• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Somewhere in this thread or on FB are references to Timberline's ownership structure... specifically that Frederick Reichle ("Doc") owns 90%, and the nutty nephew and his deranged spouse, Fred and Tracy Herz, own 10%... can anyone verify or weigh in on this?

Rose also owns a significant share.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Heck yeah! There just aren’t many microclimates suitable for skiing within 2.5 hours of the DC area. It will come back. Receivership is absolutely the best way forward for everyone involved

Norsk

Booting up
Skier
Dunno why Hellbenders is selling but it definitely is not because the business is struggling. They did great all winter even with the disruption in the Valley. And probably do better in the summer and spring/fall shoulder seasons also. Davis (and Thomas) have just grown beyond CV/skiing. In fact another new restaurant opened in Davis within the past two years (Wicked Wilderness Pub) and it seems to have done well. And now the new place in the old Blackwater Brewing. Think about that one btw. If skiing was the draw for a restaurant in Davis, wouldn't April be about the worst possible time for a grand opening?

As for the Valley, will be interesting to see how lodging bookings run for the summer. Last summer was very busy, I am told (and saw), despite TL being effectively abandoned. For sure next winter's ski bookings will be way down, at least those "on-slope" at TL, but the Valley seems to be more and more a true 4 seasons resort, while TL becomes a zero seasons resort.

TS
Dr. Bighair

Dr. Bighair

Dr. Style
Skier
The entire handling of this tslime fiasco by local and state authorities has been a junk show....the amount of blatant illegal activity that seems to have gone unchecked or simply allowed to continue is mind blowing. Now with the delays in the original motion for receivership needing to be revised in order to hold water and most recently the hearing extension being granted, the word is out about the likely hood of receivership. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see those who are owed money by the Herzs come out of the woodwork filing liens and/or foreclosures before the next scheduled hearing.

KidHorn

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Last summer I rented a house next to Timberline for a week and am thinking about doing it again this summer. I went through best of Canaan. Do I need to worry about water and/or sewage service?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Last summer I rented a house next to Timberline for a week and am thinking about doing it again this summer. I went through best of Canaan. Do I need to worry about water and/or sewage service?
They've been under boil water advisories off and on for the past year. That is when there is actually water. Perhaps an actual resident can give a better view of the local water and sewer status now that it's totally shut down mid stream so to speak.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
You should have no problems. The boil water notice was lifted a while ago. Furthermore, Canaan Valley Public Service District is now running the utility so service has improved. With that said, I typically do not drink the water up there, but I will use it to make coffee or tea. I am a homeowner but not a resident.

Ron Taylor

Whiskeysipper
Skier
I believe the Federal Chapter 11 bankruptcy hearing will supercede the state's attempt to receivership. If a federal court allows a reorganization there could not be a receivership in my opinion. But, this does mean they would be allowed to have a payment plan for their creditors (wonder who they are?). Where will the money come from to repay these creditors? Will Timberline reopen? Will focus be on their property management/real estate company? Who knows?

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
I believe the Federal Chapter 11 bankruptcy hearing will supercede the state's attempt to receivership. If a federal court allows a reorganization there could not be a receivership in my opinion. But, this does mean they would be allowed to have a payment plan for their creditors (wonder who they are?). Where will the money come from to repay these creditors? Will Timberline reopen? Will focus be on their property management/real estate company? Who knows?

I imagine you're right on superceding receivership. However, the bankruptcy court can appoint a trustee to oversee the reorganization rather than allowing the "debtor in possession" to operate the business as it tries to return to profitable operations. That could well be justified in cases of fraud like this. In addition, creditors may be able to petition the court to convert the Chapter 11 proceeding to a Chapter 7 proceeding, which liquidates the assets to pay remaining debts.

I am by no means a bankruptcy expert, but this filing might help hasten the resolution of the matter (or drag it out).

jdm00

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm not a bankruptcy lawyer either, but I think to do a D-I-P there needs to be a pretty solid plan for the bankruptcy court to get on board with. And if there are tax liabilities outstanding to the state, there's no doubt that the state will have a voice in the bankruptcy proceedings.

The Colonel

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm not a bankruptcy lawyer either, but I think to do a D-I-P there needs to be a pretty solid plan for the bankruptcy court to get on board with. And if there are tax liabilities outstanding to the state, there's no doubt that the state will have a voice in the bankruptcy proceedings.
So what happened at the May 1 hearing brought on by the folks that supposedly loaned TL $100,000.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Court papers related to the Chapter 11 hearing were posted here:

These papers go into some detail about the nature of Timberline’s debts. A lot of debt is owed to the IRS and a bank in Hagerstown.

Last edited:

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Court papers related to the Chapter 11 hearing were posted here:

These papers go into some detail about the nature of Timberline’s debts. A lot of debt is owed to the IRS and a bank in Oakland.

Sponsor

Staff online