• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Dr. Bighair

Dr. Bighair

Dr. Style
Skier
I was just about to post that document. I immediately thought about the missing moneys from the realty when I read the latest bankruptcy motion. Wonder if phred and tracy are tyring to go after Neeley in attempts to clear themselves from illegal activity related to the realty.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for keeping his thread open, Phil and mods. I really don't have much to contribute but I do want to keep informed. I always liked Timberline over Snowshoe. The shorter drive time was a factor but T-line's terrain was the real draw. I met some really great people that turned out for our Mid-A gatherings who made T-line their home hill. A few have become mainstays at the national gatherings. The Mid-A Gatherings we held there were always a blast and most times we were blessed with good conditions. I missed the last one held there. I hope someday we can all meet there again.

Forgive me for this plug but I want to let all Mid-A skiers in the region know that there will be another Mid-A Gathering this season Feb. 7 - 9. The venue will be Laurel Mountain/Seven Springs. Those that know me also know that I have been a long-time advocate for Laurel and the decade long struggle to get the place reopened. Against great odds, we managed to convince the PA State Parks Bureau to invest $6.5 million to upgrade the infrastructure. What we had going for us was the fact that Laurel is a PA State Park and the officials there convinced Seven Spring to run the operation. The State wanted a bonafide, successful ski operator to run the business so believe it or not, if it weren't for Bob Nutting, there would be no Laurel Mountain.

Laurel is relatively small but the snowmaking acreage they cover is good including one of the steepest and longest runs in the region, Lower Wildcat. Since Laurel reopened, a dedicated cadre of volunteers has been clearing natural snow trails and glades to diversify the terrain when Mother Nature cooperates. Seven Springs and their 285 acres of snowmaking is the co-venue to ensure that there is enough variety to sustain a weekend of dedicated skiers.

I am in the process of securing discounts for participants of our Mid-A gathering. Last year I was able to get folks the day rate group discounts over a weekend at Laurel. I have received a preliminary OK from Laurel's management but I have yet to work out the details. I hope to include discounts for Seven Springs also. There will soon be an official announcement post to outline the details.

Thank you for reading. Now we return to our regularly scheduled topic, Timberline.

Over the past ? winters, we have had way below average snow years in the Mid Atlantic. Hopefully, we are due for a 180+ year in Canaan Valley, which used to be the norm. The lifts won't be spinning at T-Line this year (they will at CVR and you have human powered at Whitegrass). If we have a good natural snow year, Laurel or Blue Knob would be a very good substitute for the T-Line trees. I skied Laurel Mountain the one year it was open in the mid aughts.

Kemperski

Getting on the lift
Skier
Over the past ? winters, we have had way below average snow years in the Mid Atlantic. Hopefully, we are due for a 180+ year in Canaan Valley, which used to be the norm. The lifts won't be spinning at T-Line this year (they will at CVR and you have human powered at Whitegrass). If we have a good natural snow year, Laurel or Blue Knob would be a very good substitute for the T-Line trees. I skied Laurel Mountain the one year it was open in the mid aughts.

Snowfall isn't the only issue, the temperature roller coaster resulting in repeated thaws back to the grass has made any sort of natural base impossible -- here's hoping for at least average snowfall AND some consistently cold temps

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowfall isn't the only issue, the temperature roller coaster resulting in repeated thaws back to the grass has made any sort of natural base impossible -- here's hoping for at least average snowfall AND some consistently cold temps

Exactly. More so than lack of thaws is lack of major rain events. Been too many years when the snowpack built up to a foot or snow, then was wiped out by a 2 in rain storm.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier

Exactly. More so than lack of thaws is lack of major rain events. Been too many years when the snowpack built up to a foot or snow, then was wiped out by a 2 in rain storm.

Tell me about it. We've had the snowfall but thaw and rain wiped out the base. I know that clearing glades at Laurel could be deemed a fool's errand but I've been called worse.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Freestyle ski swap tomorrow in Charlottesville, Warren Miller ski flick next week, skis tuned and ready to go. Here's hoping for plentiful snow and a consistent snowpack this season.

@JohnL congrats on the WS. For me 2016 seems like a long time ago...

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
I've personally called you far worse. :D

It's been too long since we've skied together. I hope we can fix that this season. We plan to be at Jackson but I won't be running with the big dogs, I don't want to get with a group that will be waiting on me as I hack my way down the Hobacks. :D Perhaps you can block off some time to come to our humble Mid-A Gathering. Give me a call when you have the time. Remember, I'm retired and usually free to converse anytime.

Enjoy the warm and fuzzy feelings you got from the Nat's WS win. Pirates fans are green with envy.

mmcshane

Pugski Lurker
Skier
Both the creditors committee has refiled motion to appoint Chapter 11 trustee, and the US Trustee has also filed the same + asking for expedited hearing- I attached just the US Trustee one, cause the creditors committee is basically the same as before.

Attachments

• 198.pdf
    231.6 KB · Views: 32

The Colonel

Putting on skis
Skier
Both the creditors committee has refiled motion to appoint Chapter 11 trustee, and the US Trustee has also filed the same + asking for expedited hearing- I attached just the US Trustee one, cause the creditors committee is basically the same as before.
Won’t open!

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Upper dryfork...and then up to Pharis Knob nearly 4700' in elevation...snowier and Larger than TLine...oh well..others are out there as well...
...hoping any potential owners catch what im hoping is a sucessful Strategy by Snowshoe..what I thought was just a practice run blowing Snow 2 nites ago has gone on into the 2nd nite...im thinking they are going for it for real..there are Snow and cold shots coming with a potential good strong spell starting on the 12th....hopefully it works out and impresses the $$$$....Think Snow!!

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
The Epic By Nature podcast put out a nice piece on snowmaking earlier this week:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/epic-by-nature/id1443033576

This is the type of snowmaking we need in the CV. Snowmaking should be priority one for any new owner
Thats all fine and Dandy John but im thinking that if they just actually USED what they have now we would have a great season...im interested in new lift placements at both resorts..for one im thinking 1 or 2 short lifts over on the Skiers right to service the Steep areas dropping off of Salamander at TLine so we don't have to do the run out to the bottom lift..but yeh..state of the Art Snowmaking is always the plan and dream!

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
@fishnski good point. All we really need is 2 decent fixed grips to replace what we’ve got plus a snowmaking plan that takes advantage of every weather window and strives to upgrade and increase capacity yearly. We certainly cannot expect an Epic snowmaking operation overnight.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
This thread has been going south and people started attacking each other. Remember, we'll agree to disagree here. Discussion is fine as long as it is civil and constructive.

We are closing the thread for moderation activities. When we open it back, and that is, if we open it back, we expect proper interactions among community members. In the meantime, please respect our decision and don't open a similar thread. Any attempt to do so will reduce your posting privileges.

Dear all, we are unlocking this thread again. Please:
  • respect each other's opinions.
  • do not use the thread to push agendas - no soapboxing is allowed.
To keep it simple, remember that we want to be as cordial in our online conversations as we would be while talking to a ski buddy on a chairlift.

A 19 hour lockout. Sure hope that's enough to calm down the antagonists.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A 19 hour lockout. Sure hope that's enough to calm down the antagonists.
We feel this is a very important discussion and we felt it should be kept open, but not at all cost, there will be a very short lesh though.

Sponsor

Staff online