• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Roger

Booting up
Skier
Has anyone been there during the summer. I read its open all year and was curious of how the conditions were and the cost of staying at the resort and is there anything to do around town. Just read it was the hotel used in the Movie The Shining.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Has anyone been there during the summer. I read its open all year and was curious of how the conditions were and the cost of staying at the resort and is there anything to do around town. Just read it was the hotel used in the Movie The Shining.

The Timberline was used for the exterior shots of the overlook hotel in the shining. I've alway been fascinated with the place for partially this reason.

Following this thread as I've always
wanted to stay here.

:beercheer:

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I was there in the fall a long time ago with my parents. At the time not much else around but the lodge is really cool.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ve only skied it after a Hood summit (around 9 or 10 am), but it was prime conditions. Only groomers and park to offer, but both are meticulously maintained. A lot of my friends tend to make the trip from Seattle once during the summer as either an easy month of Turns All Year or a Timberline to Town run.

I’d definitely stay in Hood River over the resort or Government camp. There’s nothing else at the lodge/inn and until mid-July, it’s full of climbers who are up and going at all hours of the night. Hood River has a ton of breweries and some beaches. There’s also really great kiteboarding & windsurfing on the river and great mountain bike trails to turn it into a multi-sport trip.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I was there in the summer, ready to ski. It was a warm day with lots of sun. The snow was awful and we decided to do something else.

The lodge itself is not in town, but half way up the ski area on the flanks of Mt. Hood (you can drive to it, check Google Maps). The town below the ski area is Government Camp, which is two or three blocks long with a bunch of vacation homes, hotels, motels, restaurants, and a brewery.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Timberline is really cool. Rooms are rustic and authentic. Government camp is 10 minutes down the hill. It is packed with skiers from around the world in the summer. Camps rent lanes on the Palmer glacier and the public land is pretty great up by 8:30am as the racers warm up on it so as to keep their lanes nice. There is a big terrain Park in the lower elevation that gets rocking at around 11am when the racers are leaving.

The experience of skiing with such an international crowd in the summer is fun.

Tips:

Get out on the slopes by 7am. You'll want to leave about 11.
Take a camp, there are lots of them with different focuses, race, rec, moguls, etc. You can demo all the new race skis for free in Govy.
Leave a pack up top with water, lunch and cocktails before heading down. Sit on a rock with an amazing view.
Keep your pack zipper side down, the crows have learned how to open zippers and they will eat your food.
Avoid the nasty porta-john and hike up above the traverse on top. Just face the mountain.
Rafting and fishing on the Deschutes in the afternoon is fun.
Mountain biking is fun. Lift served at skibowl.
The huckleberry pie at the Huckleberry Inn (the Huck) has cornbread crust. Mmmm.
Spend some time in Hood River, great little town with world class wind surfing.
Spend some time in Portland. Avoid downtown and hit the close in East side neighborhoods. Check wweek.com for restaurant guide.
June is often rainy. Summer usually begins July 5 and the weather is amazing.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd opt for on night at least at the lodge .. as noted it's really only the lodge but it's history I wished I could of stayed least one night.

depends on your personal thoughts of such matters as for me it makes trips more memorable.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I went there for a few days in early June a few years ago.

The conditions were disappointing, really sloppy real quick, but it was June after all. I wasn't very impressed with the terrain that was open (Palmer, Magic Mile, Storming Norman), and tickets were $76 with no senior or other area discount.

Timberline Lodge is expensive and I would not call Governement Camp a town. I stayed in The Dalles about 60 miles away as Hood River, somewhat closer, was pretty booked up.

Now that I can say I have been there, don't think I will be going back.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
The Lodge ranks up there with any of the major CCC Lodges in the National Parks. Agree with Pete do a night there anyway.
Just watch out for strange looking guys with fire axes roaming the halls.

There is a whole sot to see and do in the area.

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've found the summer skiing to be not worth it except for the novelty of being able to say you did it. There is so much to do in the area though. Wineries in the valley. Waterfalls everywhere. Lakes and rivers from Placid to Class V to play in. Wind/kite surfing. Stay a night in the lodge, the atmosphere is worth it.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I skied 34 days at Timberline this season. I found the snow pretty distasteful in mid May, I can imagine it's even worse now. Icy in the early morning, a couple of nice runs as it slightly warms, and then mank and sticky for the rest of the day. Useful for race training,but not pleasant rec skiing. Come back in February.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied there on my birthday last year, it was fun to be skiing in mid-June. And it was fun to ski 2500’ vertical runs in mid-June, after they received about 4” of fresh snow, before it all turned to glue after noon.

The brunch in the lodge is amazing (I did that the year before, because there was freezing rain and they didn’t run the lifts that day) and you can hang out in the lodge for awhile.

Agree about Hood River, it’s right where the crest of the Cascades would be if the Columbia river wasn’t there. It’s warmer and sunnier than the west side, but still a lot more trees than further east, and with the breezes in the Gorge it seldom gets uncomfortably hot. Lots of restaurants, outdoors oriented shops and activities, a smattering of food truck culture (though nothing like in Portland), and a walkable downtown. There are a lot of orchards along the highway on the east side of Mt Hood.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
The Timberline was used for the exterior shots of the overlook hotel in the shining. I've alway been fascinated with the place for partially this reason.

Following this thread as I've always
wanted to stay here.

:beercheer:

And I believe the interior shots of THE SHINING were inspired by the reportedly haunted Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, CO.

Sponsor

Staff online