• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Wouldn't surprise me if the snowmobile club chipped in and bought it and their snow guns and just made it a full time snowmobile park. They wouldn't have to worry about fixing the lifts..

Kayakkeith

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
This looks like the county is seizing everything and this is different then the receivership of the utility..
How do others see this???
Looks like this was all filed today

Attachments

• 7514B480-601F-46E0-9D51-5815ECA7D7A4.jpeg
    7514B480-601F-46E0-9D51-5815ECA7D7A4.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 26
  • F52ADC06-4798-4F1C-BA18-CE52197A46DA.jpeg
    F52ADC06-4798-4F1C-BA18-CE52197A46DA.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 25
  • E7193B1B-30E1-400A-910E-403950D458E1.jpeg
    E7193B1B-30E1-400A-910E-403950D458E1.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 27

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
This looks like the county is seizing everything and this is different then the receivership of the utility..
How do others see this???
Looks like this was all filed today

That's what it looks like - is this the entire document? Seems like the argument is that receivership of just the utility isn't enough. Not sure if it meets the requisite legal requirements . . .

The Colonel

Putting on skis
Skier
I guess the snowy luau and snowmobile races are off? This will go down as their worst season ever.. and probably their last.
So, so sad! I was just planning a three day trip to Canaan Valley and it hit me hard that skiing at TL at all was out. No snowy luau, no loudly singing(?) “Country Roads” while on season-ending last run down “Heavenly”!! What a waste, how utterly SAD!
MorganB
aka The Colonel

scottyb

Getting off the lift
Skier
So, so sad! I was just planning a three day trip to Canaan Valley and it hit me hard that skiing at TL at all was out. No snowy luau, no loudly singing(?) “Country Roads” while on season-ending last run down “Heavenly”!! What a waste, how utterly SAD!
MorganB
aka The Colonel

You can still do that if you are willing to hike for the dregs. I would suspect you will be by yourself.

Let us know how it goes.

Bluedon

Putting on skis
Skier

Doesn't this paragraph effectively shut them down?

In addition to all the above listed Timberline entities being placed into receivership, the plaintiff’s request, “Frederick Herz, Frederick Reichle, Rose Marie Herz, and Tracy Herz, as well as their employees, agents, and assigns, be restrained, prevented, prohibited and stopped from utilizing any and all personal property now owned or thereafter acquired by Timberline Four Seasons Resort Management including but not limited to all goods, products, equipment, furniture, money, instruments, accounts, accounts receivable, documents, contractual rights, until further Order of this court.”

DrJ

Booting up
Skier
They were closed for the weekend. But there is some interesting news out of Charleston. Tracy claims the utility actually owes Timberline $900k.

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/...cle_6422c942-b235-5096-b133-504c454dd493.html

This isn't entirely a new claim - the supposed note for $900k is described in the back-and-forth with the PSC as mysteriously appearing in the 1992 financials, but not in the 1991 startup financials - but Tline had not previously commented on what the note was for. PSC approval would have been required for the note, and was never requested or granted. My reading of the PSC documents is that they suspected it was the paid-in startup costs of the utility, but they couldn't prove it, and now Tline has admitted that to a reporter - not the brightest move. The PSC appears to consider those costs as owner's equity, and there are limits on distributions of that equity.

DrJ

Booting up
Skier
Doesn't this paragraph effectively shut them down?

In addition to all the above listed Timberline entities being placed into receivership, the plaintiff’s request, “Frederick Herz, Frederick Reichle, Rose Marie Herz, and Tracy Herz, as well as their employees, agents, and assigns, be restrained, prevented, prohibited and stopped from utilizing any and all personal property now owned or thereafter acquired by Timberline Four Seasons Resort Management including but not limited to all goods, products, equipment, furniture, money, instruments, accounts, accounts receivable, documents, contractual rights, until further Order of this court.”

No - this is a request to the circuit court, not an order.

Receivership of the regulated monopoly utility is one thing - you are granted a monopoly because it's pointless and inefficient to have multiple utilities serving the same area, and along with the grant comes a requirement to provide service to standards, which are clearly not being met.

Receivership of a privately-owned business is an entirely different thing, and while I'm far from an expert on WV case law, I think it's something of a stretch, although perhaps the unpaid taxes are a basis for it. Timber-lies posted some of the court filing for this request, although it was an incomplete copy missing at least one page.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Timberline annouced it is closing for the season:

https://m.facebook.com/TlineWV/

Also, some homeowners received an email from a person seeking to explore the COOP option for the resort—similar to Mad River Glen. Not sure that is viable. How would such a COOP buy the mountain and from whom is not explained? The current owners, those who have liens against the resort or other legal claims, or perhaps the county or courts? It will be a challenge at this point to secure a free and clear title, especially while the current owners continue to fight to retain the resort.

Last edited:

Norsk

Booting up
Skier
Color me skeptical as well. There's a lot of overlap between people who love Timberline and people who love the idea of a coop. Or perhaps people who love MRG. Its kinda the same type person. But to me, Timberline and MRG are apples and swordfish. MRG can rely much more on natural snow, meaning much less need for snowmaking, it draws from a much larger regional base of skiers, and it has an ancient lift which is viewed as an asset, not a deathtrap. Just very very different.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Color me skeptical as well. There's a lot of overlap between people who love Timberline and people who love the idea of a coop. Or perhaps people who love MRG. Its kinda the same type person. But to me, Timberline and MRG are apples and swordfish. MRG can rely much more on natural snow, meaning much less need for snowmaking, it draws from a much larger regional base of skiers, and it has an ancient lift which is viewed as an asset, not a deathtrap. Just very very different.
The single chair isn't actually ancient. They spent $1.5M to rebuild it in 2007.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It was fun while it lasted. Last two outings there were pretty disappointing with pretty thin cover most places and bare spots we had to hop over or take skis off to walk across. Didn't help that it was usually raining those last two years.

They got 81" of natural snow this season, same as Snowshoe. What a waste of a beautiful mountain..

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
It was fun while it lasted. Last two outings there were pretty disappointing with pretty thin cover most places and bare spots we had to hop over or take skis off to walk across. Didn't help that it was usually raining those last two years.

They got 81" of natural snow this season, same as Snowshoe. What a waste of a beautiful mountain..

My daughter Emily has been asking all year long for me to take her and run salamander. I guess now it’s not an option this season. Let’s hope that someone buys that ski area to make it a ski area. That place has the potential to be great.

Kemperski

Getting on the lift
Skier
What is the affection for Salamander? Just run the timber trail at CVR

there is a lot I will miss about t-line but not Salamander