• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
what is the Uh Oh for??
TL is closed today and tomorrow. The question is, will they reopen on Thursday or has the $hit hit the fan?

AndyGene

Putting on skis
Skier
I’ve honestly thought they were toast 3 other times when the lift broke earlier this year. And I thought they were toast before the season started. Did the lift burn to the ground? That’s the only way to really be sure.

Bluedon

Putting on skis
Skier
Hints on that Timber-lies Facebook page of bounced paychecks last week. Today there is a post with a link to the IRS website on how to get help to obtain one's W-2.

Good grief, if true that's just awful. I'm sure many of those folks count on their checks for day to day living expenses - I know I do.

Do enough people really go there on weekends and buy tickets and food to sustain current expenses?

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I got a feeling the fat lady’s about to sing here...She’s been warming up for weeks.

Kemperski

Getting on the lift
Skier
worst of all--- Timberline is NOT at the timberline.

(this has always bothered me)

RodneyBD

Hatfield made rain for L.A.
Skier
Is there a possibility to connect the dots here?

Posted by TFSR: "Timberline Ski Resort is under special use permit to the Monongahela National Forest for portions of Salamander and
selected back country trails."

From NSAA Ski Lift Safety Fact Sheet: "Additionally, ski areas operating on U.S. Forest System lands must adhere to lift-related requirements in their special use permits. The U.S. Forest Service requires certification and inspection of lifts in accordance with the ANSI B77 Committee standards. Moreover, the U.S. Forest Service has members on the ANSI B77 Committee, and the agency monitors ski lift construction and operation on public land, as well as requiring high levels of insurance coverage." https://www.nsaa.org/media/310500/Lift_Safety_Fact_Sheet_2017.pdf

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
worst of all--- Timberline is NOT at the timberline.

(this has always bothered me)

Actually if you look closely there is a timberline; the trees change from deciduous to coniferous about three quarters of the way up the hill.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Is there a possibility to connect the dots here?

Posted by TFSR: "Timberline Ski Resort is under special use permit to the Monongahela National Forest for portions of Salamander and
selected back country trails."

From NSAA Ski Lift Safety Fact Sheet: "Additionally, ski areas operating on U.S. Forest System lands must adhere to lift-related requirements in their special use permits. The U.S. Forest Service requires certification and inspection of lifts in accordance with the ANSI B77 Committee standards. Moreover, the U.S. Forest Service has members on the ANSI B77 Committee, and the agency monitors ski lift construction and operation on public land, as well as requiring high levels of insurance coverage." https://www.nsaa.org/media/310500/Lift_Safety_Fact_Sheet_2017.pdf

Not sure what dots you're looking to connect, but a couple of questions:

1) Does the Forest Service requirement apply to lifts that are on FS land, or to lifts that serve terrain in the same resort some part of which is on FS land? If only trails are on FS land, arguably the requirement might not apply.

2) Is the "requirement" a federal regulation or just a term of the lease/permit? If a lease/permit term, then a failure wouldn't be a 'federal offense', instead it would be a violation of the lease/permit, with whatever consequences that means, which might include termination or perhaps some for of penalty under the lease.

Skisix

Booting up
Skier
I didn't realize the next season of Ozark was being released early...

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yep. And for anyone not familiar with the leading character's in the tslime debacle, Dr. Reichle, who was one of the Dr.s arrested for illegal opioid activity in that article, is the primary owner of timberline.

Ouch!!!

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Folks on the Timber-lies web site think that asset seizures could be next. The other thought is that Doc Reichle will push for a quick sale at fair market value to cover his impending legal costs. Sad situation that gets worse by the day.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January