• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A friend counted just ten cars in the lots yesterday.

Well, no food or beverage service.
300 feet of vertical for skiing (mid-station), plus one rocky road green from the top. Which is closed today.
Snow at the chairlift base that looks like someone crapped all over it. (Pix from today are far worse than the one posted here yesterday.)
And $67 for the honor of using the facilities.

Who were these 10 people?

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I enjoy a challenge

This is my kind of low cover challenge at the Slime - from end of last season. From the top of a decent-sized whale. Not rocks tilled up into the snowpack. Edit: stopped to take this pic, but the goal was to Ski this crux with flow, without breaking rhythm. A couple diff lines to do so.

67F3E7E4-DDBE-4C4A-A341-081D6C5FAA26.jpeg

Last edited:

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Does anyone else think that the issues with TL hurt the perception of skiing in WV as a whole?

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Short answer: yes. At the very minimum, WV will need to think seriously about licensing ski lift operators after seeing what is going on at TL. The pictures posted on Timber-lies are unbelievable.

And maybe license the groomers too. ;)

Last edited:

Kemperski

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've been curious, where does the low end local reference come from , I assume a remark or they made or one of their bizarre late night facebook posts.

Regarding perception---I live in NC and it amazes me how few of my skiing acquaintances have ever even been to TL or CVR., they never seem to make it past snowshoe, that is probably less true of Virginia and DC

as has been noted Corridor H should have been such a gift to T-line

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Can confirm, Salamander did open, very thin, very icy and with tons of rocks the whole way down. The "s" turn is particularly rocky and will soon be worse as a new rain system moves into place this evening and looks to drop a lot of rain thru tomorrow. Dont know why folks would bother spending $67 at this disgrace they call a "resort". Pic leading into S turn.
You'll have rock skis when you arrive or you'll have rock skis when you leave. ;)

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Short answer: yes. At the very minimum, WV will need to think seriously about licensing ski lift operators after seeing what is going on at TL. The pictures posted on Timber-lies are unbelievable.

And maybe license the groomers too. ;)

It is even worse than you realize. Pics of Sally from this am are far worse than what is on Timber-lies. Unconfirmed rumor is that Fred inquired to ski patrol about opening Sally today, laying down more magic carpet. Safety won out. (Very Carefully phrased.)

For those who don’t ski Timberline, this is a beginner trail we are talking about, easiest way down from the top of the mountain.

The owners have no common sense - their financial problems are extreme, but I think this is even worse.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
In this picture, taken today at 10:30 am, the snow looks a bit better but it’s still café laté skiing. Note the absence of skiers on a major holiday weekend.

PS Our HOA has petitioned Fred for three years to remove the defunct zipline tower on the upper left side of the picture, a favorite place for renters to congregate for sundowners. He always promises to remove it but never delivers.

RodneyBD

Hatfield made rain for L.A.
Skier
I’m watching their absurd efforts to open and stay open... and I’m thinking there must be something at stake that is contingent on their status as an operating (open for business) ski facility. On a strict operational/income statement basis they are losing and will continue to lose money. A logical move would be to shut down during the week and try to operate during the weekend (or shut down and wait for the cold snap). But that could violate some kind of covenant or contingency for funding, tax relief, etc that could impact their balance sheet.

Some guesses are: grant money from the county or state? Tax relief tied to their status as a tourist generator? Tax increment financing? A permit that is worth something and could be at risk? Any other good guesses?

Skisix

Booting up
Skier
I've been thinking the same thing for a few years now. There must be some side game being played to justify keeping t-line open in its current state, but I have no idea what that game might be.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
The affects of climate change are becoming more and more evident. How much longer will the most vulnerable ski areas last? Will it really make any sense to try and run a ski resort in the south east in another 10, 20 years? I doubt it.

Sponsor

Staff online