• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

michael

Skier
@neonorchid - i had the same experience. both my pinnacles and blackeyes were downright scary on ice. last february PCMR didn't fare well due to the weather and there were a few times i was sideways, dug in as much as i could and still accelerating.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
^ I demoed Pinnacle 95 last season. Loved how incredibly effortless they were to link short radius turns, only, and I repeat only, they went sideways when I hit frozen ice'ish hard pack. Just couldn't get the edges to bite! Not enough of an all-around ski for the East. Great playful ski for soft snow, would've liked to have tried them in non-icy bumps and woods.
Iirc, Pinnacle 88 is stiffer with less rise which I'd think (hope), should help with EC conditions. Am curious if 88 will still be easy playful like the Pinnacle 95.
You are correct with the difference between the 88 and 95. The 88, because it was designed to be a bit more hard snow oriented, it has a longer wheelbase and, like you said a bit less rise. The 95 shares more in common with the 105..now, if the 95 was closer to the 88 in design..that would be perfect. Hmmm. I didn't just toss out an easter egg..or did I?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'll probably have to wait until January to demo anything...
Update: local hill, Elk Mt is not doing Demo's this year so early Demos are probably not going to happen.

PP's re: to above post -
By that time we will be looking at 17-18 models and we will be back at square one. Vicious cycle for sure.
...so true and I still can't decide, currently, it's between the Kastle FX 95 (non-metal), or Volkl 90eight. Found decent deals on both with the Kastle at twice the cost of last years graphics Volkl 90eight which is trending at a little less than $350.

Again, I'm having a difficult time deciding and could use some help with which of the above two if any to get?

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Update: local hill, Elk Mt is not doing Demo's this year so early Demos are probably not going to happen.

...so true and I still can't decide, currently, it's between the Kastle FX 95 (non-metal), or Volkl 90eight. Found decent deals on both with the Kastle at twice the cost of last years graphics Volkl 90eight which is trending at a little less than $350.

Again, I'm having a difficult time deciding and could use some help with which of the above two if any to get?

That stinks, the Janauary Demo ar Elk was one of my favorites. Between the 90Eight and the FX95? Please do me a favor, refresh my memory to what you want the ski to do?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

You can buy the MCP for 2018 with that $350.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
- more of a 1QS to split between Vermont (around a natural snow event) and trips West. I'm 6'6.5" 138lbs and am looking at the 170cm 90eight or 173cm FX95 ski.

I prefer to ski soft fresh snow covered bumps and trees but it's not always an option and more often the lesser bonus time to groomers, hardpack chop and crud that'll get me there and back to the lift. The ski would have to hold a edge and carve hard pack more than I'd like so It should be capable there too. Something a demo of the Pinnacle 95 (177cm) revealed to be the K2's achilles heel.

It's been said that the Volkl 90eight and non-metal Kastle FX95 are essentially the same ski and I can't go wrong with either. On paper, I like that the Volkl 90eight is lighter in weight than the FX95, but I also like that the FX95 is 3cm narrower at the waist so may be "somewhat" quicker edge to edge, again on paper, I know there is more to it then that.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's been said that the Volkl 90eight and non-metal Kastle FX95 are essentially the same ski and I can't go wrong with either. On paper, I like that the Volkl 90eight is lighter in weight than the FX95, but I also like that the FX95 is 3cm narrower at the waist so may be "somewhat" quicker edge to edge, again on paper, I know there is more to it then that.

Even with your light weight, I think you could get a lot ouf ot the 90Eight in a 177 because of your height. I think it is the shape of the Volkl that makes it quxker edge to edge. If you can't get the Volkl in a 177, go with the FX in the 173.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm 6'6.5" 138lbs and am looking at the 170cm 90eight or 173cm FX95 ski.

@Philpug and others: I have skied with neon. He is not 6' 6.5". If he is, I am. That was a typo. He might be 5' 6.5". That would be more in the ballpark.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug and others: I have skied with neon. He is not 6' 6.5". If he is, I am. That was a typo. He might be 5' 6.5". That would be more in the ballpark.
LOL. Thanks. 170 then is fine.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Opps, typo, I am 5'6.5" thx ... it is sounding like the Volkl 90eight will be the better choice of the two for me.
Was also looking at but eliminated the Fischer Ranger 98 after PP said something to the extent that it gets poppy and tossed around in chop/crud. I'm guessing the downside of Ranger 98 backcountry'ish ski weight.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
You are correct with the difference between the 88 and 95. The 88, because it was designed to be a bit more hard snow oriented, it has a longer wheelbase and, like you said a bit less rise. The 95 shares more in common with the 105..now, if the 95 was closer to the 88 in design..that would be perfect. Hmmm. I didn't just toss out an easter egg..or did I?

Sounds like you have friends in the biz., ogsmile

yizzung

Booting up
Skier
Most manufacturers have increased their attention on other segments, but the 90-100mm class is still a bread-and-butter category. It is business as usual here, with the cream still rising to the top: Tecnica Group cousins Bonafide and Enforcer are the benchmark skis that others are trying to knock off the pedestal. Armada is getting some attention, and Völkl is taking a whole new approach to ski design by expanding its very good 3D.Ridge construction across the collections ... Carryover or skis I didn’t get a chance to get on: Atomic Vantage 90 CTi and 100 CTi, Dynastar Cham 97 2.0, Head Monster 98, Kästle FX95 and FX95 HP, Stöckli SR95, Völkl Mantra.

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Would love advice on a ski to replace my daily driver (2014 Blizzard Bonafide 173). That ski has been the lone representative of my entire "quiver" for the last four seasons. I finally added a powder ski this year (DPS Wailer 112RP2 Pure3 184), thanks to finally having some decent powder to ski in Tahoe... Not surprisingly, adding a second ski to the rotation has enabled me to really discover what I like about each and hopefully better inform my next purchase.

Here's me: 5'10", 175 lbs., 44 y/o, fit... Ski about ~25 days a year, mostly at Squaw, but take an annual week-long trip to somewhere every year (e.g. Aspen, Vail, Jackson Hole, Deer Valley, Chamonix, Zermatt) just to mix it up. I'm way over on the finesse end of the scale. Love bumps, trees, steeps, quick turns and occasional jumps. Could care less about charging or making big arcs on groomers. I started as a snowboarder ~25 years ago and switched to skis ~15 years ago. Consistently favorite runs at Squaw would be Hidden Bowl @ Granite Chief and West Face on KT.

I've fought my way through trees and bumps over the last four years, thinking that most of that slog was attributable to technique and/or fatigue. Then I got the Wailers and suddenly realized that (in good snow) I can more or less pick a line and go. You won't confuse me for Jonny Mosely in the bumps, but the lights are coming on for me on these DPS skis like never before. Now I'm looking at my Bonafides in a whole new light.

I still like the Bonafides on some days because they clearly do a few things much better than the DPS skis under certain conditions. Once all the good snow is skied out, the "slarving" of the Wailers can be a bit nerve-racking. (Newsflash: stay off powder skis when there's no more powder.) Off-piste in crud, the Wailers tend to bounce around all over the place, so the plank-like feel of the Bonafides is welcome. But also I'm now seeing how much work I have to put into the Bonafides by comparison (even when the snow conditions are better suited to the Bonafides) to ski the way that I like to ski.

I think what I've learned is that for my style of skiing, I really value a more playful ski and don't care too much about speed limits. In fact, the high speed limit of the Bonafide means that I only occasionally tap into it's full potential. Given that lengthy overview, what would you recommend I try out as a replacement/update to my Tahoe daily driver? I like the 90-100 range but would consider moving to the skinnier side of that now that my other ski is a 112. I've had a lot of fun on demo Kastles from previous seasons and am intrigued by the FX95 without metal. Have never skied an Armada or a Stockli but both have interesting options in this category. Alternatively, given how much fun I'm having on the Wailer, would the Cassiar F95 be a good compliment?

Will be up in Tahoe again for 5-6 days, starting next week, so any thoughts on a demo plan would be appreciated. Thanks!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Would love advice on a ski to replace my daily driver (2014 Blizzard Bonafide 173). That ski has been the lone representative of my entire "quiver" for the last four seasons. I finally added a powder ski this year (DPS Wailer 112RP2 Pure3 184), thanks to finally having some decent powder to ski in Tahoe... Not surprisingly, adding a second ski to the rotation has enabled me to really discover what I like about each and hopefully better inform my next purchase.

Here's me: 5'10", 175 lbs., 44 y/o, fit... Ski about ~25 days a year, mostly at Squaw, but take an annual week-long trip to somewhere every year (e.g. Aspen, Vail, Jackson Hole, Deer Valley, Chamonix, Zermatt) just to mix it up. I'm way over on the finesse end of the scale. Love bumps, trees, steeps, quick turns and occasional jumps. Could care less about charging or making big arcs on groomers. I started as a snowboarder ~25 years ago and switched to skis ~15 years ago. Consistently favorite runs at Squaw would be Hidden Bowl @ Granite Chief and West Face on KT.

I've fought my way through trees and bumps over the last four years, thinking that most of that slog was attributable to technique and/or fatigue. Then I got the Wailers and suddenly realized that (in good snow) I can more or less pick a line and go. You won't confuse me for Jonny Mosely in the bumps, but the lights are coming on for me on these DPS skis like never before. Now I'm looking at my Bonafides in a whole new light.

I still like the Bonafides on some days because they clearly do a few things much better than the DPS skis under certain conditions. Once all the good snow is skied out, the "slarving" of the Wailers can be a bit nerve-racking. (Newsflash: stay off powder skis when there's no more powder.) Off-piste in crud, the Wailers tend to bounce around all over the place, so the plank-like feel of the Bonafides is welcome. But also I'm now seeing how much work I have to put into the Bonafides by comparison (even when the snow conditions are better suited to the Bonafides) to ski the way that I like to ski.

I think what I've learned is that for my style of skiing, I really value a more playful ski and don't care too much about speed limits. In fact, the high speed limit of the Bonafide means that I only occasionally tap into it's full potential. Given that lengthy overview, what would you recommend I try out as a replacement/update to my Tahoe daily driver? I like the 90-100 range but would consider moving to the skinnier side of that now that my other ski is a 112. I've had a lot of fun on demo Kastles from previous seasons and am intrigued by the FX95 without metal. Have never skied an Armada or a Stockli but both have interesting options in this category. Alternatively, given how much fun I'm having on the Wailer, would the Cassiar F95 be a good compliment?

Will be up in Tahoe again for 5-6 days, starting next week, so any thoughts on a demo plan would be appreciated. Thanks!
I have some skis you can get on, even the all new Bonafide (180cm), if you want to do a day at Northstar, we can set up a day. Oh, and welcome to the site and jumping in.

yizzung

Booting up
Skier
I have some skis you can get on, even the all new Bonafide (180cm), if you want to do a day at Northstar, we can set up a day. Oh, and welcome to the site and jumping in.

I'm blacked out at Squaw on Sat 2/18, so will almost certainly be at NS on that day... :)

yizzung

Booting up
Skier
Just wanted to follow up and say that I did not forget about this fine offer. I was indeed at Northstar on Saturday but the snow was too good to get me off of my DPS skis... :) Good chance that I'll be up again this weekend, although it appears as though we may be blanketed in more fresh powder this week.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just wanted to follow up and say that I did not forget about this fine offer. I was indeed at Northstar on Saturday but the snow was too good to get me off of my DPS skis... :) Good chance that I'll be up again this weekend, although it appears as though we may be blanketed in more fresh powder this week.
I am not sure where I will be skiing this weekend.