• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Timberline was the name given to the resort by the original developer, David Downs. Dave is a great guy but I still feel a rebranding would be useful. Big Mountain rebranded to Whitefish Mountain Resort and people hated it at first but I think now the name is more accepted given all the “Ski the Fish” bumper stickers I saw there on my last visit (which was in the fall). The Durango/Purgatory story did not go as well. But I believe the Canyons name change to PCMR has been good. Can anyone think of other rebrandings?

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Timberline was the name given to the resort by the original developer, David Downs. Dave is a great guy but I still feel a rebranding would be useful. Big Mountain rebranded to Whitefish Mountain Resort and people hated it at first but I think now the name is more accepted given all the “Ski the Fish” bumper stickers I saw there on my last visit (which was in the fall). The Durango/Purgatory story did not go as well. But I believe the Canyons name change to PCMR has been good. Can anyone think of other rebrandings?
Before it was The Canyons it was Wolf Mountain, ParkWest and originally Park City West. Coincidentally PNS was rumored to have tried to buy it when it was ParkWest.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
There were "Ski/Ride the Fish" stickers back when it was Big Mountain (back in the 90's Name change was 2007). That saying isn't new. And they do give stickers out free at ski movies. The name change was to shake off the confusion with Big Sky (people were always correcting me and telling me I was moving to Big Sky and you'd have to go through this long explanation of the history and that Big Mountain existed first). Quick Facts.

And really, when I hear people calling Big Sky "The Big" it still drives me nuts. It was called "The Big" here decades earlier (40's). The oval bumper sticker reading TBM is also still popular. (The "The" used to be the part of the way marketing referred to it. The Big Mountain.) Then this newcomer (Big Sky, 1973) comes along with big pockets and big advertising and suddenly it's us changing our name. The license plates here read "Big Sky Country" from 67 to 75. Then that stopped, presumably because it was looking like free advertising by the state.

There's lots of places named Big in this state, Big Mountain (geographical name), Bigfork, Big Arm, Big Timber, Big Sandy, etc. And, oh yeah, Big Sky.

Last edited:

jdm00

Putting on skis
Skier
Wonder if there are realistic chances of a PNS/Timberline combo pass? PNS is my local hill but I don't really ski there (we go to Snowshoe). Would be a lot more interested if there was a combo.

James

Out There
Instructor
There's lots of places named Big in this state, Big Mountain (geographical name), Bigfork, Big Arm, Big Timber, Big Sandy, etc. And, oh yeah, Big Sky.
Isn’t the State slogan ”Big Sky”?

The name change ftom Big Mt was confusing for awhile. But...the name itself was very confusing to begin with. Maybe not if you live in Montana. For some reason, “Big Sky” we get as a place- and a slogan, but “Big Mt” even back then was a touch confusing. “Which big mountain?”; “aren’t they all big?”; “Is that really the name of a ski area?”.
So, changing to “Whitefish” in the long run, 5 yrs+, was a good move.

All that to say changing from “Timberline” to something else, if it made sense, would be fine. Now is the time.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Wonder if there are realistic chances of a PNS/Timberline combo pass? PNS is my local hill but I don't really ski there (we go to Snowshoe). Would be a lot more interested if there was a combo.
I think you can count on that happening. Why wouldn't they??

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier

I can see them offering it for a price but I definitely don't see it included in the regular price. I think the most likely scenario for the first year or so is that if you buy the top tier pass it will include a few days at Timberline.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I can see them offering it for a price but I definitely don't see it included in the regular price. I think the most likely scenario for the first year or so is that if you buy the top tier pass it will include a few days at Timberline.
Don't Laurel and 7 Springs honor each other's passes?

Bluedon

Putting on skis
Skier
Don't Laurel and 7 Springs honor each other's passes?

If you have a Highlands Pass YES - It's good for 7S, LM and HV

If you have a stand alone pass to one of the 3 then you have this below from the 7S website:

Unlimited season passholders at Seven Springs, including Highlands Passholders, will each receive one complimentary full day ski and snowboard lift ticket and a 50% discount on regularly priced ski and snowboard lift tickets for any additional visit to either Hidden Valley, Laurel Mountain, Wisp or Wintergreen Resorts, excluding Saturdays and holiday periods.

teebrews

Poachin' your zit hill
Skier
Pass Pulled
#1 - PNS already stated they were keeping the Timberline name.
#2 - Changing it will cause confusion - it's shouldn't but it will.
#3 - Updating signage, ect. is unnecessary work that detracts from a 11.26.2020 opening.
#4 - Can still market T-line under new ownership.
#5 - Can easily argue that the name was the only problem Timberline DIDN'T have.
#6 - Bad idea given the short timeline to prep for the 2020-21 season.

teebrews

Poachin' your zit hill
Skier
Pass Pulled
Dont be Fooled by our warmth in the East...it has been brutally cold from AK down thru canada and Winter is coming to a ski area near you soon..stay tuned!
That was 8 days ago. We're still tuned in and 'aint shit changin'. Warm coast to coast and no end in sight. Not buying an extended cool down at this point. Just gotta hope for a whopper!

James

Out There
Instructor
Can easily argue that the name was the only problem Timberline DIDN'T have.
Lol. Very true!

Have they floated new names yet?
Signage- online only really matters. And telling google maps. Is anyone really not going to get there because of an old sign?

But, opening under Timberline, then telling everyone they’re changing it next year works.

Last edited:

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
That was 8 days ago. We're still tuned in and 'aint shit changin'. Warm coast to coast and no end in sight. Not buying an extended cool down at this point. Just gotta hope for a whopper!
Where ya been brews?...after I posted that we had almost a solid week of cold..(I follow the Wv Alpps)...lows on 5 days in the low single digits..1 day it was 4 below 0 at a frost pocket in Canaan Valley...Whopper watch for the beginning of Feb..long shot..Gfs has been flirting with the idea..Euro showed it in the overnight run..watching Wx Model runs are like watching Soap Operas...lots of twists and turns but Mamma Nature is the writer...

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Euro is showing over 3 feet in the 10 day total snowfall in the Carolina Mtns...not counting my snowflakes yet..it could flip in a heartbeat..just fun to watch...

RodneyBD

Hatfield made rain for L.A.
Skier
Name is going to be Timberline Slopes, as in Perfect North Slopes (no more delusional "4 seasons resort" thank goodness)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Off-topic for this thread, but the state motto is oro y plata (gold and silver). Almost as much imagination went into that as into the state flag.
They used to (or maybe still do?) "Big Sky Country" on the license plates.... I don't think I've ever heard just "Big Sky" except for the resort, though I haven't lived there or anything.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
It could say just about anything (https://dojmt.gov/driving/plate-designs-and-fees/). But Treasure State is standard.

Big Sky Country
A relatively recent nickname, "Big Sky Country" originated with a 1962 promotion of the Montana State Highway Department. It is a reference to the unobstructed skyline in the state that seems to overwhelm the landscape at times. The name came from a book by Alfred Bertram Guthrie Jr., Big Sky, recalled by a Highway Department employee. Mr. Guthrie gave the Highway Department permission to use the name and Montana has been "Big Sky Country" ever since. The legend "Big Sky Country" appeared on Montana license plates from 1967 to 1975. This was shortened to "Big Sky" on license plates stamped from 1976 to 2000.

Sponsor