• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
Oh my, it's been a while. Have you forgotten where's Stumptown is?

RodneyBD

Hatfield made rain for L.A.
Skier
Canaan Valley had one of its best days ever on Sunday with 1,500 day tickets sold. Skiing is still allive in the valley.

It seems so obvious - build it and they will come. CV and a revitalized Timberline (under new ownership) have the opportunity to generate 250k annual skier visits and transform the Canaan winter economy. The ski highway similarities are striking: Boston has I-93 to the White Mtns; NYC has I-87 to Catskill and Green Mtns; Philly has I-476 to the Poconos. I hope I can make Corridor H trips before my kids grow up!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I hope I can make Corridor H trips before my kids grow up!

It's still a crap shoot with the weather. Past four trips we've taken there have been 25% REALLY cold but LOTS of snow, 75% warm with rain, sometimes pouring rain.

RockfishHunter

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I met Fred and Tracy about 3 years ago during their last decent winter and during a major storm cycle/cold snap. Met them at a restaurant and then they invited myself and my girlfriend at the time to drinks at Timbers the next night. They were honestly pretty nice to us, though the first thing they did was trash CV as a "depressed terrain that real skiers don't like" when I said we skied there one day, and wanted to pick our brains on things they could do to make the mountain more appealing to people from MD (where I am from) - that said, the word that kept coming to mind was "Delusional". Everything was essentially "We have the best of the best". Keep in mind this was at Timbers Pub, where one of the delicacies that was served on the appetizer platter - to the owners - was rolled up fried bologna. Tracy seemed to be under some kind of impression that they were after a high end clientelle - talking about changing the menu to quiches that she'd make herself because she trained as a chef in France or some nonsense. I told her to look around and ask herself if that was a Quiche Lorraine crowd. Told her to start with some decent wings, a decent burger and some beers. Capitalize on the rustic charm that had not quite been extinguished yet at T-line. From what I heard they didn't listen. She also talked about opening a Bogner store at the mountain. Wattt??

It's sad to say but I think it's too far gone without a major outside investor and new management. The shoe string and duct tape approach just can't work with the unpredictable climate we have in the mid Atlantic. Maybe if they hadn't let things go for so long, but the damage is done.

Norsk

Booting up
Skier
I believe there was a short lived "upgrade" to the menu at Timbers a couple years back. WAY off target for their customer base and, at the same time, not nearly good enough to have pleased any actual foodies that somehow got lost and ended up in Timbers.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
WV bognar:
1364260439_pic5.jpg

RockfishHunter

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
If the owners weren't totally out of touch with reality and hadn't let the mountain become a complete pariah, that'd be a great model. While I don't relish the thought of a corporate behemoth coming in and taking over, I think that's what it is going to take. They need tens of millions of dollars in upgrades to their snowmaking system alone - I don't think that's happening with private money, but I'm also not an industry expert. What I don't really understand is why they are hanging onto it - stubborn pride? It's not like the community is rallying around them and they're trying to do right by them. They seem to have pissed off everyone who has crossed their path.

AndyGene

Putting on skis
Skier
What I don't really understand is why they are hanging onto it - stubborn pride?
I think there may be a trust that they only have access to if they are running a ski resort. This is purely speculation. Either that or they are trolling the locals for the lolz.

Swimski

Rough Edges
Skier
Update about the lodge from the TL Facebook page posted last night (1/5):"The facility did not pass its second inspection, and more items were added to the original list as well."

They have also posted an offer to work with current season pass holders in extending the passes to next year, which is a good thing....

Last edited:

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Update about the lodge from the TL Facebook page posted last night (1/5):"The facility did not pass its second inspection, and more items were added to the original list as well."

The roaches are an interesting issue. Those pests are not supposed to live in cool, high elevation places. The lodge was without heat for a good portion of the year, so I am suprised there is a roach infestation.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The roaches are an interesting issue. Those pests are not supposed to live in cool, high elevation places. The lodge was without heat for a good portion of the year, so I am suprised there is a roach infestation.

You need to deprive pests of food and water. From what I've heard, they just immediately stopped operations in the Spring, leaving food in the fridges/freezers (with no power!) and possibly not stored away at all. The dining areas were pretty messy in the fall, per people who were in them.

Sponsor

Staff online