• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
So if they put a magic carpet where the Silver Queen was, what happens with Woods Hole? Will they open it up at the top to make it accessible? Teaching beginners at Timberline there was a high possibility of getting a never ever to the double lift in an hour fifteen lesson. Now not so much?

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So if they put a magic carpet where the Silver Queen was, what happens with Woods Hole? Will they open it up at the top to make it accessible? Teaching beginners at Timberline there was a high possibility of getting a never ever to the double lift in an hour fifteen lesson. Now not so much?

I was thinking they’d put the carpet on Woods Hole. I guess my description wasn’t so good cuz I forget those lower slopes even have names. Crossroads - I guess what they call the area in front of the lodge - will be interesting since it will have higher traffic since everyone would have to ski past the lodge with the Queen gone. They’ll need a bunch of netting to slow people down and control flow.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Where they ultimately put the beginner area depends upon what they end up doing with the base lodge. With the new lifts, they seem to be shifting the base downhill. You don’t want the beginner area too far uphill, I would think.

Crossroads in front of current lodge would be getting 2/3 of mountain traffic? That could get interesting especially with previous teaching area down there.

@jimmy where do you think they should put the beginner area?

DC_Doug

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I was on-site today to eyeball the lift stakes.

You are correct - Good Intentions is staked for the quad lift. It looks as if the quad will overshoot Winterset Spur and unload in that stand of trees to the right of and downhill from Hiz.

The site of the old Borvig/Partek triple is staked for the six-shooter.

I wonder if the new owners are planning to add any lights for night skiing. It sure would be nice to ski Salamander ("the South's longest trail") at night. It would broaden the appeal of night skiing, and (possibly) bringing more day-trippers to the mountain. That, and cruising long greens at night is fun.

Where do you think they’ll put the mid-station? Edit: top of 4 pack that ends at mid mountain.

They could run it straight up Good Intentions, ending up between Upper Dew and Heaven, allowing access to Hiz. Would have to knock down some trees at top. But that would cause a lot of congestion with traffic coming down Upper Heaven.

Or cut diagonally to looker’s left, ending up around Hiz. That would require cutting down a few more trees. And grading a landing area around Hiz.

I‘m guessing a magic carpet up the side of the bunny slope, starting above the main lower area. If the Queen is gone, that lower drag will get a lot more traffic, making speed and flow control important.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Snowing and sticking up in the Valley right now but in the words of the great Hillary..."what does it even matter at this point??!!?"...dunno...get us over 90 inches for the year?

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So what do folks think PN will do with the bunkhouse? What about parking?

More efficient parking will get more vehicles into existing lot. But I think they need to regrade surface and add more base material. Paving would be best, but prefer they spend money elsewhere first.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
PN needs to install a webcam so we can watch the lifts being built while in quarantine.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
PN needs to install a webcam so we can watch the lifts being built while in quarantine.
That would be nice... Or at least post regular pics of the progress. They started a "Project Gallery" on the site, but haven't been updating it.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
In light of Vail Resorts' announcement, I'm fearful that their plans may yet be suspended. PA has suspended all construction projects for now. Could WV do likewise? Then there will be supply issues too.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
In light of Vail Resorts' announcement, I'm fearful that their plans may yet be suspended. PA has suspended all construction projects for now. Could WV do likewise? Then there will be supply issues too.
They could... but PN didn't take the kind of financial hit that Vail has with the March closures. I'm hopeful that the funding is still there to do it. But whether the workers will be there, the supply chain will be there, or the Perfect's will continue to fund it are all unknown (to me at least).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Being prvately owned I think this will work in their favor. This coudl be a great opportunity for them to negotiate a better price for the lifts with Vail cancelling/delaying their projects.

Lift Blog

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
It's still early for lift construction. I think the Timberlines and Saddlebacks of the world will still get their lifts completed as long as they keep making payments. A lot of production has already happened. Starting on site in June or July is not uncommon in normal times. The lift companies will be highly motivated to get the projects they have left finished in order to maintain their cash flow.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
They could... but PN didn't take the kind of financial hit that Vail has with the March closures. I'm hopeful that the funding is still there to do it. But whether the workers will be there, the supply chain will be there, or the Perfect's will continue to fund it are all unknown (to me at least).

Plus they will take a lot bigger hit by *not* installing the lifts as planned. Timberline couldn't open. How many skiers will Vail resorts lose if they don't have the planned lift upgrades? Maybe 0-1%, rather than 100%.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Plus they will take a lot bigger hit by *not* installing the lifts as planned. Timberline couldn't open. How many skiers will Vail resorts lose if they don't have the planned lift upgrades? Maybe 0-1%, rather than 100%.
Excellent point!