• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
The receivership hearing was postponed until 28 May because the Herz’s claim they need more time to find legal representation.

jdm00

Putting on skis
Skier
I think the (MLK?) quote is that the arc of the universe is long, but it bends towards justice. But the sentiment is understood. Hope they get this all figured out and get this moving in a positive direction for everyone in the area.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Yes, my bad: it should be universe and it is a quote form MLK. I used it to emphasize how the entire community is being punished by the disfunction, selfishness, and financial malpractices of two individuals. I hope the resort goes into receivership in May.

Ron Taylor

Whiskeysipper
Skier
Well, the fallout from Timberline has begun. I don't think it is a coincidence but Mountain Trail Rides and Stables and Ranch, Hell Bender Burritos, Flying Pigs Cafe and Windwood Resort with Amelia's restaurant have all gone up for sale in the past couple of weeks. These are institutions in CV. Deerfield Restaurant closed in late December as did the gourmet store/breakfast bar in Thomas. We can only hope some good folks with some spirit and entrepreneurial aspirations purchase each and carry on their good services and products.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Might be wrong but I'm not so sure this is fallout from Timberline's current situation. Deerfield closed on the last day of October. The timing was for sure the fact that winter is no longer the high season for tourism in Canaan Valley. The former operators of Deerfield are planning a new eatery in the valley, stay tuned for more on that. There are some local investors preparing to re-open the restaurant at Deerfield. A new restaurant, The 912 Brew Pub opened in the old Blackwater Brewing property in Davis this month. People sell businesses for lots of reasons. Tucker County West Virginia ain't dead yet.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, the fallout from Timberline has begun. I don't think it is a coincidence but Mountain Trail Rides and Stables and Ranch, Hell Bender Burritos, Flying Pigs Cafe and Windwood Resort with Amelia's restaurant have all gone up for sale in the past couple of weeks. These are institutions in CV. Deerfield Restaurant closed in late December as did the gourmet store/breakfast bar in Thomas. We can only hope some good folks with some spirit and entrepreneurial aspirations purchase each and carry on their good services and products.

Might be wrong but I'm not so sure this is fallout from Timberline's current situation. Deerfield closed on the last day of October. The timing was for sure the fact that winter is no longer the high season for tourism in Canaan Valley. The former operators of Deerfield are planning a new eatery in the valley, stay tuned for more on that. There are some local investors preparing to re-open the restaurant at Deerfield. A new restaurant, The 912 Brew Pub opened in the old Blackwater Brewing property in Davis this month. People sell businesses for lots of reasons. Tucker County West Virginia ain't dead yet.

Not knowing the landscape, are these in town, on the way to Timberline or at the mountain?

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Good question. So Tucker County WV is home to Canaan Valley. North of the Valley are Davis and Thomas, small towns that are developing into Outdoor recreation destinations on their own. The three ski areas are "in the valley" as are Mountain Trail rides, Windwood/Amelia's and Deerfield. Hellbenders is in Davis and Flying Pigs is in Thomas.

RodneyBD

Hatfield made rain for L.A.
Skier
Somewhere in this thread or on FB are references to Timberline's ownership structure... specifically that Frederick Reichle ("Doc") owns 90%, and the nutty nephew and his deranged spouse, Fred and Tracy Herz, own 10%... can anyone verify or weigh in on this?

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Timberline is circling the bowl. There is nothing left to own but i think there is a court document that Fred has power of attorney for Doc and Fred's mother regarding matters related to the Timberslime empire.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Good question. So Tucker County WV is home to Canaan Valley. North of the Valley are Davis and Thomas, small towns that are developing into Outdoor recreation destinations on their own. The three ski areas are "in the valley" as are Mountain Trail rides, Windwood/Amelia's and Deerfield. Hellbenders is in Davis and Flying Pigs is in Thomas.

I get that options were limited and we're not fortune tellers but probably would have been better to sell a year or two ago. Right now is probably the WORST time to try to dump those businesses and properties. I have a hunch that 5 years down the road things will come together again for that industry.. under new ownership of course.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
End is happening faster than expect. Biggest question is when Phoenix rises from the ashes.

Prolly got the analogy wrong but still believe the Germans invaded Pearl Harbor. So wadda I know.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
End is happening faster than expect. Biggest question is when Phoenix rises from the ashes.

Prolly got the analogy wrong but still believe the Germans invaded Pearl Harbor. So wadda I know.

No, you got it right.

It was definitely the Germans.