• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

19BigBadJoe74

Booting up
Skier
Winterhaven, a Planned Community, consists of four parcels subject to real estate development; Parcel 1 is 3.29 acres, Parcel 2 is 5.56 acres, Parcel 3 is 12.56 acres, and the grandaddy, Parcel 4, is 142.85 acres. Pieces of all four parcels (but including just a small sliver of Parcel 4) totalling 22.77 acres were used to develop what we know as Phases I & II of Winterhaven, totalling 30 home sites and the associate road, easements, & utility infrastructure. The actual footprint of those 30 lots occupies closer to only half of that 22 acres.

The Winterhaven Public Offering Statement, recorded in 2004, identified the four parcels in plats, plus the initial 12 lots released as Phase I of Winterhaven. The POA also outlined a maximum of 140 Winterhaven lots that could be released for sale by the Declarant within a period of 20 years, with all real estate restricted to residential use only. The Declarant is identified as Herz, Herz, & Reichle.

All of the above should be on file at the courthouse in Parsons.

Doc has made motions to add some 222 acres of his land adjoining the ski area to the sale in order to increase the Resort's value and sale price. (See p. 8 of Document 146 filed 10/11/19.) Many have speculated that this includes Parcel 4 of Winterhaven.

So say there are 110 additional Winterhaven lots for someone to sell someday. (These are 90% synonymous with Parcel 4). Even at bargain-basement auction prices WH lots have recently been seen to fetch about $50k each, in advanceof knowing the outcome of bankruptcy. That's $5.5M, less what it might cost to clear land & extend the roads & utilities up the mountain. But many of those future homesites will have spectacular placement on Twister & Upper Dew Drop ski trails with commanding views of the valley and ski-in ski-out features that only 2 or 3 existing Winterhaven homes possess today. It's not hard to imagine 110 future lots fetching an average of $100K and up. That's $11M minus infrastructure.

It's easy to imagine that the real gem in the Resort sale is ownership of Parcel 4 of Winterhaven, and it will bear monitoring to assure that it doesn't somehow get left out of the mix by the debtor/seller/trustee. Presumably the stalking horse bidder is all over this; not to mention more stealthy entities who may be awaiting the auction closing date to act.

So 2 big questions are .....

Can anyone relate Doc's 222 acres to the 4 Winterhaven parcels?? And does anyone really know what the Stalking Horse bid includes for the $2.5M bid?

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
On Sept 26th Johnfmh, posted the court filling. If you go back to page 55 of this thread about half way down you can take a look at the filling. On page 6 of the Attachment it indicates the 222 acres is part of the "package".
On another note, I seem to remember about 10 years ago Timberline Resort (Tom Blazey days) was looking at that land as a combination residential, additional slopes, lift and possible resort amenities expansion ( tubing park, etc)

19BigBadJoe74

Booting up
Skier
On another note, I seem to remember about 10 years ago Timberline Resort (Tom Blazey days) was looking at that land as a combination residential, additional slopes, lift and possible resort amenities expansion ( tubing park, etc)

Yes.... and Tom often referred to the "Bench" (area just above the highest released lot) as an area where they would build a hotel and restaurant with bar. This plan was displayed on a wall in the "Barbie House" that sat outside the lodge. Hmmmmm, wonder if the Barbie House ever got repossessed

Bananana

Booting up
Skier

19BigBadJoe74

Booting up
Skier
Here's the 222.27 acre parcel

Tax assessment details: http://mapwv.gov/Assessment/Detail/?PID=47050371000400000000

Map: https://mapwv.gov/parcel/?pid=47-05-0371-0004-0000

The apraisal value for just that parcel on the tax assessment website is $924,652

Also, someone suggested that Reichle may have already been "out" of Timberline. For what its worth, he is the sole owner of the 222 acre parcel, not Herz, Herz & Riechle Inc.
Great! The map shows that parcel 4 of Winterhaven is indeed part of the 222 acres. So if the resort is bought and brought back to life, there seems to be a huge payoff in the undeveloped land.

Squaremouth

Booting up
Pass Pulled
So why is this part of the estate if Doc is the sole owner?

WOOWOO is this the train wreck @Squaremouth alluded to?
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

LOL. I don't know what is going one no one can read minds or predict the future. All I know is that you don't hire big lawyers unless that retainer investment means something. Speculation is pointless. All I know is that skiers drop to their knees at the top of Thunderstruck in awe at the beauty of the valley and just stare out in space for a long time. Some people start singing, some weep, and some have claimed to have found God. It is a majestic and beautiful place and that land is worth a lot of money. What, is there 20 acres up top? What would that be worth to a developer? Canaan has some nice spots but plainly stated, it blows when you compare it to Timberline. Everything blows when you compare it to Timberline, and I have been everywhere. and I always come back to Timberline.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
LOL. I don't know what is going one no one can read minds or predict the future. All I know is that you don't hire big lawyers unless that retainer investment means something. Speculation is pointless. All I know is that skiers drop to their knees at the top of Thunderstruck in awe at the beauty of the valley and just stare out in space for a long time. Some people start singing, some weep, and some have claimed to have found God. It is a majestic and beautiful place and that land is worth a lot of money. What, is there 20 acres up top? What would that be worth to a developer? Canaan has some nice spots but plainly stated, it blows when you compare it to Timberline. Everything blows when you compare it to Timberline, and I have been everywhere. and I always come back to Timberline.

I think they drop to their knees in profound relief after surviving a 20 minute ride with multiple stops on the Thunderdraft Lift and a 40 minute wait just to ride that old lift.

Kemperski

Getting on the lift
Skier
The view of MPC and Roaring plains from the paragliding launch point at the top of Canaan might be called decent although I have mostly remained upright and dry eyed. Of course the wind might have swept my tears away
uwZhGPH.jpg

Last edited:

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Somewhere center right of above pic posted by Kemperski is my place.."Alpine View"...awesome views from the bottom looking up...I can see the Hang gliding spot looking up but I havn't been lucky enough to see one take off yet...

Last edited:

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
uwZhGPH.jpg
[/QUOTE]
The view of MPC and Roaring plains from the paragliding launch point at the top of Canaan might be called decent although I have mostly remained upright and dry eyed. Of course the wind might have swept my tears away
uwZhGPH.jpg
1st Flakes of the season to fall there overnight tonite...

Squaremouth

Booting up
Pass Pulled
The Canaan view at the launch site is not bad. This is top of Thunderstruck, top picture looking straight down. The next is the view looking right to the ridge line where the homes are. Photos don't do it justice. I am here about to go down one of the blues. Winding your way down the south blues, nice steep even grades and beautiful resting spots along the way with views. Who ever cut those mountain trails was an artist.

Last edited:

Tom Holtmann

TomH
Skier
The Canaan view at the launch site is not bad. This is top of Thunderstruck, top picture looking straight down. The next is the view looking right to the ridge line where the homes are. Photos don't do it justice. I am here about to go down one of the blues. Winding your way down the south blues, nice steep even grades and beautiful resting spots along the way with views. Who ever cut those mountain trails was an artist.

The runs are set up beautifully there. The story I always heard is that the snow ops manager whose name is eluding me at the moment used a bowling ball to determine the true fall line when they were cutting the trails.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually Tom it was a vision, not a bowling ball.

"Fred Herz was camping in the Canaan Valley in 1985, while sitting by a camp fire, staring up at a mountain he thought that it would be a great place to ski. He convinced his entire family to buy into his idea and create Timberline Four Seasons Resort. in 1986 Timberline opened for business. Fred is a true visionary. Today we are proud to state that we have the longest trail south of Vermont, the highest average vertical in the SE, and the best glade skiing south of New England. Our ski school accommodates skiers of all ages, and we have a program for guest with disabilities to be able to get out and enjoy our slopes. Our most proud accomplishment, however, is in helping preserve the highlands ecosystem.The Cheat Mountain salamander, a threatened species that is unique to West Virginia, may have a shot at recovery, thanks to conservation efforts that are underway at Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge."

Squaremouth

Booting up
Pass Pulled
The runs are set up beautifully there. The story I always heard is that the snow ops manager whose name is eluding me at the moment used a bowling ball to determine the true fall line when they were cutting the trails.

I know, I heard his name but you don't know what is a rumor and what isn't. It wasn't the Herz, they hired a long time local to envision it. A bowling ball? I believe it because that seems like it would work.

Tom Holtmann

TomH
Skier
Actually Tom it was a vision, not a bowling ball.

"Fred Herz was camping in the Canaan Valley in 1985, while sitting by a camp fire, staring up at a mountain he thought that it would be a great place to ski. He convinced his entire family to buy into his idea and create Timberline Four Seasons Resort. in 1986 Timberline opened for business. Fred is a true visionary. Today we are proud to state that we have the longest trail south of Vermont, the highest average vertical in the SE, and the best glade skiing south of New England. Our ski school accommodates skiers of all ages, and we have a program for guest with disabilities to be able to get out and enjoy our slopes. Our most proud accomplishment, however, is in helping preserve the highlands ecosystem.The Cheat Mountain salamander, a threatened species that is unique to West Virginia, may have a shot at recovery, thanks to conservation efforts that are underway at Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge."

Was iowaska involved. That could explain Twister.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
We sound overly sentimental, but in truth , the view from the sods is unlike anything else in the east. Not necessarily better, but unique i think. So many similarities to Saddleback in this story, it's weird. Looks like a chance of flurry up there on Thursday morning - will that be the first this season ?