• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Most manufacturers have increased their attention on other segments, but the 90-100mm class is still a bread-and-butter category. It is business as usual here, with the cream still rising to the top: Tecnica Group cousins Bonafide and Enforcer are the benchmark skis that others are trying to knock off the pedestal. Armada is getting some attention, and Völkl is taking a whole new approach to ski design by expanding its very good 3D.Ridge construction across the collections.

"All New" means the ski is an all-new design and construction. "NGT" refers to New Graphics Technology, ie, only the graphics have changed. "New Construction" means the ski has the same name and similar graphics but an updated construction or shape. "Carrover" means it is exactly the same.

Armada ARV 96
Dimensions: 125-96-117
Radius: 19m@ 77cm
Sizes tested: 177, 184
Design: All New

Armada is growing up, and I don’t think enough people are noticing. The ARV 96 is a perfect example: it is an evolution of the ski that started it all from Armada, playful and jibby with only 8 mm of taper so it is almost as comfortable skiing switch as it is skiing regular.
  • Who it is for? Still one of the youngest demographics for Armada.
  • Who is it not for? Frontside-only guys; look to the Invictus 99Ti instead.
  • Insider tip: Armada hasn’t forgotten where it came from, these are for their core skiers.

Armada Invictus 99Ti
Dimensions: 133-98-123
Radius: 20.5m@179cm
Size tested: 179

Armada hasn’t failed to disappoint me with the Invictus series: first there was the 108Ti, then the 89Ti, and now the 99Ti. When will people wake up and realize Armada is designing some of the best skis on the market?
  • Who it is for? Anyone. This ski just rocks, it's one of the most playful 98-100s out there, yet still handles firm conditions.
  • Who is it not for? Skiers stuck in the 00s.
  • Insider tip: The 179 was perfect, sizing is on.
Blizzard Bonafide
Dimensions: 133-98-118
Radius: 21m@180cm
Size tested: 180
Design: Carryover

Blizzard didn’t break what wasn’t broken, all the way down to the graphics. The 2017 Bonafide is a complete carryover. For the past 5 years, the Bonafide has been my reference ski for this category and testing conditions. I always start the day on it when I am testing skis in this category.
  • Who it is for? The Bone is on the power side of the scale.
  • Who is it not for? Lighter finesse skiers can get bucked off this bull.
  • Insider tip: If you want a little more power, consider a 3° side bevel.
DPS Cassiar F95
Dimensions: 131-95-114
Radius: 18m@178cm
Size tested: 178

See the Long-Term Test thread.
  • Who it is for? Finesse skiers, and skiers in the Mountain Time Zone who ski lighter snow. Technical skiers who will trust the ski.
  • Who is it not for? Bigger guys can overpower it.
  • Insider tip: The F95 knows how to make a turn, there's no need to force it.
K2 Pinnacle 95
Dimensions: 132-95-115
Radius: 17m@184cm
Size tested: 184
Design: Carryover

Again, as I said last year, this ski is just stupid fun. I really like the direction K2 has taken of late with their playful skis; the Pinnacle 95 is at the forefront here. While there might be better skis for firm conditions in this category, the Pinnacle never neglects to put a smile on my face.
  • Who it is for? These love soft snow and hanging out in the trees.
  • Who is it not for? Ice wizards; if most of your skiing is on hard snow, there are better options.
  • Insider tip: Size up, they ski short.

Nordica Enforcer 93
Dimensions: 126-93-112
Radius: 16.5m@177cm
Sizes tested: 177, 185
Nordica Enforcer 100
Dimensions: 133-100-121
Radius: 18.5m@185cm
Sizes tested: 177, 185
Design: NGT

There's not much I can say about these two skis that I haven’t said in the past year, LTT: Enforcer 100, LTT: Enforcer 93. These are the reference for anyone looking for versatility in this segment.
  • Who it is for? East Coasters, the 93; Westerners, the 100.
  • Who is it not for? People looking for a deal; these will be selling at near MAP for a while.
  • Insider tip: Get next year's ski now.
Rossignol Sky HD
Dimensions: 128-98-118
Radius: 17m@180cm
Sizes tested: 188
Design: New Construction

This is the newest evoluotion of the Sin 7 with a new name and a new purpose, which is to have more power. Rossignol upgraded the core and added a carbon Alloy Matrix, which integrates carbon fibers and basalt into the construction. Did make a difference? Yes, the newly named Sky 7 is a bit stronger, but powerful skiers should still look elsewhere.
  • Who it is for? Lighter finesse skiers looking for a playful ski that turns very tight.
  • Who is it not for? Normal-sized to bigger skiers who charge.
  • Insider tip: Even the little guys need to size up.
Salomon QST 99
Dimensions: 138-99-120
Radius: 19.4m@181cm
Size tested: 181

Welcome back to the game, Mr. Salomon. Yes, you lost your way over the past half-decade; the Sentinel didn’t sell; the BBR 10.0, well, we won’t get into that; the Quest was fall-off-the-bone easy; and the Q-Lab was too much for most skiers. Now, we have the QST 99, which is the best ski for the majority of skiers that you have come out with in way too long. Easy, fun, and surfy all still with power to let 'em rip.
  • Who it is for? A lot of skiers, especially those who want a surfy ski that will not beat them up.
  • Who is it not for? Precision skiers might want a bit more bite.
  • Insider tip: Nailed the sizing.
Völkl 90Eight
Dimensions: 133-98-113
Radius: 20.1m@177cm
Sizes tested: 177, 184
Design: NGT

I have taken every chance to commend Völkl on its new direction, and I want it to keep going. While the 90Eight is an NGT design, there were none to ski at last year's testing so I was excited to test them this year after skiing its big-brother 100Eight. It lived up to my expectations: it is a light, lively ski that still has a backbone. This is the ski we expected the Kabookie to be.
  • Who it is for? Lighter strong skiers who want a Völkl but want camber.
  • Who is it not for? 11/10th skiers, the Mantra is still for you.
  • Insider tip: There is a top end, but the rest of the attributes are great.

Carryover or skis I didn’t get a chance to get on: Atomic Vantage 90 CTi and 100 CTi, Dynastar Cham 97 2.0, Head Monster 98, Kästle FX95 and FX95 HP, Stöckli SR95, Völkl Mantra.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Is 'fall off the bone easy' a good thing or a bad thing? It sounds kind of good, but it looks like you placed that evaluation of the Q's in a litany of past problems with Salomon.

I keep eyeing the Q90 as the east coast easy driver on softer days…and maybe the Q98 as a travel stick….and they both appeal to my wallet.

I have had such a good season on the surprising Salomon X Drive 80 FS that I was leaning towards becoming a fanboy.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
No Kendo?
I ask because I am trying to gauge how many other folks might enjoy these skis as much as I do (well, the Kenjas--same ski but for women.) I mean, am I the lone weirdo who just thinks these things rock, or have the changes that were made to them this season made them that much friendlier to ski? I have yet to remotely feel like they are too much ski for me, and I can't say that about the Sambas which handed my ass to me on a pretty frequent basis. But I hesitate to recommend them to true intermediates and especially lighter skiers because I just don't know how they compare to what else is out there.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@AmyPJ, no Kendo. I did ski it last year and it is just been updated with NGT. With that said, it is good, real good, much better than the previous generation which I was not a fan of at all. Just because you like them, it does not mean you are a weirdo, those traits are mutually exclusive.

Comish

Putting on skis
Skier
Does anyone make a solid, damp, stable ski anymore? Ala original Legend Pro, 3 or so year ago Stockli Stormrider 95, etc. Bonefide sounds closest, but everything else sounds surfy, playful, easy.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Does anyone make a solid, damp, stable ski anymore? Ala original Legend Pro, 3 or so year ago Stockli Stormrider 95, etc. Bonefide sounds closest, but everything else sounds surfy, playful, easy.
MX89, Monster 88/98, old MX98....plenty of them

Qpud

Booting up
Skier
Line Supernatural might fit that bill. It has some playful nuances, but is pretty damp.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ, no Kendo. I did ski it last year and it is just been updated with NGT. With that said, it is good, real good, much better than the previous generation which I was not a fan of at all. Just because you like them, it does not mean you are a weirdo, those traits are mutually exclusive.
No, I'm pretty sure I'm a weirdo, and I embrace it! :roflmao:

On that note, @Comish , you might try the Kendo. It is solid, stable and damp (well, the Kenja is, same ski.) Yet has a lot of energy if you give it that energy.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

Head Monster series, and the Kastle MX's.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
*Is having a badger-flash:
Monster Monster
Monster Monster
Monster Monster
Monster Monster
Kastle Kastle
Monster Monster
Monster Monster
Monster Monster
Monster Monster
Oh no! A Line A Line!
It's a Liine!
Monster Monster
Monster Monster
Monster Monster
Monster Monster

Apollak19

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Does anyone know of a place in Park City or Tahoe where you can demo 16/17 skis now? I was almost ready to pull the trigger on Rossi Sin 7's until I heard about the additions for next year.

A bit about me...
I'm a snowboarder turning back to skiing. Got about 10-15 days on skis this year and feel pretty good about my progression so far. I enjoy pretty much the whole mountain except for bumps. I would not say I am much of a speed demon but I let loose a couple runs a day. Most of the time I'm in trees and/or cruising. I am mostly at Northstar and enjoy all parts of the mountain (Pluto, Backside and Lookout), I'm also at Krikwood, Heavenly and Homewood quite a bit. Let me know if you have any questions about my skiing/riding and if you think I should hold off for the Sky's over the Sins.

Thanks!

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Had a chance to test the Enforcer Red/100. I see why people like it. I could carve on groomers, crud and go through fresh 6" powder. My main ski is older Salomon Custom. This was a very nice upgrade. I wish I had more time on it in the bumps/moguls but I had switched to the Fat-ypus M5. The fat-ypus was fun ski in the moguls and powder.

So many skis, so little time.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, it a custom scrambler with Solomon bindings, TI 912 .

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester

I agree with the other replies you got for this question (good question, by the way). I would add the Rossi E100, and the RMU SCRM, a real Ti-laden ski from an indie, nice to see. Both have the 'solid, damp, stable' you asked about, neither are very surfy, but yet do have some ease and playfulness to them. Any of the skis mentioned to you so far can be considered serious sticks.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would throw the Renoun 98 in that group. That ski blew me away
You are right that will be a great crud buster

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This segment will still be highly contested thsi coming season. What are some of your thoughts?

Sponsor

Staff online