• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
While we are on a weather theme the 1st clues to this winter are showing up...in the last many few years the early snows have been in Siberia..this years early snowpack is building on the Canadian side of the Arctic..this could have serious implications for our weather in the mid Atlantic...what they are or could be I have no freakin clue...just keeping it real..Stay Tuned! cursnow_alaska.gif

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Ok guys, asking for your judgement on this one:

I procrastinated (typical) and the cabin I had my heart set on got completely booked between Jan 4th and March 3rd.

now, I could book at other places but they’re more expensive and definitely not as nice.

so, if you were in my shoes would you pick Jan right after New Years,March 4-5, or would you book somewhere else?

I’m trying to get into some of that timberline tree skiing...

Things will be different this year for sure. For starters, there may be more snow in the woods from increased snowmaking. That might be a game changer for early January when the lake effect machine gets going. We can get up to 8 inches a day from lake effect. However, we‘ve been skunked the last few seasons. The la nina could change this pattern. Hard to say.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Things will be different this year for sure. For starters, there may be more snow in the woods from increased snowmaking. That might be a game changer for early January when the lake effect machine gets going. We can get up to 8 inches a day from lake effect. However, we‘ve been skunked the last few seasons. The la nina could change this pattern. Hard to say.
impossible to say...i've given up on predictions based on ninas ninos mojos...all the indices ect...Im playing the odds...
....last two 102 inch seasons have been about as bad as they get in Canaan and the 0ne before that was saved by an Epic March...so with a 19 year average of 170 inches and a 5 year average of 124 im going to split the uprights with 147 but add on 10 for the canaan magic and I get 157....add that with great snowmaking and its a winner!!

....PS...25 degree low in a Canaan Valley frost pocket yesterday..30 day b4 which was the 1st freezing temps of the year...

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
I'm looking forward to Saturday/Sunday mornings temps. A little warm up today, but the weekend is looking cold at night. 57/34 - 57/33 in Davis. So in the valley, and on the mountain....

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
Maybe, but the same crew doing that work is installing piping across the base area up the middle of the slope. That's why I'm assuming its snow making piping.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
All of the snowmaking piping at the base of the mountain is being replaced and in some cases the existing pipe is being replaced with larger pipe.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
Huh... very interesting that the Dopplemayer crew that built the lifts is actually from the Canaan Valley! Probably nice for them to be home every night rather than on the road someplace.

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
I just spoke to the local Dopplemayer guy, he's from Harmon. Chairs will be finished by Friday (total of 115 chairs or so between both lifts), both cables will be installed the last week of September, and the load test is scheduled for mid-October.
Also, all the piping being installed is for the snowmaking equipment.

Hand full of workers today, including a "guest" appearance. Chip Perfect is running around moving equipment with a Bob Cat. Obviously, a hands on owner.

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
All new electric is being installed, there are 5 large transformers in the parking lot getting ready to be installed.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
I remember talking to that Dude in early Aug while his crew was working on it..I remember asking him where they were from and was kind of shocked he said Harman!...they were having issues lining some stuff up and I enjoyed the banter back n forth between the dude on top of the lift and the guy I was talking to.. interesting....I should have mentioned that when I posted pics but im Lame...oh well...