• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skisix

Booting up
Skier
Here it is:
http://www.psc.state.wv.us/scripts/WebDocket/ViewDocument.cfm?CaseActivityID=511139

The commission recommends receivership, and CVPSD has agreed to take over T4SU if this goes forward. Not a surprising outcome. Some of the details in the report are really scary. Major and willful mismanagement. I imagine there will be some legal repercussions going forward.

By the way, CVPSD seems to be growing in other directions as well:
https://www.parsonsadvocate.com/can...ct-will-serve-new-customers-in-canaan-valley/

TS
Dr. Bighair

Dr. Bighair

Dr. Style
Skier
Timberline closed the resort today shortly after lunch. They just announced they will be closed tomorrow as well. They are refusing to give honest answers on their facebook page. In fact, they continue to delete any comments from locals and others in the know who are trying to point unknowing potential customers in the right direction so they can still enjoy their vacation to the area. They also removed the ability for customers to leave reviews.

There are about a dozen guns lined up in front of the maintenance building that need repaired because of freezing them up like the pic above. There was no snowmaking today or this evening when I drove by.

If they do open back up for the holiday weekend, folks should be asking some serious questions about the lifts before they load them. The lift inspection recently performed was not a pass or fail inspection....it was an sign off requirement of ownership by owner for the insurance company. I do not know the answers to these questions, but after seeing what is going on over there I think it is reasonable to want the answers. ---When was the last time a load test as required by ansi b77 was performed on these lifts? Were the previous welds that have been performed as temporary fixes in the past been inspected? Were the issues with the gear boxes on all three lifts, that were discovered during the failed joint pass with Canaan Resort a few years ago, ever fixed? Have the bearings been replaced as they are supposed to be? Have the safeties that shut down the triple in case of a derailment been repaired or is the lift still being run on safety override?

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Things are blowing up on their FB page. Lots of disgruntled customers - posts will get deleted soon.

Several mentions of bad rumors on blog posts - they didn’t know if they were true. Hmmmm.

From my own experience, I’ve found 80 percent of the “insider rumors” were true, and 80 percent of the company line weren’t. YMMV.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Lifts were not spinning at 9 am yesterday but I noticed Thunderdraft spinning at 11 am when I left, and then I hear the resort closed an hour later. Neighborhoods around the resort are a ghost town. A local business owner complained to me yesterday about turmoil this is causing in the Valley. I can only hope that tax and legal problems will finally take thei toll, starting with the utility, which appears on the path to receivership. Can’t wait to see Timberline removed from my utility bills.

Bluedon

Putting on skis
Skier
What a shame. Reading the undeleted FB comments of families driving 8 and 14 hours with kids to that mess of an operation.

TL is sooooo naive in marketing that they may not even realize they have a link on their FB page to Trip Advisor Reviews. The 1st four are "one star" reviews boldly critical of what is happening there.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
What a shame. Reading the undeleted FB comments of families driving 8 and 14 hours with kids to that mess of an operation.

This I don't understand. I feel for those families but how on earth would they not know about the situation? Just one google search, that's all it takes. Prebooked ski school ? I hope they can get some value from the rest of the valley.[

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Well it may be hard to understand but Timberline was always a bit dysfunctional it was one of the things that made them special. Departments functioned, snowsports school taught, food and beverage served, mountain patrol patrolled and mountain operations operated. four or five years ago the "Managing Partner" started to get involved in the operations and here we are. Why would someone investigate you ask? It's been on the brink for so long i really think to people who are not following closely it just looks like another season. Management wasn't very honest about the situation and there you have it.

There was enough natural snow when I left Canaan Valley Sunday to ski non snow making terrain, so yes we got snow.

teebrews

Poachin' your zit hill
Skier
Pass Pulled
SAD!
Did the snow that hit DC land there?
No, it did not. About 5" of lighter weight snow over several days topped with frizzle in Canaan. I have about double at my house near DC, about 10" medium weight. South-South East winds don't generally work for Canaan because it creates a down-sloping effect.

Last edited:

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
CV had some additional trail openings yesterday. I was ther Saturday and Sunday. Ok skiing. A bity icy in the usual spots.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
CV had some additional trail openings yesterday. I was ther Saturday and Sunday. Ok skiing. A bity icy in the usual spots.

Unless the meadows and dark side are full on, CVR really needs Gravity and Ramble both open to the general public.

When it is deep (not there yet), Upper C lift line and Prosperity are a blast.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well it may be hard to understand but Timberline was always a bit dysfunctional it was one of the things that made them special..

Exactly ! so never go to tline without checking out the situation first. its a rule.

TS
Dr. Bighair

Dr. Bighair

Dr. Style
Skier
A few years ago, shortly after the thunderdraft lift collapsed, I was working a job with an employee of another company who said he worked at timberline in it's early days...long before the lift collapse that made national news. He remembered when he worked there that timberline received the manufacturer's bulletin to install u-bolts on the towers. He said Timberline had signed for the bulletin as well as for the u-bolts that were provided free of charge to be installed per the bulletin to correct a known problem with the lift towers. However, the u-bolts were never installed by timberline. U-bolts were installed after the lift collapsed by the company that was brought in to deal with the disaster. After the collapse of the tower, a bunch of old U-bolts were found in storage at timberline buried beneath old equipment. Here is a pic of one of them...

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

scottyb

Getting off the lift
Skier
I recall when the original silver queen upper lift towers were installed they were set at the wrong angle. They had to be reset at great expense with a helicopter.

Glen Plake remarked it was the only lift ride that scared him, back when it was installed at Crested Butte.

Last edited:

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
They reported Upper Dew Drop opened today. Also, one of the snowcats broke down on Salamander and has been abandoned there.

Norsk

Booting up
Skier
I am told that the Thundedraft chair suffered a mechanical failure mid-day today and is now closed. Unclear timeline to repair. Timberline giving refunds to skiers. Only lift running is the bunny.

Sponsor

Staff online