• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
After feeling like a kid in a candy shop at Mt. Rose, I now feel like a kid trying to explain to his parents "why" I liked the specific candies that I liked. Did they look cool? Was it texture? Flavor only? Sour? Sweet? "I don't know ... I just liked this and didn't like that." So I will try my best to put in words how I felt about Tuesday's "candy store," but first let me give you the baseline on me so you know where I'm coming from.

I'm 34 years old, 6'1" 205 lb; I have played sports my whole life and am still athletic. I have also been a professional ballroom dancer for 15 years, which includes competing and instructing. I tried downhill skiing for the first time in December 2013 and became addicted immediately. I got 18 days in that season, 27 the following season, and 22 so far this season. I have been taking both group and private lessons throughout that time. At this point I'm considered (from what I'm told) an upper intermediate to moderately advanced. I'm very aware that my ski IQ is well below the average guy or gal on here reviewing skis, so these reviews are from the eyes of an avid, yet intermediate skier.

Head Supershape Rally
Dimensions: 136-77-115
Radius: 14.7m@177cm
Size tested: 177
Design: All New

I own last year's version of this ski. The new model is nice, but I felt it was a bit stiffer than last year's. It was nice when I was really pushing it but not as smooth as the 2016 when you want to just cruise. I feel like this ski has a bit more purpose now, and if you want to be aggressive you will get along nicely with it.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a consistent, solid carver.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking to cruise around with little effort.

Kästle FX95 HP
Dimensions: 126-95-115
Radius: 20m@181cm
Length Tested: 181
Design: Carryover

This one felt like it skied shorter than the Nordica. It was "nice." I liked it in bumps and on groomers, and I can't think of anything bad to say about it, but it just isn't in my top three.
  • Who is it for? Name droppers or those who want quality and are willing to pay for it.
  • Who is it not for? The budget conscious.

Line Sick Day 95
Dimensions: 130-95-115
Radius: 18.2m@179cm
Size tested: 179
Design: NGT

This was probably the closest to my top three without making it. It did what I asked of it and felt decent in the bumps, but it wasn't going to give me any help. It was a little cumbersome in comparison to some others.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a fun ski that won't wimp out when it's pushed.
  • Who is it not for? Laid-back, chill skiers hoping for a free ride.

Nordica Enforcer 93

Dimensions: 124-93-114
Radius: 18.5m@185cm
Size tested: 185

The Enforcer 93 was a fun ski for me. For me, it had a bigger feel to it and I felt like I would need to get used to it. Multiple times I felt on the verge of out of control, but I never lost it. They were capable of apologizing for me instead of punishing me when I wasn't in complete control.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a versatile ski that they can travel with and be happy in most any condition.
  • Who is it not for? Someone lacking confidence; the Enforcer 93 will drive you if you aren't driving it.
Stöckli Stormrider 95
Dimensions: 131-95-120
Radius: 19.2m@183cm
Size tested: 183

Wow. This was a lot of ski to me. I don't mean that it was a bad ski in any way, just that for my level, it took a lot of work. I joked that after two runs on it, I was exhausted. When I was pushing this ski it would respond, but I almost felt like it expected me to do more -- taunting me to become a better skier before I dare get on it again.
  • Who is it for? Strong skiers who know what they want out of a ski and how to get it.
  • Who is it not for? Groomer cruisers.

Now on to my least favorite of the day. First I want to say that I really learned that there aren't really a lot of bad skis out there, but there are wrong skis. As I was riding the lift up with these skis on, the guy sitting next to me told me he had just demoed them and loved them. "Awesome," he said about them. They were wrong for me, though.

Blizzard Quattro 8.4Ti
Dimensions: 129-84-113
Radius: 16m@174cm
Size tested: 174

I liked the look of them, but for me there wasn't much else positive. It was a very tense ride from top to bottom. I felt like I did a lot of skidding and bouncing. When I tried to push it hard, I never felt like I could trust the edges, like it was constantly throwing me in the back seat. Obviously the guy who had been on them right before me thought it was a great ski, but for me it was definitely the wrong ski.
  • Who is it for? Someone who can be in charge of the ski at all times and is technically strong.
  • Who is it not for? The Quattro 8.4 is not for an inexperienced skier.

The following were my favorites of the day, starting with third best:

K2 Pinnacle 93
Dimensions: 128-88-110
Radius: 15m@184cm
Size tested: 177

This was a fun ski. It was the most playful: light, easy, and nimble. It felt easy to control in the moguls but at higher speeds, it wasn't the most stable feeling. I could easily enjoy a day on these.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a solid ski without much weight to it.
  • Who is it not for? Speed junkies.

Atomic Vantage X 83 CTi
Dimensions: 125-83-111
Radius: 16m@175cm
Size tested: 175

This ski was a breeze. Comfortable. It would do what I asked when I wanted to push it, but was also friendly when I wanted to chill out a bit. I would consider making room in my quiver for it, and would be happy on it a lot of the time.
  • Who is it for? Someone who wants a solid ski that plays nice and doesn't really talk back.
  • Who is it not for? I can't think of anyone right off.

Head Monster 88
Dimensions:133-88-114
Radius: 17.4m@177cm
Size Tested: 177
Design: NGT

Why was this my Number 1? Because I felt like a rock star on it! It felt so solid and stable the entire time. It would carve, it would cruise. It would take bumps or crud quietly and without a complaint. We became instant friends when, at one point, I was going a touch too fast due to my confidence on them and I hit a rut right before a lip. The rut knocked me into the back seat, and then I hit the lip and caught some air. The tails hit, the tips slapped down, and I was a rock star again. A big smile followed, and that's why the Monster 88 is my favorite ski from that day's candy store.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for an all-around Mercedes sedan but wants the AMG version -- at less than Mercedes pricing.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for an SUV.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for joining us.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, from a fellow inter-vanced skier (as I like to refer to myself.) Good reviews!
We need female reviewers of the same skill set, me thinks :D

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting reviews! I have to say that your love for the Monster 88 struck me; I have understood it to be a pretty strong ski, demanding a pretty strong pilot, and your other reviews seemed to favor softer, more easy-going skis.

Maybe those Monsters aren't as demanding as I've been led to believe.
Or...maybe you're more able than you think. :)

Whichever, it's good to get some input from someone who is not already a highly developed expert! Thanks.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I don't find the M88 hugely demanding, and the reviewer's notes are pretty spot on. The 98 and 108 are a bit stiffer in the ends and 'feel' longer.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks, from a fellow inter-vanced skier (as I like to refer to myself.) Good reviews!
There is always Snowbasin next year. :beercheer:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Perhaps you're raising your hand to be our "inter-advance" skier who will test at Snowbasin next year?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
FWIW, @Stephen is only 3 years old as a skier but he has advanced pretty quickly.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Perhaps you're raising your hand to be our "inter-advance" skier who will test at Snowbasin next year?
Well, sure! My only issue is if I get on a ski that I don't get along with, I tend to hurry to the bottom to get rid of them ASAP. :rolleyes:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, sure! My only issue is if I get on a ski that I don't get along with, I tend to hurry to the bottom to get rid of them ASAP. :rolleyes:
Well then, I guess you'd have to slow it down and figure out why you don't get along with it. ;)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well then, I guess you'd have to slow it down and figure out why you don't get along with it. ;)
Well, I do slow down, and crawl my way to the bottom. To be fair, the two skis I took out this year (besides the Kenja) were in challenging conditions. The Lumen in a heavy, HEAVY snow day, tossed me around like a rag doll, didn't help that they were too short.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Many skis will ski poorly if they're too short for your ability level/mass/ etc...

177 Head Rev 85... 'Fun' in that 'too light, too unstable, and ok so long as you go slow' sort of way. 184, Magic.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, I do slow down, and crawl my way to the bottom. To be fair, the two skis I took out this year (besides the Kenja) were in challenging conditions. The Lumen in a heavy, HEAVY snow day, tossed me around like a rag doll, didn't help that they were too short.
That happens.
You've learned a lot in the past few years about your own balance, ability and ski technology. I like the direction you're going.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Many skis will ski poorly if they're too short for your ability level/mass/ etc...

177 Head Rev 85... 'Fun' in that 'too light, too unstable, and ok so long as you go slow' sort of way. 184, Magic.
I tended to like the narrower skis shorter.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I tended to like the narrower skis shorter.
I don't disagree, and generally ski things as short as I reasonably am able. Carvers, 170-177 and I'm in.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Kästle FX95 HP
Dimensions: 126-95-115
Radius: 20m@181cm
Length Tested: 181

This one felt like it skied shorter than the Nordica. It was "nice." I liked it in bumps and on groomers, and I can't think of anything bad to say about it, but it just isn't in my top three.
  • Who is it for? Name droppers or those who want quality and are willing to pay for it.
  • Who is it not for? The budget conscious.

did you try the non-metal version?

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Incredible reviews, @Stephen. Having skied with you, I noticed that they're spot on....you consistently nailed it on these. Nice work, and awesome reviews all around.

PS: The reasons you didn't like the Stormrider 95 that much is the reason I love it so much. :)

Sponsor

Staff online