• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Good. I hope it goes well and they provide some good practices for next season. I just heard Snowbird will not be opening again this season for skiing. They had been in an extended pause mode.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
The industry will be carefully watching this.

In our town most every business is hyper aware of best practices. A few are very cavalier. Hopefully, if most do the right thing, we won’t have an outbreak, and subsequent shut downs in the fall.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Strange that over half of the parks are still closed but skiing can open. Like you can take the subway in most cities but cant go to church.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
As long as you have a reservation, you are welcome. But reservations are to be done day by day and only 24 hrs in advance. Which basically means locals.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
It sounds like they have not fixed Palmer and it is only going to be Miracle Mile and Stormin' Norman lifts. While any skiing, especially lift-served sounds better than what most of us have been doing, skiing less steep and mostly SW-facing runs at Timberline really only works well for people like @pchewn who live nearby and has a pass.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I made my reservation at 0900 just when the link opened up. I then tried to reserve for my grandsons, and by 9:02 AM all slots were filled up. I would have hoped the reservation system would allow a family to reserve together.

timberline.JPG

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I made my reservation at 0900 just when the link opened up. I then tried to reserve for my grandsons, and by 9:02 AM all slots were filled up. I would have hoped the reservation system would allow a family to reserve together.

View attachment 102336
I suppose you yourself can't reserve for multiple people at the same time?

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
It sounds like they have not fixed Palmer and it is only going to be Miracle Mile and Stormin' Norman lifts. While any skiing, especially lift-served sounds better than what most of us have been doing, skiing less steep and mostly SW-facing runs at Timberline really only works well for people like @pchewn who live nearby and has a pass.

It's actually called the Magic Mile lift. I've heard it called the Majestic Mile, Mystery Mile, but never the Miracle Mile.

When I told my son I got religion (see image below), he told me we had to ride the "Stormin' Mormon" lift

Church-of-Powder-Day-Saints.jpeg

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I am required to bring my reservation (printed out) to present to roadblock on the way to the ski area. I think I'll call this "Checkpoint Charlie" ....

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Timberline Lodge Ski Area 15MAY2020

Online reservation made 0900 14MAY2020 . All 250 reservations grabbed up in the 1st 3 minutes of the web site opening.

No snow at the bottom of Skibowl or at Summit ski area. On the drive up, there is a checkpoint to make sure you have a reservation and either a season pass or some sort of pre-paid ticket. That's at "Checkpoint Charlie" where the road splits into the 1-way loop to the lodge parking area. Parking well spread out, one car per cone. Using the whole lot for only 200 cars.

Social distancing signs prominently in place all over the ski hill. Masks and goggles required while in lift lines. Lift lines were 1-2 chairs at most and predominantly no wait at all. Stormin' Norman (Stormin' Mormon) and Magic Mile were the only lifts running. Just a few runs off of each lift were groomed. The ungroomed was not "nice" -- heavy wet snow that has re-frozen several times.

Very comfortable skiing, never got near anyone. Every chair operator wearing a mask. You can see the 4 faces of me (Pat) with/without goggles and mask.

Weather varied from light mist/rain to fog to sunshine. No wind. About 40 degrees. The snow was wet slush for the most part.

My body felt like the 1st day of skiing after not doing much for the past 2 months.

Here's a (poor) video of "Checkpoint Charlie" and the process to be checked in: Checkpoint-Charlie

0515201230a_HDR.jpg 0515201040a.jpg 0515201040.jpg 0515200946b.jpg 0515200930a.jpg 0515200929.jpg 0515200921.jpg 0515200920b.jpg 0515200920a.jpg 0515200920.jpg 0515200819.jpg 0515200814_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Timberline Lodge Ski Area 15MAY2020

Online reservation made 0900 14MAY2020 . All 250 reservations grabbed up in the 1st 3 minutes of the web site opening.

No snow at the bottom of Skibowl or at Summit ski area. On the drive up, there is a checkpoint to make sure you have a reservation and either a season pass or some sort of pre-paid ticket. That's at "Checkpoint Charlie" where the road splits into the 1-way loop to the lodge parking area. Parking well spread out, one car per cone. Using the whole lot for only 200 cars.

Social distancing signs prominently in place all over the ski hill. Masks and goggles required while in lift lines. Lift lines were 1-2 chairs at most and predominantly no wait at all. Stormin' Norman (Stormin' Mormon) and Magic Mile were the only lifts running. Just a few runs off of each lift were groomed. The ungroomed was not "nice" -- heavy wet snow that has re-frozen several times.

Very comfortable skiing, never got near anyone. Every chair operator wearing a mask. You can see the 4 faces of me (Pat) with/without goggles and mask.

Weather varied from light mist/rain to fog to sunshine. No wind. About 40 degrees. The snow was wet slush for the most part.

My body felt like the 1st day of skiing after not doing much for the past 2 months. View attachment 102406 View attachment 102407 View attachment 102408 View attachment 102409 View attachment 102410 View attachment 102411 View attachment 102412 View attachment 102413 View attachment 102414 View attachment 102415 View attachment 102416 View attachment 102417
I hope you had a great time! I would have... I'm jealous. :)

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I read for both Timberline and Bachelor, people are having trouble getting the website to work/respond, and by the time they do, the reservations are all gone.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I read for both Timberline and Bachelor, people are having trouble getting the website to work/respond, and by the time they do, the reservations are all gone.

The website asks for a lot of information, and if you don't provide all of it -- an error is generated. Then you have to correct the error and re-submit. My reservation went smoothly. I made one omission when I tried to reserve for my grandson and by the time I corrected and re-submitted there were no spots left.

Sponsor

Staff online