• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kemperski

Getting on the lift
Skier
so are lifts actually spinning today? And that line is a serious repair, will any contractor still deal with them

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Why was the boil water advisory lifted before the water main was actually repaired? :huh:

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Lifts are spinning but nothing is opened beyond the midstation. There also does not seem to be any snowmaking in progress despite favorable temps. I skied CV today. CV is making snow onthe meadows trail and a few spots elsewhere. Conditions were pretty good all things considered, especially with a bit of new snow.

Last edited:

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lifts are spinning but nothing is opened beyond the midstation. There also does not seem to be any snowmaking in progress despite favorable temps. I skied CV today. CV is making snow onthe meadows trail and a few spots elsewhere. Conditions were pretty good all things considered, especially with a bit of new snow.

Did you get the WV homeowner season pass?

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Conditions were pretty good all things considered, especially with a bit of new snow.

Sound like better conditions than we had up at Killington. Not too bad skiing in the rain on Friday, but then everything froze up overnight. Challenging conditions to be sure.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Did you get the WV homeowner season pass?

No. If I can’t ski Timberline then I want to divide my local ski days between CV and Whitetail.

As for Conditions, they were definitely better today at CV than the dust on crust situations we sometimes get here. There was a surprising amount of soft, new snow, especially on the sides of trails. Limited terrain, however.... Also, lots of newbies having trouble loading. Lift stoppages galore—felt like I was riding Thunderdraft.

Last edited:

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Some snowmaking on Lower Heaven this am. No evidence of any snowmaking on the upper mountain, although lights are on on WL, which might be a sign of impending activity.

knuckledragger

Booting up
Skier
Anyone know if Timberline is actually open today? Their website shows they have 4 slopes open & 2 lifts running.
I'm sure it will not be great but, it is more encouraging than what what I expected (closed for the season) from all the rumors.
It's a shame they can't get their act together or sell, that place could be a great destination for the region.

Lowendvillager

Booting up
Skier
Anyone know if Timberline is actually open today? Their website shows they have 4 slopes open & 2 lifts running.
I'm sure it will not be great but, it is more encouraging than what what I expected (closed for the season) from all the rumors.
It's a shame they can't get their act together or sell, that place could be a great destination for the region.

Technically, yes, you could say they are "open". Woods hole (bunny slope) and Whiteout (locals calling it brownout due to all the dirt/grime they "groomed" into it). So two trails and absolutely treacherous surface from inexperienced groomers using machines that were also used to mow the grass this fall.... save your money, dont enable the mismanagement at tslime Canaan Valley is much better, open from the top and conditions were quite good yesterday.

Lowendvillager

Booting up
Skier
Update on Tslime...as of this morning: still only have 2 trails. They attempted to push out lower heaven but it is still not open given many thin spots and has a lot of dirt/grime mixed into what little is there... also looks like they moved all the fan guns off of it so they aren't even trying to fill those thin spots in. The lodge facilities (cafe and bar) have been closed indefinitely by the health department for a slew of violations unrelated to the BWA that was, fortunately for local homeowners, lifted last friday. On a positive note, The Valley saw about 4 inches of fresh snow overnight.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
When I left the valley yesterday, the guns still were not firing on White Lightning. That’s usually the first trail on the upper mountain to get prepared. During my daily commutes to Canaan Valley, where I skied, I also did not see any evidence of snowmaking on Salamander, which the resort web site claims is being prepared. The resort also did not plow the main lot after the snowfall on the 24th and the potholes on the entry road are getting big enough to bust an axel.

Last edited:

Norsk

Booting up
Skier
Still no snowmaking on WL but apparently they did (somehow) open Salamander today. I have heard (not verified) that the snow cover on Sally is only half the trail width in some places. Snow on slope in front of the lodge looks VERY thin - almost no base.

Lowendvillager

Booting up
Skier
Can confirm, Salamander did open, very thin, very icy and with tons of rocks the whole way down. The "s" turn is particularly rocky and will soon be worse as a new rain system moves into place this evening and looks to drop a lot of rain thru tomorrow. Dont know why folks would bother spending $67 at this disgrace they call a "resort". Pic leading into S turn.

Attachments

• 20181227_165539.jpg
    20181227_165539.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 354

Kemperski

Getting on the lift
Skier
Perhaps if they presented it as gem mining and scattered bits of colored glass along the trail

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Perhaps if they presented it as gem mining and scattered bits of colored glass along the trail

Ooh, now you're talking! Get some folks dressed up like old-timey prospectors to add atmosphere. It could be the biggest thing to hit TL since the zipline.

Sponsor

Staff online