Mid-Atlantic Timberline, WV resort's future?

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by Dr. Bighair, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Thread Starter
    TS
    Dr. Bighair

Dr. Bighair Putting on skis Skier

its a festivus miracle….employees got w-2's

scottyb likes this.
  2. Coach13

Coach13 Out on the slopes Skier

For whatever reason I just can’t get excited about Snowshoe.

pipestem likes this.
  3. pipestem

pipestem Booting up Skier

Anyone else feel like Timberline is the southern Saddleback? Yeah I know Saddleback did not the same management issues, but there was the lack of money for the last lift upgrade, the remote location, the devoted angry beavers, the resort real estate, the failed rescue, the attempted coop, Rangely and Davis. Heck even the parking was similar. It's not a perfect match, but the end result looks similar. In case you cannot read it - I really liked Saddleback.

edit: haha, I just ran a search and found out Saddleback was discussed 2 pages ago. I can't keep up.

John Webb likes this.
  4. pipestem

pipestem Booting up Skier

And and furthermore (to quote Chrissie Hynde), is there a sustainable enterprise smaller than the current Timberline? What about one new lift to the top and a repair or used replacement of the Woods hole lift (keep the towers and footings) ? What about snowmaking on a few good ways down, eg Sally, Lightning, Heaven, Woods, and special occasion natural snow on the rest, kind of like CV ? Is there some other point where costs and revenue intersect ? Did the homeowners have a mandatory resort fee ? I would like to think there is a less risk sustainable alternative. Pipe dream I suppose, the future is probably 1M houses up and down the slopes.

This is all I need - 1 chair and 1 t-bar.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  5. Johnfmh

Johnfmh Johnfmh Skier

The drama is the same but Timberline does not live under the shadow of Sugarloaf and is much closer and easier to get to from major metro areas. It also exists in a microclimate few competitors have. One can only imagine what the place would be like with snowmaking on par with Snowshoe or Whitetail.

scottyb and jimmy like this.

6. SCWVA

SCWVA Booting up Skier

Snowshoe......been there done that. I used to ski Snowshoe exclusively until I started skiing in the land of milk and honey.

jimmy likes this.
  7. Mook21

Mook21 Booting up Skier

Received some Facebook torture today: Photo from 4 years ago riding in the powder in Cherry Bowl with my son! Great memories there.

Philpug likes this.
  8. Coach13

With me it’s not about the terrain or conditions, I think. It’s just hard to get to, crowded and expensive for what it is. If I was close enough to do mid-week day trips maybe I’d feel differently. For the 4-5 hours to get there, cost to ski and expensive lodging, I can fly to Colorado and ski multiple resorts. I guess long story short, it doesn’t cut it for me as a destination resort. I’d much rather make the few hour trip to 7 Springs for comparable skiing.

pipestem and RichieRich like this.
  9. jdm00

jdm00 Booting up Skier

Snowshoe is my go to because the season passes are cheap, we have the lodging covered, and from Cincinnati, we're driving a ways to get to better skiing. Colorado is just a bit cost-prohibitive with small kids.

I agree that it is hard to get to, and can be very crowded. Living in the middle of a metropolitan area of 2.2 million people, I don't mind that it's in the middle of nowhere once we are there.

scottyb and jimmy like this.
  10. AndyGene

AndyGene Booting up Skier

I also live in Cincinnati. Snowshoe doesn’t feel nearly as crowded as Perfect North does on a busy day. One day I hope to own a place in the mountains to make lodging more affordable and force me to get out more often.

scottyb likes this.
  11. Bluedon

Bluedon Booting up Skier

Snowshoe is a PITA to get to and it's crowded on weekends and holidays. It's also expensive on weekends.
    Midweeks are the key. Slopeside lodging is reasonable Sun - Thu and a season pass is $259.

pipestem and scottyb like this.
  12. Johnfmh

Johnfmh Johnfmh Skier

Power company is shutting off power to the lodge beginning 11 March for past due bills:

13. Bluedon

Bluedon Booting up Skier

Correct me if I'm wrong but they usually do not post shut off notices unless you are more than 2 months behind.

14. JohnL

JohnL Skied Past The Most Interesting Man in the World. Team Gathermeister

Call for Bobby Snyder on the Pugski courtesy phone.....

Dr. Bighair and scottyb like this.
  15. jimmy

jimmy Mixmaster Skier

I have heard plenty of rumors over the last few days but all I know for sure is this. I drove through the parking lot last Thursday morning and there were six guys walking around the equipment bone yard taking pictures and making notes. All of the fan guns they have left are still up on the mountain. Fred Herz was with them but it looked like he wasn't too happy to be there. Probably won't be too hard to find out if anything happened with the power company today.

Johnfmh and scottyb like this.
  16. scottyb

scottyb Getting on the lift Skier

Iffn the power goes out eat the ice cream first.

John Webb, jimmy and Philpug like this.
  17. Kemperski

Kemperski Putting on skis Skier

I find french onion dip gets more savory. Perhaps these were the things in the inventory

Bullwheel-- cracked
    Icecream -- melted
    tower u-bolts-- missing
    goodwill -- gone

John Webb, scottyb, JohnL and 3 others like this.
  18. Johnfmh

Johnfmh Johnfmh Skier

The newest report on Timber-lies indicates that Timberline withheld money from employee paychecks for taxes but never remitted that money to IRS. If true, Timberline has more legal woes than I ever imagined.

Philpug and scottyb like this.
  19. Coach13

I knew this was coming sooner or later. When you aren’t paying normal bills you certainly aren’t paying the bills that take a little effort and accounting.

John Webb and Philpug like this.
  20. Philpug

Philpug Enjoying being back on two skis. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

Yeah, the government frowns upon that.

scottyb and Bluedon like this.