• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Tignes-Val d’Isère

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thank you, everyone!

I'm checking out Hôtel La Savoyarde and Hotel Altitude and both look very nice and frankly, 'reasonably' priced. Truthfully, was expecting much higher cost. Albeit they are very high for Alps standards when compared to Austria, but certainly cheaper than our stay in Zermatt.

Half board option is also cheaper, but we like the abilityt o try out different spots each night. I wil inquire to see if they would honor half board for a few nights only.

I replied earlier that we stayed at a hotel Kandahar. I was wrong, we actually stayed at La Savoyarde. It was excellent and I highly recommend them for atmosphere, location, food and friendliness.

skiace84

Putting on skis
Skier
The bus (free) is very efficient throughout Val D'Isere.
Yes, and at the end of the ski day it runs from Le Fornet on the east to La Daille on the west every 5 minutes. So no matter where you end your ski day it's easy to get back to your hotel if in Val d'Isere. If skiing Tignes, you can ride just one lift out of Val Claret or the Tignes base and ski to La Daille. By contrast, if you're staying in Tignes it can take a long time to get back there from the central or eastern parts of Val d'Isere.

Brits who were repeat visitors in my off-piste group said they preferred on-piste in Tignes but off-piste in Val d'Isere and I'm inclined to agree. I also liked the half board plan and La Savoyarde is one of the places I stayed.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You are aware that you cannot enter France now, and probably next winter either.

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am usually in VAL D at least one time a year, so i would try to help out as much as possible. First of all, the two areas are quite different in the way that Tignes has absolutely no charm, but you will get ski in/out just about anywhere. Val D has a lot more charm to it, but far from everything is ski in/out, but the bus system is very effective. For max skiing with no effort -> Tignes. For a real nice village feel -> Val D.
Ao for the skiing both areas have a lot to offer, and i don't think there is much between them, but the Grand Motte glacier in Tignes are an attraction to some (i only go there for the restaurant just beneath it), but it is more the attraction of the glacier than the actual skiing there. Skiing between the areas are super easy, so if you stay near the lifts you can anywhere fast.
I usually stay in Victoria Lodge in Val D, which isn't ski in/out, but a really nice place. As described above by Skiace84 eastern parts of Val D (Pisaillas glacier) to Tignes can take some time, and high season can be crowded (but probably not this season due to Covid 19).

The covid 19 protocol for Val D have just been released: https://www.valdisere.com/en/healthcare-protocol/
Feel free to ping me for any questions :)

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
You are aware that you cannot enter France now, and probably next winter either.

You can, but you need a negative PCR test result to board the flight departing the US. (I assume OP is in the US?)

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
You can, but you need a negative PCR test result to board the flight departing the US. (I assume OP is in the US?)

You need the negative PCR, but also need either a long stay visa or resident card. (long stay visa (6 month or 1 year) is acquired here in the US, and they aren't issuing them right now) Tourists and the normal 90 day tourist visa are currently not allowed entry. We hope that will change, but France is currently having about 10000 or more new COVID cases reported per day.

Hopefully you can get in.

Sponsor

Staff online