• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Or, Vail buys it and McEverythings the crap out of it perhaps even adding their own slopeside lodging/

Like they did with Kirkwood. First and only thing they did was double the lift ticket price.
Not an option for them at T-line as serious lift rehab needs to be done.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
?

T-Line is less than 3 hours from the 6th largest market in the US -DC. Burlington is a tiny city - would get swallowed up by other EC cities. And MRG is not the closest area to Burlington.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_statistical_areas

Plus add in Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Richmond, etc.

ok, I did not say MRG is closest to Burlington or that city is huge. My point is there is no way there are enough ski enthusiasts that would buy shares in the Timberline coop. Do you really think that would work?

edit. otoh if that genuinely got started i would buy some shares just to show my support. but not holding my breath.

Last edited:

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Snowshoe also has something for everyone. My wife doesn’t ski. She loves snowshoe because she can get a massage and we can go out for a nice meal. My kids like snowshoe because of the big top and the pool. My friends like snowshoe because there are a bunch of bars.
I like snowshoe because they make snow when they can and a season pass costs $230. They have a 5 month long season. And everyone I go with has something fun they can do.
Timberline has none of that. If they get two feet of snow there are a few fun trails. That’s all. People want more than that.

I like Snowshoe also, go almost every year. My wife likes is like yours. I still suspect it needs the real estate sales and I cannot quite see Timberline reaching that level of stuff.

Personally, I liked the old mostly functioning Tline better than Shoe anyway, though snowmaking was the trump card in some years.

Last edited:

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
ok, I did not say MRG is closest to Burlington or that city is huge. My point is there is no way there are enough ski enthusiasts that would buy shares in the Timberline coop. Do you really think that would work?

edit. otoh if that genuinely got started i would buy some shares just to show my support. but not holding my breath.

I think T-Line is toast. Large ski Corp won’t buy it for reasons I said in earlier post. Co-op won’t work either. Issues to be fixed are too complex for a committee. MRG issues were no where near as complex. I think there could be a large number of co-op members, but too tough a problem to fix.

Only hope - medium pocketed owner gets the place for a song and gets lucky. They may still lose money. They would prolly need a net worth of 50 mil or so to take the risk and have enough capital.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the place needs about 10 mil of investments for complete overhaul of snowmaking, replacement of all 3 lifts, and now the base Lodge. Someone with a net worth of 5-10 mil would be a fool for taking on that project.

AndyGene

Putting on skis
Skier
Personally, I liked the old mostly functioning Tline better than Shoe anyway, though snowmaking was the trump card in some years.
I personally feel the only thing unique timberline offers is Sally. Everywhere has steeps. A lot of places have trees (if you know where to look). But not everyone has a super long family friendly trail that everyone can ski together.

patski7715

Booting up
Skier
As an Epic Pass holder from MD that also loves T-Line. I think Vail Resorts would do well to acquire T-line. With just the short term upgrades mentioned earlier; new lifts, snow making and a lodge renovation. Think of all the Epic Passes that would be bought. Long term development could really make it into a viable 4 season resort. I like to dream...

Kemperski

Getting on the lift
Skier
I personally feel the only thing unique timberline offers is Sally. Everywhere has steeps. A lot of places have trees (if you know where to look). But not everyone has a super long family friendly trail that everyone can ski together.
That just ain't true. Salamander is just another long tiresome run, timber at Canaan or the long one at wisp are indistinguishable. I do not comprehend the affection for long flat greens, except as a mellow run out at the end of a day, or in the case of canaan's as an access to the pipeline.

The trees in bounds at T-Line are truly exceptional, I haveno idea where you think there is something locally equivalent, it's the loss of those trees that is killing me. Also do the vertical math .. Timberline offers 1000 slightly plus vert and who has more sustained vert? Cupp and shays I guess with intermittent flats (which I actually appreciate)

But seriously, Timberlines terrain is good and it's trees are extraordinary. That these skeevy selfish bastards have taken it hostage out of familial pride? or whatever motivation, is a loss to the whole skiing region.

Last edited:

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Not. Even. Close.

Tree skiing at the Slime was off the hook for 5-7 years in late aughts to about 2014, before the last few poor winters and stupid tree clearing. Dozens of killer lines in Cherry Bowl before it got more cleared out. Old Dominion. Spinal Tap. Patrollers Glade. Thunder from Heaven. Lines down to Twister. Skiers left of Twister all the way to the Boneyard. Not to mention backside to Lanesville and top of old Timberline, which require cars. If all you are judging is by the stupid blue glades on the trail map, you don’t know what you missed. If you could handle it.

I’ve bashed the bark at 75+ places in North America, and T-Line compared well to most of those places and was the best by far south of Vermont. Blue Knob has more challenging trails, but the Slime has better trees. And I’ll disagree a bit with @Josh Matta , Platty is good (more skiable acres of trees and better clearing), but the Slime has tougher lines.

Norsk

Booting up
Skier
Snowshoe is some weird marketing anomaly and maybe a Ponzi scheme. Banner Elk has way more local skiers than Davis.
Snowshoe is way more than a ski resort as others have observed. Banner Elk ... nordic is not really viable down there outside of a couple days a year, so if you are a local skier, you are alpine. Plus Boone is close and decent sized and a college town. I think Davis/Thomas/CV has a lot of nords (loyal base at WG) because nordic is viable and WG is a good operation. Quality draws numbers.

That's really the big point. Even in the Mid-A, quality draws. Snowshoe is a big high-end operation and it draws. NC high country has 3 reasonably well run ski areas and it draws. WG is a good operation and it draws nords despite the chaos nearby. Even a place like Massanutten with fairly limited skiing packs them in on weekends from December through March because they are a full service resort with lots to do and they commit to snowmaking as much as possible with their weather.

A revitalized well-run Timberline (think T4SR not T0.5SR) would draw numbers but it would not be the funky, laid back, "private Idaho" type place that the Timberline loyalists love.

Low End

Booting up
Skier

If you truly feel that the only thing that the Slime offers that is unique is Sally than you must be a terminal intermediate skier. You silly man

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Great viddys, guys. Wish I had you to guide me back when I got lost in the boneyard. Great skiing followed by a 15 minute walk back to the ski area. So sad to be talking about this in the past tense.

Sponsor