• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I made it up to Timberline for their last weekend of summer skiing. The conditions were great minus the smoke from nearby forest fires. It was near 70 degrees on the snowfield which is hot for up there but not for a guy from AZ. They really squeaked by this year, I don't think they would have another week or two of skiing with current temps.

IMG_4453.JPG

IMG_4438.JPG
IMG_4442.JPG

IMG_4446.JPG

IMG_4447.JPG

IMG_4466.JPG

Sunrise through smoke from Hood River
IMG_4498.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4439.JPG
    IMG_4439.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4448.JPG
    IMG_4448.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 1
TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Someone on another board said they are hoping to re-open in October! I guess I under estimated the snow conditions. Amazing how they preserve things up there, hopefully summer skiing remains viable for years to come.

MadPatSki

Putting on skis
Skier
I made it up to Timberline for their last weekend of summer skiing. The conditions were great minus the smoke from nearby forest fires. It was near 70 degrees on the snowfield which is hot for up there but not for a guy from AZ.

I was there also on Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

Coolest day and least smoky day was Wednesday. Saturday was not as bad for heat and smoke compared to the next two days. Sunday was by far the smokiest; they were talked of closing at noon at around 10am. I wanted take the long way back to Portland via Hood River and Interstate 84, but it was unfortunately closed due to another forest fire.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was there also on Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

Coolest day and least smoky day was Wednesday. Saturday was not as bad for heat and smoke compared to the next two days. Sunday was by far the smokiest; they were talked of closing at noon at around 10am. I wanted take the long way back to Portland via Hood River and Interstate 84, but it was unfortunately closed due to another forest fire.

Yeah we had non smoky weather Friday then it just seemed to fill in throughout the day Saturday. We escaped Hood River on Monday about two hours before they closed 84 and the fire was burning 1/4 mile off the road. I've been around forest fires all my life but have never seen smoke that intense. All because of an idiot with fireworks, sad.

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
We skied 8-23 to 8-30 and then were backpacking through Labor Day wknd. It was crazy smoky & downright apocalyptic (dark orange sun at sunrise) some days , we had a white rental car and some mornings it was covered with black ash. Now our entire apt smells like smoke even with multiple trips through the washing machine .... All that said, we had a blast skiing at Timberline this summer, it's kind of heaven for kids who love to ski to have lift-served, domestic skiing when they're out of school. For us it was just more laid back than the normal ski season, the kids made new friends & got to roam around Govy in the afternoon. I think their plan is just to close for one week in Sept. Not sure how that compares to other years ...

Sponsor