• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This the first of many overviews of the upcoming 2017 ski offerings. These purpose-built designs want to be on firm snow and skied primarily on edge. After you buy one of these skis, and before it even touches the snow, give it some proper attention in the form of an aggressive tune. By this I mean a 0.5° to 0.7° edge bevel and a 3° side bevel, angles that will let you maximize their performance.
IMG_8278.jpg
As we get further into the spring testing season, I will be adding the skis I was unable to get on in the first go-round. You might also notice that quite a few skis were tested in multiple sizes; doing this enables me to discern what turn shape works better with which skis and for which skiers. If you are not sure what you want or how the ski will react, please feel free to ask questions, and I or some of our other testers will help you decide which ski and which size fit your needs.

"All New" means the ski is an all-new design and construction. "NGT" refers to New Graphics Technology, ie, only the graphics have changed. "New Construction" means the ski has the same name and similar graphics but an updated construction or shape.

Blizzard Quattro 7.2 and RS
Dimensions: 120-72-104
Radius: 16m@174cm
Sizes tested: 174, 181
Design: All New

Like many brands, Blizzard is focusing on the snow we actually ski versus the snow magazines make us dream about. Blizzard has a long history of great frontside skis going back to the Supersonics. They bring up to date an interpretation of the IQ and binding system. The 7.2 and RS share construction and bindings, but the RS has a more advanced Suspension, a difference that can be felt.
  • Who are they for? Speedmongers. These are medium- to long-radius skis that can be worked into many turn shapes.
  • Who are they not for? Technically weak skiers. Such serious skis have little sense of humor.
  • Insider tip: Don’t be afraid of downsizing; the powerful skis can be skied shorter if you want a tighter turn.

Blossom White Out

Dimensions: 131-77-111
Radius: 15m@170cm
Sizes tested: 170, 182
Design: New Construction
Blossom Wind Shear
Dimensions: 124-77-110
Radius: 15.5m@176cm
Sizes tested: 170, 180

I have a long history with skis that have come out of the Blossom (old Spalding) factory in Italy. These are some of the finest-crafted skis on the market today, regardless of price point. Their magnificent feel can be described in just one word: supple. As you can expect from the dimensions, the White Out has a bit more turn in than the Wind Shear. The mold of the White Out is indeed the same as the old Hart Pulse and Beat and even the Vist Free Three, which shows that an exceptional design can be timeless. I was told that the construction has been updated a bit, though. We will be expanding on these skis soon; to say they impressed our testers would be a gross understatement.
  • Who are they for? Someone who appreciates the best quality, no matter the price.
  • Who are they not for? Name droppers. Only one, maybe two out of 100 skiers has even heard of Blossom.
  • Insider tip: If these come in at the price point I am expecting, there will be no better value out there. Plus you can buy them flat!
full

Blossom Great Shape

Dimensions: 121-71-106
Radius: 16m@176cm
Size tested: 176
Design: NGT

This was billed as a cheater GS ski, but it is so much more than that. I have said this only once before about a ski: It slows down time. The Great Shape is the type of ski that villages will write songs about. Such smoothness is rarely seen in a ski without a comma in its price tag.
  • Who is it for? This is a sports car -- think of a red one, maybe with a prancing horse on the side, but with Audi pricing.
  • Who is it not for? While some are calling the 71 a cheater GS, there are real race skis that are better
  • Insider tip: Buy flat and add a race plate, maybe a Marker Piston Plate and an Xcell 16.0.

Dynastar Speed Zone 12Ti

Dimensions: 121-72-106
Radius: 15m@174cm
Size tested: 174

Dynastar has reinvented the Course line and named it the Speed Zone. No, they did not just slap new colors on old skis; instead, Dynastar brought the proprietary construction from its race skis to a consumer level. Powerdrive -- or what Dynastar internally calls “velvet speed” -- is a combination of Visco and Titanal vertically laminated between the ABS sidewalls and the core, giving the Speed Zone a very supple feel on the snow.
  • Who is it for? Hard-snow fanatics who like to go fast.
  • Who is it not for? Slowpokes: this Dynastar wants to run.
  • Insider tip: You want overkill? Look at the Speed Zone 14Ti, which is the same ski but with the R21 race plate. Combine it with the SPX 15 Rockerflex race binding. Say goodbye to your pass.
full

Head iSpeed

Dimensions: 124-68-104
Radius: 14m@170cm
Size tested: 170
Head iRally
Dimensions: 135-76-114
Radius: 13.7m@170cm
Sizes tested: 170, 177

Head took the very successful iSpeed and iRally and gave them more direction, more purpose. The addition of Graphene, a new profile, and a new tip shape has resulted in a more technical feel for these Supershapes.
  • Who are they for? Technical skiers. If you measure your fun with each turn, these are your sticks.
  • Who are they not for? Those who like making figure 11s.
  • Insider tip: Instructors, these make most any turn shape at any speed. Great teaching skis.
full

K2 SuperCharger and K2 Charger

Dimensions: 127-76-107
Radius: 17m@175cm
Size tested: 175

These two skis were some of the surprises of the show for me. I went into the K2 tent hoping for the best, and boy did K2 deliver. The SuperCharger (with metal) and Charger (without) go back to K2’s heritage of making great frontside skis -- think of them as the modern-day 710 and 610. The Speed Charger (not tested) would be the 810, more GS in feel.
  • Who are they for? Carvaholics, but with more of a medium-radius turn.
  • Who are they not for? Eurosnobs. These are Corvettes: red white and blue, apple pie, baseball, and all that.
  • Insider tip: You can buy these flat. Even though the Xcell is a great binding, you can do better with a piston plate and Xcell, or your race plate of choice, if absolute speed is your absolute goal.

Völkl Code Speedwall L UVO

Dimensions: 122-76-105
Radius: 18.6m@178cm
Size tested: 178
Design: NGT

The Codes have had a soft spot in my heart since they were introduced about 4 years ago. These are just fun skis. What I don’t understand is, a few reps say none of their shops can sell them, yet I always see them out on the hill: to quote Jerry Seinfeld, "What’s up with that?” What I like about them is their versatility; they are comfortable making any number of turn shapes. The Codes are not the old Tigersharks; they are Völkls for the modern world, with a big performance window. People need to go to their local dealers and ask for these skis or they will disappear from the U.S. market, and that would be a shame.
  • Who is it for? Someone who wants a narrow carving ski but does not want to have to beg, borrow, and steal for every turn.
  • Who is it not for? I will let you know if I come up with something.
  • Insider tip: I see a lot of seniors skiing these as hard-snow skis; we know seniors can be frugal, therefore these are great deals.

Some skis I was unable to get on but hope to add as the spring rolls along: Kästle RX (NGT), Kästle MX74 (All New), Stöckli SX and AX (NGT with a new topskin material).

I will add stock images as they become available in the fall.

Last edited by a moderator:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Let the previews/reviews begin!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
One of the questions I get when on the Super Bros is where were they made. I say by Blossom and get blank stares everytime.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks goodness--the previews of next year's skis have now officially started!

How are Blossoms distributed? I am guessing you are suggesting the price point will be close to a typical high end ski rather than Kastle/Stockli?

Any thoughts on a Great Shape vs Stockli Laser AX?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks goodness--the previews of next year's skis have now officially started!

How are Blossoms distributed? I am guessing you are suggesting the price point will be close to a typical high end ski rather than Kastle/Stockli?

Any thoughts on a Great Shape vs Stockli Laser AX?
Blossom will have their own distributorship and you will be seeing them in select shops next season. Prices are yet to be determined and pricing should be below what the Kastle/Stocklis and yes closer to the typical high end offerings.

As far as comparing the Great Shapes to the Laser AX...Do you want the blonde super model or the redhead?

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
As far as comparing the Great Shapes to the Laser AX...Do you want the blonde super model or the redhead?

Uhh, both?

Thanks for your reply.

Any idea on the differences between the Volkl Code Speewall L and the one currently on blowout price at skiessentials.com (the Volkl Code UVO Red)?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Any idea on the differences between the Volkl Code Speewall L and the one currently on blowout price at skiessentials.com (the Volkl Code UVO Red)?

The '17 has a beefier core along with the Marker X-Cell binding system.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Awesome stuff. Thanks!

Nothing on the new GTs?

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The existing Supershapes are such brilliant skis I've been skeptical the 2017-s could be an improvement. But I keep hearing they are.

I've been a narrow proponent and a narrow acquirer so I have mixed about the new narrow models. I already have more than I can ski regularly and love all of them. I have no more room.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are those dimensions correct for the Head iRally?

It's been a long time since I've seen, or at least noticed, a ski with as big of tip/waist/tail deltas as my loved, but exhausted Fire Arrow 80 Pros.

Skimottaret

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
great early reviews, thanks for posting.. I am keen on the Dynastar Speed Zone 14Ti with the race plate and better binders. They look new but similar spec to the old Course Pros which I found a touch soft. I am 97kg and 6'4" and the 182 looks an ideal all rounder technical front side ski.

Any thoughts between the 14Ti and and Code S? Our ski school is looking to switch from Head to either Dynastar or Volkl and I hate system bindings so would be interested to hear if the Speed zone range is a flat ski or if it has integrated rail binders. The stock bindings SPX 12 are rubbish (broke two pairs) and the all metal 15's are the only choice for a heavier skier.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
great early reviews, thanks for posting.. I am keen on the Dynastar Speed Zone 14Ti with the race plate and better binders. They look new but similar spec to the old Course Pros which I found a touch soft. I am 97kg and 6'4" and the 182 looks an ideal all rounder technical front side ski.

Any thoughts between the 14Ti and and Code S? Our ski school is looking to switch from Head to either Dynastar or Volkl and I hate system bindings so would be interested to hear if the Speed zone range is a flat ski or if it has integrated rail binders. The stock bindings SPX 12 are rubbish (broke two pairs) and the all metal 15's are the only choice for a heavier skier.
I think you are answering your own questions. Speed Zone 14 with the 15 binder. The Code S is a nice ski, the Speed Zone is stronger. I really wish that Head (and others) would offer some of their hard snow skis with their real race plate, R21 for Dynastar/Rossi, Head 2 part plate for Head/Fischer/Elan, Marker Piston Plate for Volkl/Nordica/Blizzard. Or at least just sell the ski flat and we can put whatever plate on it we want.

Skimottaret

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Sorry it wasn't clear to me if the 12Ti or 14Ti is a flat ski, thanks for clarifying... When you say the Dynastar is "stronger" that the Code S do you mean stiffer or better edge hold or ??... also about 11 secs in on this video by Dynastar UK there is a Zone 16 (plated), a Zone 14 Pro (plated) and a 12Ti Is the 14 Pro the one you refer to?

also any news/dimensions on zone 16?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Speed Zone 16Ti
Dims: 121/67/105
Construction: Race dept wood core, 2 layers of Titanal

Speed Zone 14Ti
Dims: 121/72/106
Construction: Active Wood Core, Poplar/Microcell, 1 layer of Titanal

Neither of these skis were available for testing.

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier

Blossom White Out

Dimensions: 131-77-111
Radius: 15m@170cm
Sizes tested: 170, 182
Blossom Wind Shear
Dimensions: 124-77-110
Radius: 15.5m@176cm
Sizes tested: 170, 180

I have a long history with skis that have come out of the Blossom (old Spalding) factory in Italy. These are some of the finest-crafted skis on the market today, regardless of price point. Their magnificent feel can be described in just one word: supple. As you can expect from the dimensions, the White Out has a bit more turn in than the Wind Shear. The mold of the White Out is indeed the same as the old Hart Pulse and Beat and even the Vist Free Three, which shows that an exceptional design can be timeless. I was told that the construction has been updated a bit, though. We will be expanding on these skis soon; to say they impressed our testers would be a gross understatement.
  • Who are they for? Someone who appreciates the best quality, no matter the price.
  • Who are they not for? Name droppers. Only one, maybe two out of 100 skiers has even heard of Blossom.
  • Insider tip: If these come in at the price point I am expecting, there will be no better value out there. Plus you can buy them flat![/QUOTE
Great information, as always! 2 quick things about the White Out and Wind Shear. First, as an owner of the Pulse, it has the same shape/dimensions as the Wind Shear, not the White Out. White Out has wider tip ... Probably just a typo above.

Second, I would love to get clarification on whether these are the same construction as the 2016 models or not. I have read reviews that seemed to contradict on this point ... just want to make sure I get the right story.

Thanks again for the great reviews!

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Hi, Phil!

Been reading the glowing reviews of the Blossom Windshear and Whiteout. Half the reviewers say the Windshear is basically the old Pulse; the other half say the Whiteout is the old Pulse. Can you provide a definitive answer on this?

Also, most reviews say these are brand new skis for 2016-2017, but I've seen reviews for both as far back as 2013. Can you explain?

Thanks!
Mike