• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Dr. Bighair

Dr. Bighair

Dr. Style
Skier
This morning when they fired up the bunny lift at timberline, the last working lift, it broke down. The closed the resort down shortly after and announced they would open up again on wed. after they do lift "maintenance". There was a crew in a bucket truck this afternoon working on the wheels on the towers of the bunny lift.

The Colonel

Putting on skis
Skier
This morning when they fired up the bunny lift at timberline, the last working lift, it broke down. The closed the resort down shortly after and announced they would open up again on wed. after they do lift "maintenance". There was a crew in a bucket truck this afternoon working on the wheels on the towers of the bunny lift.

At TL, unfortunately the issue of “Trust” continues to grow!!!! However, kudos to the Canaan Valley Resort for allowing those planning to ski at TL, with purchased TL lift tickets, to use the TL tickets at CVR over MLK weekend during this TL lift crisis. That’s good for the Valley’s reputation as a winter sports mecca, and hopefully will pay future dividends for Canaan Valley Resort as more folks learn about the nearly new CV Lodge Hotel and all the winter sports offered at Canaan Valley Resort State Park: lift supported skiing and snowboarding, tubing, cross country skiing, snow shoeing, ice skating, indoor pool, etc. and close proximity to White Grass cross country ski slopes and trails, a lift served sledding slope at Blackwater Falls State Park, and all the other unique amenities available in the Valley and the nearby towns of Davis and Thomas WV!

Last edited:

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OMG this is getting painful. where or where is that recapitalization ? this is more like recapitulation.

Don’t worry, the top tier Wall Street investment banking firm is dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s. And I can’t officially say this, but there may just be a little left over to open a Bogner boutique.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Does anyone know how difficult it to replace a bearing on a bullwheel? Does the resort have the bandwidth to complete such a repair? From viewing this video, it looks like a massive undertaking:

Last edited:

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does anyone know how difficult it to replace a bearing on a bullwheel? Does the resort have the bandwidth to complete such a repair? From viewing this video, it looks like a massive undertaking:

I’m sure it’s no easy task especially given their level of proven incompetence at TL.

CharlieM

Booting up
Skier

Most resorts would do this during warm weather but the TLines management believes it's staff can accomplish this much more efficiently during sub-zero weather. No need for dry ice to shrink the shaft in order to slip the bearings on!

RodneyBD

Hatfield made rain for L.A.
Skier
There are some interesting and well reasoned comments on the Timber-Lies Facebook page by folks who have some knowledge of the situation... and it sounds like a recipe for disaster. West Virginia has no oversight of aerial tramways or lifts (https://liftblog.com/2016/03/01/does-your-state-have-a-tramway-board/),and there has already been one serious incident at Timberline. How is this issue not on the radar of any elected officials ?!?!? - if I owned a house in the Valley I would be all over Delegate Jennings, Senator Smith and Senator Sypolt

http://www.wvlegislature.gov/house/lawmaker.cfm?member=Delegate Jennings
http://www.wvlegislature.gov/Senate1/lawmaker.cfm?member=Senator Smith
http://www.wvlegislature.gov/Senate1/lawmaker.cfm?member=Senator Sypolt

James

Out There
Instructor

Well, how hard can it be it's on youtube?

There was a crew in a bucket truck this afternoon working on the wheels on the towers of the bunny lift.
How flat is a trail that one can drive a bucket truck on it to access the tower wheels? In winter no less.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, how hard can it be it's on youtube?

How flat is a trail that one can drive a bucket truck on it to access the tower wheels? In winter no less.

It is the bunny hill. And maybe has 50 feet of vertical.

To be clear, the bearing issue is on the main lift - 1000 foot vertical. The bucket truck is repairing the bunny lift - also down. There is a third lift (down-graded from triple to double, not loading every chair in recent years), that by the admission on T-Lines FB page, has not been inspected this year.

Quiz at 5 PM...

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I count my lucky stars, I have ridden the triple at Tline many times before it failed.

The last being two days before it dropped people to the ground.

I was on the triple when it dropped people to the ground - fortunately a long distance away from the collapsed tower. I was one of the 100's riding the lift who had to be lift evac'ed via the harness. Glad it was not a bitterly cold day, our chair was one of the last removed and it took about an hour before ski patrol (with ski school assistance) got to our chair.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Posted on the Timberline web site:

“OUR SLOPES WILL REOPEN Wednesday, January 23- MORE SLOPES OPENING THIS WEEK!
Thunderdraft Triple Lift---An experienced work crew from the Manufacturer of the lift will be onsite today to install new parts. This should be a 1 to 2 day fix and the lift will be back in operation by Friday.”

Manufacturer? Hm. Borvig went out of business in 1993.

Sponsor