• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This was my second year at Copper's SIA demos. I have skied at Copper for ... a long, long time ... so I think my familiarity is an advantage as I know exactly where to go and how I want to ski when I am curious about the particular attributes of a ski. I definitely enjoyed this year's crop: manufacturers are focusing on lightening up gear while maintaining performance, and although it's almost tiresome to keep hearing it, they are actually doing it.

Atomic Backland 109

Dimensions: 134-109-124
Radius: 18m@182cm
Size tested: 182
Design: All New

Well, that was a treat! I’m not sure what I expected, but it was both quicker and more stable than anticipated. Turn initiation was less than effortless. If you are seeking a dedicated tree ski, look no further. Fun with a capital F.
  • Who is it for? Anyone needing a quick ride in powdery trees and bumps.
  • Who is it not for? Maybe not the best choice for big dudes at high speed in heavy snow.
  • Insider tip: Didn’t feel anywhere near 109 in moguls, so don’t discount it on that basis.
img_9045-jpg.4186

Elan Ripstick 96

Dimensions: 134-96-113
Radius: 18m@181cm
Size tested: 181

I was a bit surprised by the Ripstick. It was nice enough, quick and smooth on groomers, but once into any sort of actual snow, the tips were waaay too flappy and bouncy. So much so that I would actually like to spend more time with another one, because it really seemed … off. Skied very short.
  • Who is it for? Casual dude who values maneuverability.
  • Who is it not for? Anyone who skis 3D snow.
  • Insider tip: These Elans have a left and right ski, don’t forget!
img_9035-jpg.4185

Kästle MX84
Dimensions: 128-84-112
Radius: 16.3m@176cm
Size tested: 176
Kästle MX89
Dimensions: 129-89-113
Radius: 18m@180cm
Size tested: 180

I didn't get much time on these, just an end-of-day groomer, but these are the perfect end-of-day skis. They turn bumpy old irregular snow into silky-soft first-run Colorado corduroy. I own a 173 MX83, and they are very similar, but the 84s are a tiny bit easier to turn while retaining Kästle's bomber stability and responsiveness. Everything goes the same for the MX89 -- but it's a little longer and a little wider, you know.
  • Who is it for? When you can afford the very best ....
  • Who is it not for? Value shoppers, and lighter and/or slower off-piste skiers.
  • Insider tip: Don't sweat the length increases.

Line Supernatural 92

Dimensions: 131-92-118
Radius: 19.6m@179cm
Size tested: 179
Design: New Construction
Line Supernatural 100
Dimensions: 132-100-121
Radius: 21.3m@186cm
Size tested: 179
Design: NGT

I really liked both of these coming off Union Peak in cut-up snow. Very damp and solid, rolled over irregularities with impunity, made me want to go faster and faster. The tip was great, not too bouncy, didn’t give much feedback (the bad kind, I mean). Neither was super poppy in transition, but they were quick nonetheless, imparting a very satisfying, stable ride.
  • Who is it for? Skiers looking for stability at speed in an accessible package.
  • Who is it not for? Slowpokes.
  • Insider tip: Girly alert — I loved the graphics, which are modern but not copycat.
img_9032-jpg.4189

Nordica Santa Ana 93
Dimensions: 126-93-112
Radius: 16.5m@177cm
Size tested: 177

After having spent quite a bit of time on the 177 Santa Ana (100) as well as both the 177 and 185 Enforcers, I clicked into the 93, expecting more of the same. It wasn’t the best idea, as the narrower Santa Ana was a little twitchy. Dialing things back helped quite a bit, and I highly enjoyed the rest of my run at a more moderate pace. (It is possible that there was a bit of a tune issue, but I forgot to check when I returned it, sorry.) It skis short. Very short. The 100s are definitely more ski in every way, somehow, but the 93 retains the same light, lively, and obedient personality.
  • Who is it for? Almost everyone, especially if you like purple.
  • Who is it not for? Speed demons, and people who don't like purple.
  • Insider tip: Hard-charging ladies should step up to the Enforcer 93, or even just stick with the 100mm Santa Ana.
img_9023-jpg.4187

Nordica Enforcer 93

Dimensions: 126-93-112
Radius: 16.5m@177cm
Size tested: 185

Ahhh, that’s better. After the Santa Ana 93, I wanted to immediately compare the Enforcer 93, but unfortunately they didn’t have a 177 at the tent. I took the 185, and the added metal (and length) in this version made a very noticeable difference on the groomed, and I happily hauled ass without thinking twice — until I hauled into some surprise crud, where I briefly saw my life flash before my eyes. But that tip transitioned like a champ, and I hardly felt it. I took it through some light untracked and moderate moguls, as well, and it was super quick and fun in both, especially for a 185. Bonus: much-improved graphics over the 100 (IMO), with a cool and understated topo map.
  • Who is it for? Anyone who values versatility, or a one-ski quiver.
  • Who is it not for? Not sure, really; the performance window is enormous.
  • Insider tip: Choose size carefully; the 185 was barely too long for me, and I usually prefer something high 170s-180.
img_9025-jpg.4188

Salomon QST 99

Dimensions: 138-99-120
Radius: 19.4m@181cm

Carbon and flax, eh? Well, in a weird way, that’s exactly what it felt like. The QST 99 was very light and very smooth, surprisingly good in the crud for such a dainty-feeling ski. Sharp graphics, too, with the navy and orange.

• Who is it for? Bronco fans, especially those based in Colorado.
  • Who is it not for? I have a hard time believing it will work for heavier skiers, but that’s just a guess.
  • Insider tip: Get the orange bindings.

img_9033-jpg.4190

Völkl 90Eight

Dimensions: 133-98-116
Radius: 20m@177cm
Sizes tested: 177, 184

I kept hearing such good stuff about Völkl; having been on few current models, I made it a point to devote a morning at the tent. It was time well spent, and I felt that same kid-on-Christmas-morning stoke as when skiing my first Blizzards a few years ago. The 90Eight is a very worthy alternative to the current Ultimate One-Ski Quiver (Enforcer, natch), especially if you want a little wider turning radius.
  • Who is it for? All-mountain skiers who value carving chops.
  • Who is it not for? May still be too stiff for super-light skiers.
  • Insider tip: Size up if you ski more wide-open stuff than tight or bumpy spots, GS turns on the 184 were a hoot.

Völkl 100Eight

Dimensions: 141-108-124
Radius: 22m@181cm

I spent a couple runs on this one, including a trip from the top, so I managed open bowls, crud, steepish trees, and lotsa groomers. In fact, I skied it on my last run of two long days of testing, when I was pooped and out of energy — but I guess I wasn’t. I don’t think I stopped once, I just wanted to go and go and go. Put it on edge and it absolutely knifes through difficult snow; I am guessing this is where the 3D-Ridge construction comes into play, thin on the edges but thicker and stabilizing in the middle.
  • Who is it for? Me! Me-me-me-me-me …. (Yeah, there is already a pair sitting in my ski room.)
  • Who is it not for? Only absolutely most idiotic of idiots would not think this is the best ski ever.
  • Insider tip: Not sure how it carves so well without camber, but it does.
img_9042-jpg.4191

Völkl RTM 81

Dimensions: 128-81-109
Radius: 16.3m@170cm
Size tested: 170

Get on this and turn turn turn, with a ton of energy, a ton of grip, a ton of confidence. The RTM 81 loves the fall line, and it’s even fun in bumps. I didn’t find it all that easy to vary turn shape, though; maybe a few more runs on it would help.
  • Who is it for? Seems like a perfect Eastern tool, but would work on firm Western days, too.
  • Who is it not for? Straightliners.
  • Insider tip: Don’t tell anyone, but I actually started seeking out the hard, scraped-off patches on Main Vein.

About SBrown
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 140 lb
Years skiing: 40+
Days per year: 80ish, 90% in resort
Home mountains: Copper Mountain, Arapahoe Basin
Preferred terrain: Most anything as long as it's soft: powder, steep chalky technical stuff with lots of rocks to ski around, fresh corduroy on an empty run.
Skiing style: Whatever works for the ski+terrain.
Preferred ski characteristics: Not too short, not too soft, not too stiff. But I think I tend to adapt my skiing to whatever I'm on at the moment. Right now I'm loving my 173 Kästle FX85, 173 Kästle MX83, 180 Fischer Motive 95ti, and 177 Blizzard Dakota; soon to come, a 181 Völkl 100Eight.
Boots: Tecnica R9.8 110, with ZipFit Gara liners and Booster straps
About me: I have long felt more comfortable with skis on my feet than without. My parents fell for skiing as West Texas teenagers in the 1950s; thank goodness they managed to relocate appropriately and pass that love on to the rest of the family. I grew up skiing in Colorado; Copper's inaugural season was also mine, when I was 4. After college, I moved away and skied infrequently, but returned in 2000 and have skied more days each year since then.

Skiing changed for me when I first went out of state, to Jackson Hole in 2004. CO will always be home, but now I love to travel. Jackson and Altabird are my most frequent destinations, but I hope for return trips to Squaw, Alpine Meadows, Whistler, the Alps, and first visits to Montana and Vermont, among many others.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
  • Who is it for? Me! Me-me-me-me-me …. (Yeah, there is already a pair sitting in my ski room.)
Hazard of demoing ...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm circling back to read some of the reviews by you and SkiNurse. Its interesting that we are different sizes, ski different sizes, but like to ski with each other on a regular basis, yet some of the skis that wow'd us are really different. Some, however, are the same.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Now I want to get on the 100Eight...wish I had yesterday, they had them.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You write great reviews. Thank you. I appreciated that you reviewed skis under 100mm for us East Coast folks. I managed to win a pair of Volkl 100Eights earlier this year and they are awesome skis, as you've stated. However, as someone from the East whose teaching job makes it difficult to schedule western trips, (I picked the wrong profession)! I'm wondering if I should hold on to them or not.

I got to ski the 2016 K2 Fulluvit, which is an easier ski whose super-forgiving nature might very well help me improve greatly in off piste skiing. The K2's might be more appropriate for the East when we actually have snow.

TS
S

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You write great reviews. Thank you. I appreciated that you reviewed skis under 100mm for us East Coast folks. I managed to win a pair of Volkl 100Eights earlier this year and they are awesome skis, as you've stated. However, as someone from the East whose teaching job makes it difficult to schedule western trips, (I picked the wrong profession)! I'm wondering if I should hold on to them or not.

I got to ski the 2016 K2 Fulluvit, which is an easier ski whose super-forgiving nature might very well help me improve greatly in off piste skiing. The K2's might be more appropriate for the East when we actually have snow.

Thanks ... and Tricia's reviews are coming up soon, which will have a lot of sub-90mm skis in them. Here is a sneak preview of her FulLUVit thumbnail: "This is easily my favorite of the Luv skis, both as a daily driver and a one-ski quiver for an advanced woman skier. I’m not sure how K2 made a ski that is so easy to ski but still ready to be skied aggressively, but this is it. Sail Away Glades, moguls, broken crud, or groomers, every move on the FulLUVit was seamless."

Also, if you like the feel of the 100Eight, give the 90Eight a try.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice reviews ! I also like that you ski in the lengths I like.

Kastle -> would you say the new MX89 180 is easier to ski than the outgoing MX88 178 ?
I owned the MX88 178 on 2 occasions, and it was just a wee bit too much ski for me as a daily-driver.
( hence my luv of the FX94 176, which I consider a slightly smaller version of MX88 178, plus with subtle early rise )
The MX89 has a tighter radius than the MX88, and the new Hollowtech 2.0 should make it a bit quicker too than the MX88.

I really wanted to get on the 100Eight too this season, and grab one for a travel-ski ... maybe next season.

thanks ~ Andy

TS
S

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Kastle -> would you say the new MX89 180 is easier to ski than the outgoing MX88 178 ?
I owned the MX88 178 on 2 occasions, and it was just a wee bit too much ski for me as a daily-driver.
( hence my luv of the FX94 176, which I consider a slightly smaller version of MX88 178, plus with subtle early rise )
The MX89 has a tighter radius than the MX88, and the new Hollowtech 2.0 should make it a bit quicker too than the MX88.

I really wanted to get on the 100Eight too this season, and grab one for a travel-ski ... maybe next season.

thanks ~ Andy

I never skied the MX88, so I'm not much help there. Paging @FairToMiddlin, who used to own one (or maybe still does).... And @dawgcatching probably has something to say here, as well.

But ... the MX84 seemed a tad friendlier than my MX83, so extrapolating, I would say yes, but I'm not sure by how much.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks ... and Tricia's reviews are coming up soon, which will have a lot of sub-90mm skis in them. Here is a sneak preview of her FulLUVit thumbnail: "This is easily my favorite of the Luv skis, both as a daily driver and a one-ski quiver for an advanced woman skier. I’m not sure how K2 made a ski that is so easy to ski but still ready to be skied aggressively, but this is it. Sail Away Glades, moguls, broken crud, or groomers, every move on the FulLUVit was seamless."

Also, if you like the feel of the 100Eight, give the 90Eight a try.

Yay! I think Tricia and I have similar tastes in skis, so this is good news about the Fulluvit!
I might give the 90Eight a try if I get a chance. I ski the 2016 Kenja, so the 90Eight may be too much overlap. The softer feel of the K2 will provide some variation in ski characteristics that I enjoy in a small quiver.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yay! I think Tricia and I have similar tastes in skis, so this is good news about the Fulluvit!
I might give the 90Eight a try if I get a chance. I ski the 2016 Kenja, so the 90Eight may be too much overlap. The softer feel of the K2 will provide some variation in ski characteristics that I enjoy in a small quiver.
I'm also intrigued by the FulLuvit. I skied my Sambas today, and needless to say, they'll be up for sale. I also would like a totally different feeling ski than the Kenjas to compliment them. It's interesting how the 90Eights, which are a burly ski, were easy as pie for me to ski, but the Sambas and I just do NOT get along.

I could be very happy on a pair of Santa Anas, too. But the FulLuvit's would be really fun to try.

And wouldn't you know, someone has a pair for sale on KSL but they are 177, too long.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm also intrigued by the FulLuvit. I skied my Sambas today, and needless to say, they'll be up for sale. I also would like a totally different feeling ski than the Kenjas to compliment them. It's interesting how the 90Eights, which are a burly ski, were easy as pie for me to ski, but the Sambas and I just do NOT get along.

I could be very happy on a pair of Santa Anas, too. But the FulLuvit's would be really fun to try.

And wouldn't you know, someone has a pair for sale on KSL but they are 177, too long.
This years and next years Fulluvit are two very different skis.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This years and next years Fulluvit are two very different skis.
They changed them after one season? K2 needs to make up its mind, it seems they change their skis every year. I wish I had gotten out on them yesterday, as K2 was at the demo day.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They changed them after one season? K2 needs to make up its mind, it seems they change their skis every year. I wish I had gotten out on them yesterday, as K2 was at the demo day.
This year Fulluvit was a placeholder until they could get the new women's version of the Pinnacle series short enough. This years was off of the old Annex platform, next years off of the Pinnacle.

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester

thanks ~ Andy

Ultimately, no.

The MX89 doesn't really seem to ask less of us, but it certainly gives us more from our inputs. I know that sounds like the same thing, sorry. So what to do?

I have been on both first and second gen FX94 (I keep a first gen pair with Dynafits for earning turns). While I wouldn't consider either 'smaller' MXs, I take your meaning. If I were you, and I had your credit card to go along with being you, I would go with the Stockli Stormrider 88. Definitely easier to ski than the MX; I called the SR88 a 'day lengthening ski' (or words to that effect), in that it performs very well, but doesn't beat you up. Remember way back when when I muddied the waters by saying the new MX doesn't really seem to ask less of us? The SR asks less of us, in a good way.

If I were still you, but was saddled with my own credit card, I would get the Head Monster 88. I wouldn't be all that surprised if Kastle, in the process of deciding how to ever-so-delicately reboot the MX line for next year, rode the Monster 88 last year, and thought "Mmmm, yes, this, but for hundreds more." It has the tightened sidecut that the 89 went with (beating Kastle to the punch), lots of reassuring power, but it is easier to ski than the old and new MX. I tested it at SIA last year, and then again later in the year (on the very pair that SBrown ended up getting for her hubby; that's a nice lady), and decided I would take it over my MX88s...

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This year Fulluvit was a placeholder until they could get the new women's version of the Pinnacle series short enough. This years was off of the old Annex platform, next years off of the Pinnacle.

Can you explain the differences? Or should I wait for Tricia to elaborate?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Can you explain the differences? Or should I wait for Tricia to elaborate?
Completely different animals. This years Fulluvit is a connection to K2's past, an older design kind of a cross between the Supermodels and the *Back collection. The new ones, have K2 Conic construction with much more gradual early rise and a balanced flex. They have more taper at the extemities and a significanly more playful

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FairToMiddlin: Thanks for the feedback on the MX and SR.
One morning this season, I happened to rent the Laser AX and SR88 to see what all the Stockli fuss was about.
I was really impressed with the AX, but only "so-so" the SR. The SR88 "didn't impress" ONLY because I already had a very competent ski in the FX94 -> my reference point was already high. I am naturally FX94-biased as I have been skiing it 2+ years, so am conditioned to what it delivers. I don't like the topsheet durability on the SR either, ( nor the red graphics, but to each their own ).

Now the Monster 88 ..... I have had that in my hands many times at the shops this season.
As everything is on sale right now, maybe I take a flyer on it. It is certainly a cheaper experiment than a new Kastle or Stockli :D

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I liked the 2016 Fulluvit, but I REALLY liked the 2017 Fulluvit.
It is more responsive, floaty, surfy and .......... in the words of K2, #seriousfun

When I was skiing them at Copper, @Ron was behind me and said, "Wow, you're skiing really well on those. They must be fun."
As I went through the line (Alluvit, Fulluvit, Luvboat), all I could thing was, "these are fun!"

@vanhoskier if you're thinking about the differences, I suggest you try the Pinnacle from this year to get an idea what the new Luv will feel like.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I liked the 2016 Fulluvit, but I REALLY liked the 2017 Fulluvit.
It is more responsive, floaty, surfy and .......... in the words of K2, #seriousfun

When I was skiing them at Copper, @Ron was behind me and said, "Wow, you're skiing really well on those. They must be fun."
As I went through the line (Alluvit, Fulluvit, Luvboat), all I could thing was, "these are fun!"

@vanhoskier if you're thinking about the differences, I suggest you try the Pinnacle from this year to get an idea what the new Luv will feel like.
Would it be worth hunting down a shorter Pinnacle, then?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@AmyPJ, for you? No. They didn't make them short enough for you and me, but Vanhoeskier is tall like @SBrown, so she's more likely to find one.

Question. The demo you did a few days ago, was it 2016 or 2017 skis?

Another thought, why don't you come to Arapahoe Basin for Mother's Day. We'll see what we can do to get some of those K2's to test. I'm betting Clem can help us out.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January