• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RichieRich

Booting up
Skier
Yeah , the latest shit bag move is Tracy brought a bunch of J1 school kids in to work and promptly abandoned them with no job, food or place to stay.

Luckily the CV community came together to help them and CVR hired the ones who wanted to stay.
Seems the Community and CVR showed support for the poor students, while anyone setting a ski on Tline shows support for Tracy et al.

RockfishHunter

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Wow, had no idea about the J1 kids being brought in to work the mountain. I'd love to know the tale that was spun to pass that off as some kind of work-study. I wouldn't be surprised about the trust thing.... she told me some tall tale of how she and Fred met at some grand governor's ball and some nonsense about being a Daughter of the American Revolution. Which is ironic since a lot of the rambling late night facebook posts keep highlighting that it was an "Immigrant Business"

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, one of the problems with twenty page threads. Lots more a few pages back.

This is terrible - the kids on the J1 have upended their lives to participate in the exchange program and are collateral damage in this tragicomedy. Please PM me if you have any updates with regard to the kids and their status. There is a department at State that monitor's the program sponsors and the exchange participant's health and welfare.

Sounds like he local "villagers" (what the owners call the local residents...that and "low end" and "cockroaches") have stepped in to help the kids. "Timber-lies" group page on Facebook is a good source for information on what is going on with this J-1 international employee incident and other day to day timberline information without the spin and damage control filter that the media so often grants the owners.

The Valley locals have been nothing short of amazing in stepping up and helping the J1 participants. CVR in particular deserves some praise and a reward of some kind. This is the latest from the Best of Canaan Facebook page, link:
We had a call from Canaan Valley Resort a few minutes ago and they are asking for help to find lodging for 17 to 19 J1 students. They need accommodations beginning this Saturday night through March 3rd. Canaan is looking for one or two homes to rent and/or people who are willing to take one or two of these students into your home for the winter. Many thanks to Steve Drumheller and the staff at CVR who have stepped up to help these students, offer them jobs, along with temporary lodging, food and transportation until they get settled. I am truly proud of our community and ALL the folks - both locals and vacation owners who have offered to help in any way. If you are able to help with lodging, please call Becky Auvil at CVR, 304-866-2201.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Warning Thread Hijack. Come to the Allegheny Region Mid-A Gathering Feb. 1-4. @Laurel Mountain. Early arrivals will meet at Laurel Friday Feb. 1 with a Happy Hour in the Wildcat Lounge downstairs. We will meet at Laurel Saturday morning 9 AM to start. Depending on condition we may move to Seven Springs on Sunday or Blue Knob. Come join us for the weekend or a day.

My personal Timberline story? I use to go often enough that their Ridiculous seemed like a deal so I got 2 for wife and I. However conditions on the mountain were never consistent enough to justify the travel and expense. We used our pass just one time one the 3 years we owed them. They were the most expensive day tickets ever but I figured if this helps T-line through a rough winter we will all be the better for it. I see our faith has not been rewarded.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
ok confess, who among you watched the entire video ? Are you just in it for the hole ?

RodneyBD

Hatfield made rain for L.A.
Skier
I'm surprised none of the Homeowners Associations have banded together and tried to sue Timberline. Even if there is a low probability of winning any kind of judgement or relief - at least you are helping hasten the death spiral. However I'm not plugged in to local politics, maybe there are some homeowners who are delusional and are still rooting for the owners to make it through their self inflicted predicament?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Wow... very cool article. And Timberline's approach and treatment of them was dreadful. But it sounds like CVR and Winterplace (and some South Dakota resort) stepped up well.

One section that jumped out :

Tocto [manager of the J1 sponsor company] arranged a meeting with the J1 students and Tracy Edmonds Herz. After the meeting, Tocto and the students were unsatisfied with the terms.

Tocto alluded to a long running business relationship with Timberline dating back to 2005. “They usually ask for around 15 students. This year they asked if they could double those numbers,” Tocto said.

They had asked for 30 J1 sponsored employees? I don't know when that would have been, but seems crazy.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you want to keep this thread going...please keep it on topic.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I know it won’t happen but I wish the state would step in and take it over, put some money into it and run things as they do CV. If you could ski both hills on 1 pass it would make the area a much bigger player in the winter vacation market than either place is right now imo.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Other then "donuts"...which one was NOT ABOUT Timberline??? Or did...um...Tracy ring you up?
LOL LOL I remember 10 years ago being reprimanded over at DCski when making a derogatory comment re Snowshoe, and Bill Rock made a ringie-dingie.
It was the donuts.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid