• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
I spoke to someone who has had conversations about opening and closing dates with the Perfects. They think Thanksgiving through Easter is viable at TM. Woods Hole is being turned into a beginner terrain park and the learning area will be near where the Silver Queen bottom station used to be and will have a magic carpet. No word on season passes but this person gestimates, $330 give or take. He also thinks skier numbers could triple from Timberline‘s former high of 120,000. Perfect North apparently does 500,000 (a number I find very hard to believe but these guys really know how to run a ski hill so maybe so). A big problem right now is parking for day visitors. The Perfects are working on solutions. No word on lodging construction but the day lodge has been gutted and an expanded outdoor seating area is being built. The Patrol will be volunteer.

Ski Patrol at Perfect North is National Ski Patrol. I'll assume they plan to stay with that.

@Carolinacub Yes there are plenty of patrollers around Canaan Valley. Timberline previously had paid and volunteer patrollers.

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not to throw this thread into the way-back machine, but did anything ever happen to the Herzs regarding all of the allegations that were brought against them? I won't rehash all of the charges, but some of the more serious allegations were of tax fraud. The state might have let some of this stuff slide once they were removed from Timberline ownership, but I can't imagine that the Feds would be as lenient.

Lakeside Chutes

Booting up
Skier
National Ski Patrol is an educational organization delivering education programs (OEC & OET) for Ski patrols, Bike patrols and other outdoor activities. Each Ski Patrol (paid and or volunteer) work for their individual Mountain for Mountain Management. Many Ski patrols in the US use NSP members (typically small -mid size areas) while many large resorts are not affiliated with NSP.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
National Ski Patrol is an educational organization delivering education programs (OEC & OET) for Ski patrols, Bike patrols and other outdoor activities. Each Ski Patrol (paid and or volunteer) work for their individual Mountain for Mountain Management. Many Ski patrols in the US use NSP members (typically small -mid size areas) while many large resorts are not affiliated with NSP.
Absolutely true. I will throw out the caveat though that some resorts that require at least an EMT level of training also recommend OET because of the focus on non-urban emergency's. IE: you're not working out of an ambulance you're working out of a vest.
But please note I said recommend not require.

RodneyBD

Hatfield made rain for L.A.
Skier
These Perfect North insights are interesting. For you PN skiers/patrollers out there: does PN let one or more trails bump up during the season; and do they leave any trails ungroomed on the rare occasion when it snows?

The Colonel

Putting on skis
Skier
Not to throw this thread into the way-back machine, but did anything ever happen to the Herzs regarding all of the allegations that were brought against them? I won't rehash all of the charges, but some of the more serious allegations were of tax fraud. The state might have let some of this stuff slide once they were removed from Timberline ownership, but I can't imagine that the Feds would be as lenient.
Some time back I remember a post that indicated the drug charges against Doc were removed. That’s all I have heard about. I wonder if the Herz & Doc still own houses at TL, or were the houses part of the bankruptcy sale?

TS
Dr. Bighair

Dr. Bighair

Dr. Style
Skier

That's a good question for the tucker county prosecuting attorney and other local authorities who dropped the ball or just chose to not prosecute for one reason or another. Seems to me that they just let the embezzlement of 100's of thousands of dollars from homeowners slide as well as many other illegal activities such as check fraud when writing bad checks to local employees, etc, etc, etc. IMO a real cowardly move for a county that takes the highest property taxes from those same homeowners who were robbed...and keeps that tax money for parsons and doesn't spend it in the valley. Anyone see the documentary on the murdered russian kid that has also been mysteriously not investigated by local authorities. Doc's drugs charges were totally different. He turned states evidence for the feds to get out of jail time.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
The water bill is going up for homeowners—partly because there is no hope that the receiver will ever get the money owed by Timberline Utilities back. The upside is that property values are heading up and the market for properties is robust. Hence, anyone who needs to get out, can sell.

Last edited:

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
These Perfect North insights are interesting. For you PN skiers/patrollers out there: does PN let one or more trails bump up during the season; and do they leave any trails ungroomed on the rare occasion when it snows?
They will often leave some trails ungroomed during periods of intense snowmaking, I would say often to the detriment of skiing conditions. Their ability to make snow is second to none but their grooming could use some serious improvement in both timing and quality. I am curious to see if some of the same practices make their way to TM and if so how they are received.

As far as the ski patrol at PNS the last I heard it was 100% volunteer but they have large urban centers to draw from. I don't know how that will play out in rural WV but it will be interesting to watch. My guess is that they might have to reconsider that plan.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
If that’s the case that’s a pretty steep price since I paid $43 a day at Snowshoe last season. Hopefully they stick to the half price tickets for PNS season pass holders.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
I just purchased two Gold passes. I agree that the cost is a tad high, but the pass will apparently pay for itself after five weekend day visits. With homeowners and ski team families, TM has a captive market and doesn’t need to offer cut rate prices. Moreover, it’s a small price to pay for a greatly upgraded ski experience.

Swimski

Rough Edges
Skier
In for two weekday passes. It'll be well worth it if the skiing season is extended, and if not, it's still the best scenario. Support your local mountain.

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
In for 3 Gold myself. I just emailed with TM, they will be offering other discounts at a later date. Those discounts will not be as good as the 30% currently being offered.

Sponsor