• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
The 222 acres in question include the area on the Winterset side of the mountain, mainly where the old Silver Queen cabriolet chairs were dumped but I also suspect the parking lot and maybe the undeveloped Winterhaven lots.

RodneyBD

Hatfield made rain for L.A.
Skier
Please fact check this, but appears buyer is local businessman Dan Moore and family, he is former chairman of Matewan Bancshares, acquired by BB&T a while back. As has been speculated here and elsewhere, decent chance this is a fix it and flip it investment play. Of course auction still permits someone else to show up last minute with a higher bid. Would love to find out who were the 13 entities who executed a CA and toured the property.

TS
Dr. Bighair

Dr. Bighair

Dr. Style
Skier
no, could be a possibility, and yes but very unlikely

Last edited:

mmcshane

Pugski Lurker
Skier
Nothing so far filed re: whatever, if anything, happened yesterday. The only thing that was filed today was a motion to set Nov 30th as the date by which any creditors have to file proof of a claim, so it seems to me that if outstanding creditors have until then to file a claim, there can't be an auction/sale until after that date.

Squaremouth

Booting up
Pass Pulled
Potential
It will be ski area again, but much better without Herzs in the picture. How do you like them apples Mike Doble @ skisoutheast?

It might be a windfarm. Just because someone is buying it doesn't mean that it will be a ski resort. Potential bidders have included windfarm operators, land developers, and "Financial Buyers", what ever that means. You all might want to read some of the court documents. The highest bidder has come from Timberline Land Holding Company, LLC. That is supposedly located in TN, but I searched the LLC records in that state and found none. Timberline Land Holdings Company, LLC is a MINING COMPANY as best as I can tell. With Mon Power right there, it would work.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Potential

It might be a windfarm. Just because someone is buying it doesn't mean that it will be a ski resort. Potential bidders have included windfarm operators, land developers, and "Financial Buyers", what ever that means. You all might want to read some of the court documents. The highest bidder has come from Timberline Land Holding Company, LLC. That is supposedly located in TN, but I searched the LLC records in that state and found none. Timberline Land Holdings Company, LLC is a MINING COMPANY as best as I can tell. With Mon Power right there, it would work.

The land is worth the most as a ski resort—hence the odds that it will be a ski resort are pretty good.

Squaremouth

Booting up
Pass Pulled
The land is worth the most as a ski resort—hence the odds that it will be a ski resort are pretty good.

Had 5 major thaws last winter. Canaan Valley never opened all the way, Whitegrass was barely open, and the town is a wreck. The night life is almost non-existant. There's an abandoned hotel that's been sitting in the middle of town for as long as I can remember and if you're from the DC area, you now get to drive through a strip mining operation right before you get to Canaan. Good luck. I love Timberline and the people who live nearby, its a massive mountain (for these parts) with the best views and the best ski runs, but it takes so much more.

Last edited:

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Had 5 major thaws last winter. Canaan Valley never opened all the way, Whitegrass was barely open, and the town is a wreck. The night life is almost non-existant. There's an abandoned hotel that's been sitting in the middle of town for as long as I can remember and if you're from the DC area, you now get to drive through a strip mining operation right before you get to Canaan. Good luck. I love Timberline and the people who live nearby, its a massive mountain (for these parts) with the best views and the best ski runs, but it takes so much more.

Whitetail exists in a microclimate nearly ten degrees warmer, suffered far worse thaw cycles, and it had a terrific season last year PLUS it was sold to VAIL. Many of Timberline’s problems can be solved through snowmaking. No other resort in the region has a better microclimate, terrain, and more north facing slopes. Timberline has unique natural advantages over any other resort in commuting distance to DC. Money and infrastructure improvements are all that is needed.

TS
Dr. Bighair

Dr. Bighair

Dr. Style
Skier
Davis is thriving like never before. Local businesses are seeing success like never before. Davis is not a city...so don't expect it to be like the city. It's a scenic rural mountain town where recreation is the leading draw. Most people who live here and visit the area enjoy night time skis by moonlight, camping, playing music and socializing with there friends, or just being able to see the stars without any city light pollution. There might not be bars or discos that you can drink until 2 in the morning and stumble home, but there is plenty of night life. The "abandoned hotel" is owned by a family who is asking way to much to sell it....but the town is organizing to demolish it and clear the site. Respectfully, if you think there is even a slight chance that the tline is turned into a strip mine, logged, or used as a wind farm then you just don't know the regulations, the area very well, or who the new owners will be. You are correct though the mountain has tremendous potential as a ski resort.

Squaremouth

Booting up
Pass Pulled
Davis is thriving like never before. Local businesses are seeing success like never before. Davis is not a city...so don't expect it to be like the city. It's a scenic rural mountain town where recreation is the leading draw. Most people who live here and visit the area enjoy night time skis by moonlight, camping, playing music and socializing with there friends, or just being able to see the stars without any city light pollution. There might not be bars or discos that you can drink until 2 in the morning and stumble home, but there is plenty of night life. The "abandoned hotel" is owned by a family who is asking way to much to sell it....but the town is organizing to demolish it and clear the site. Respectfully, if you think there is even a slight chance that the tline is turned into a strip mine, logged, or used as a wind farm then you just don't know the regulations, the area very well, or who the new owners will be. You are correct though the mountain has tremendous potential as a ski resort.

I know the towns well. You have (had) Timberline, Whitegrass and Canaan Valley (3 ski resorts!!!), plus a gorgeous National Wildlife refuge and gorgeous Blackwater Falls. All within a 10 mile radius. You should all be driving Bentley's and carrying coach handbags. Most towns in WV are modern and clean. So what is going on here? You can't blame it all on Tracy. I take it you know for a fact that Timberline Holdings LLC is going to build a ski resort? You have no idea what they are and I don't either!! There are 4 entities called Timbeline Holdings and one is a mining operation. This may or may not be the same, who knows? If I owned these towns, I would have filed a petition with the bankruptsy court and have researched the intent of the purchaser and I would have pulled down all these busted up residences and business a long time ago. I would have insisted the strip mining along Corridor H just outside of Davis be moved away from the highway so tourists don't gag on it when they drive here. You are so confident that the electric company won't shred Canaan Valley. Anything can happen. Mining and electric companies are like the mafia. They will burn your house down to get your land. Further, bankruptsy is the last thing you want to see happen to a ski resort like Timberline, it means all the convenants and restrictions on the land are removed. That land can be used for any purpose now. It's going to the highest bidder. I see I'm never going to convince anyone, so we'll see. Too bad pro-active steps aren't being taken by the town mayor to ensure it remains a ski resort. That is a big big gamble.

PS You know how to take someone's busted up property? You pass an ordinance that fines them $100 a day for each busted window, each piece of missing siding, etc., and when they can't pay you seize the property. Then bulldoze it. The whole town benefits. These properties are fire hazards, harbor rodents, and are "attractive nuisances"--dangerous to kids to want to go inside.

Last edited:

Jlc

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I too share in the frustration of the abandoned motel sitting center-stage in Davis. In January of 2018, a hearing was scheduled in Davis to address the ordinance involving BAD (brownfield-abandoned-delapidated) buildings, with regards to the motel. Nearly two years later, the property sits—a hazard and a liability—with no updates on the ordinance or the town’s plans to move forward. And while on the subject, the abandoned gas station on route 32 near Timberline road is also an issue.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As we get new members here on Pugski to join in this important discussion, I feel that we need to remind everyone of what we said back in post #48
Here is the content of that post (Bold)

Welcome to all of you. We know this is an important discussion for the industry, especially in the community in WV.

We encourage good information about topics like this, but lets all make sure that it doesn't overwhelm here, as you noted that it did on another site (Can I assume it was DC Ski?).

The rules of our site can be read here
And another Welcome thread with rules here from the flux of new memberships while EpicSki was closing down.

Please respect the tone of Pugski so that this discussion can remain open
Thank you.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I know the towns well. You have (had) Timberline, Whitegrass and Canaan Valley (3 ski resorts!!!), plus a gorgeous National Wildlife refuge and gorgeous Blackwater Falls. All within a 10 mile radius. You should all be driving Bentley's and carrying coach handbags. Most towns in WV are modern and clean. So what is going on here? You can't blame it all on Tracy. I take it you know for a fact that Timberline Holdings LLC is going to build a ski resort? You have no idea what they are and I don't either!! There are 4 entities called Timbeline Holdings and one is a mining operation. This may or may not be the same, who knows? If I owned these towns, I would have filed a petition with the bankruptsy court and have researched the intent of the purchaser and I would have pulled down all these busted up residences and business a long time ago. I would have insisted the strip mining along Corridor H just outside of Davis be moved away from the highway so tourists don't gag on it when they drive here. You are so confident that the electric company won't shred Canaan Valley. Anything can happen. Mining and electric companies are like the mafia. They will burn your house down to get your land. Further, bankruptsy is the last thing you want to see happen to a ski resort like Timberline, it means all the convenants and restrictions on the land are removed. That land can be used for any purpose now. It's going to the highest bidder. I see I'm never going to convince anyone, so we'll see. Too bad pro-active steps aren't being taken by the town mayor to ensure it remains a ski resort. That is a big big gamble.

PS You know how to take someone's busted up property? You pass an ordinance that fines them $100 a day for each busted window, each piece of missing siding, etc., and when they can't pay you seize the property. Then bulldoze it. The whole town benefits. These properties are fire hazards, harbor rodents, and are "attractive nuisances"--dangerous to kids to want to go inside.

That is a lot to ponder.

Keeping in mind, I've never been in that area and don't know the ski area, its my understanding that Timberline is in shambles and will take more to get it back up and running as a ski resort than its worth to an investor to create something else??

I don't know, just asking.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
That is a lot to ponder.

Keeping in mind, I've never been in that area and don't know the ski area, its my understanding that Timberline is in shambles and will take more to get it back up and running as a ski resort than its worth to an investor to create something else??

I don't know, just asking.

That is exactly the question that will be answered once a buyer emerges from this process. I've heard no rumors that Vail or Alterra is at all interested so that leaves either another resort operator or an investment group that thinks they can run it successfully as a ski resort or a different business altogether as Squaremouth suggests. IMHO if T-line is to survive long term as a ski resort the next buyer had better have a good track record in the business in addition to deep pockets and a stomach to absorb losses until market share is reestablished. I am not too optimistic given the flat growth of the industry and Vail and Alterra's move into the market. Right now only Seven Springs stands as the last big independent in the region. Is Bob Nutting a bidder? I would guess no given the amount of money needed to get Timberline up to modern standards. That could change if there is a lot of help from West Virginia. Unlike Laurel which is a PA State Park (PA paid the lion's share to resurrect Laurel), T-Line is privately owned and it seems to me it would be very difficult to get state aid given the political climate today. So in the meantime :popcorn:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That is exactly the question that will be answered once a buyer emerges from this process. I've heard no rumors that Vail or Alterra is at all interested so that leaves either another resort operator or an investment group that thinks they can run it successfully as a ski resort or a different business altogether as Squaremouth suggests. IMHO if T-line is to survive long term as a ski resort the next buyer had better have a good track record in the business in addition to deep pockets and a stomach to absorb losses until market share is reestablished. I am not too optimistic given the flat growth of the industry and Vail and Alterra's move into the market. Right now only Seven Springs stands as the last big independent in the region. Is Bob Nutting a bidder? I would guess no given the amount of money needed to get Timberline up to modern standards. That could change if there is a lot of help from West Virginia. Unlike Laurel which is a PA State Park (PA paid the lion's share to resurrect Laurel), T-Line is privately owned and it seems to me it would be very difficult to get state aid given the political climate today. So in the meantime :popcorn:
I do not see a Vail or Alterra even remotely interested in Timberline especially is the disarray it is in, it just not their business model, they look for turn key resorts. I am sure everyone in thsi thread has heard the saying "How do you make a small fortune in the ski industry" Start with a large one". An investor will be looking at the ROI of running a resort but also the very costly prospect of returning a resort that has been ignored, thrashed and strip mined back to being functional...that is goint take an additional amount of money on top of what they are paying for a resort that is litterally a shell if itself.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Imagine what the Mid-A market would look like today if George Gillett (Booth Creek Ski Holdings) had bought Seven Springs in the 1990s? At that time the Springs was still owned by the founding Dupre family. Gillett made an offer of $100 million and that lead to some family members suing the other members who had accepted the offer. That whole issue was tied up in the courts until those opposed to the sale dropped the suit in 2006 when all family members agree to sell to Bob Nutting. To echo what Phil pointed out, locals approached Gillett to ask if he were interested in operating Laurel to which Gillet was said to have replied, "I want to buy market share not build market share."

Sponsor