• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
86 at my beach camp in NC today..ive been watching Snow Showers drift across the Valley from the CV Midstation cam since early afternoon...not sticking but it will tonite...7.5 hour drive apart...2 different worlds....

The Colonel

Putting on skis
Skier
Who is going to educate the Perfects on how to throw a Snowy Luau?
“Snowy Luau” is a must! A very unique happening, especially here in the Mid-Atlantic. Completely different than the standard ski area party!! They need to find out what it was like a few years back when all sub events were up and running. I mean, who doesn’t want to see JimK on stage convorting will hula dancers! Hopefully TL regulars have info on the window painter, the Hawaiian Music and Dance troop, etc. Many of us have pictures and videos we can share!! Or maybe the Perfects’ would prefer a different “Perfect” party event! Anybody know how to send “Snowy Luau” details and memories to Chip Perfect?

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Turns out I wasn’t the friend @Jim Kenney was talking about, but trust me, even in my most wanker moments, I’m a bit more popular than his friend. :ogbiggrin:

@dbostedo , @Philpug - funkiness with iOS and quoted replies. Need to hit gear icon first, otherwise reply menu disabled. Several posts now.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Need to hit gear icon first, otherwise reply menu disabled. Several posts now.
@JohnL - for me (on iOS, Android, or my PC), it remembers what state I left it in... if I hit the gear icon, it seems to remember. So when I go to another thread, it's in the same state. I just tried it, and it seems to function as I'd expect. Maybe it's a cookie problem? (i.e. it's not remembering how you left it?)

teebrews

Poachin' your zit hill
Skier
Pass Pulled
Well at least Perfect has a good head's up on the fact that there will not be a 2020-2021 ski season. It would be much worse if they were further along in the process.

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
Kwillg6 - from DCSki -The construction is ongoing. Dopplemeyer is on site getting the foundations for the lift bases put together with re-bar. The parking lots are full with construction equipment and materials. This place will ROCK this season and although I don’t want to hassle a lot of folks, I hope they have a great season. Timberline Mountain will be the mountain to ski in 20/21.

The Colonel

Putting on skis
Skier
Kwillg6 - from DCSki -The construction is ongoing. Dopplemeyer is on site getting the foundations for the lift bases put together with re-bar. The parking lots are full with construction equipment and materials. This place will ROCK this season and although I don’t want to hassle a lot of folks, I hope they have a great season. Timberline Mountain will be the mountain to ski in 20/21.
Thanks for the positive ground truth observation, Kwillg6. Sure wish the Perfects would post more pictures. Have you heard anything about the snowmaking plans? That to me is the long pole in the tent if the want to have everything open early season!!! Stay safe and take care, The Colonel

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
Colonel as part of the snow making, I'd argue water source? Right now they are limited. Perfect's either need to dig a large pond somewhere?? Or, tap directly into the Blackweater river, which I don't see the Govt. allowing. though the pond at Woods End is sourced from Blackwater.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
winter decided to show up mid April in the land of canaan and most of the country...Denver area just beat 1909 as the snowiest winter ever in modern day recording 4-15-20.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Low End

Booting up
Skier
Colonel as part of the snow making, I'd argue water source? Right now they are limited. Perfect's either need to dig a large pond somewhere?? Or, tap directly into the Blackweater river, which I don't see the Govt. allowing. though the pond at Woods End is sourced from Blackwater.
Water withdrawal points on creeks and rivers are commonplace in West Virginia in the Oil and Gas Industry. They are always dependent on a minimal flow in the watershed to happen but ski season is the time of year that water levels would more than likely be sufficient.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
The former owners have/had a pump station in the Blackwater already. I think the lack of water was possibly due to a lack of money.

The Colonel

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for the positive ground truth observation, Kwillg6. Sure wish the Perfects would post more pictures. Have you heard anything about the snowmaking plans? That to me is the long pole in the tent if the want to have everything open early season!!! Stay safe and take care, The Colonel
Regardless of where the new TLM gets water for making snow (they could build a large huge water tank like at Wintergreen) the key to efficient snowmaking is modernizing or replacing the system that previously existed at TL with pipes and automatic fan guns covering all the slopes, no more dragging hoses and guns from one trail to the next, etc!