Springs for comparable skiing.

jdm00

Putting on skis
Skier
Snowshoe is my go to because the season passes are cheap, we have the lodging covered, and from Cincinnati, we're driving a ways to get to better skiing. Colorado is just a bit cost-prohibitive with small kids.

I agree that it is hard to get to, and can be very crowded. Living in the middle of a metropolitan area of 2.2 million people, I don't mind that it's in the middle of nowhere once we are there.

AndyGene

Putting on skis
Skier
Snowshoe is my go to because the season passes are cheap, we have the lodging covered, and from Cincinnati, we're driving a ways to get to better skiing. Colorado is just a bit cost-prohibitive with small kids.

I agree that it is hard to get to, and can be very crowded. Living in the middle of a metropolitan area of 2.2 million people, I don't mind that it's in the middle of nowhere once we are there.
I also live in Cincinnati. Snowshoe doesn’t feel nearly as crowded as Perfect North does on a busy day. One day I hope to own a place in the mountains to make lodging more affordable and force me to get out more often.

Bluedon

Putting on skis
Skier
Snowshoe is a PITA to get to and it's crowded on weekends and holidays. It's also expensive on weekends.
Midweeks are the key. Slopeside lodging is reasonable Sun - Thu and a season pass is $259.

Bluedon

Putting on skis
Skier
Correct me if I'm wrong but they usually do not post shut off notices unless you are more than 2 months behind.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
I have heard plenty of rumors over the last few days but all I know for sure is this. I drove through the parking lot last Thursday morning and there were six guys walking around the equipment bone yard taking pictures and making notes. All of the fan guns they have left are still up on the mountain. Fred Herz was with them but it looked like he wasn't too happy to be there. Probably won't be too hard to find out if anything happened with the power company today.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
The newest report on Timber-lies indicates that Timberline withheld money from employee paychecks for taxes but never remitted that money to IRS. If true, Timberline has more legal woes than I ever imagined.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The newest report on Timber-lies indicates that Timberline withheld money from employee paychecks for taxes but never remitted that money to IRS. If true, Timberline has more legal woes than I ever imagined.

I knew this was coming sooner or later. When you aren’t paying normal bills you certainly aren’t paying the bills that take a little effort and accounting.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah, the government frowns upon that.

Sponsor

Staff online