• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review Thumbnail Reviews: 2016 SIA Demo Ramblings

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Last year I focused on skis with 95-100mm waists, looking for a one-ski quiver replacement for my now departed Blizzard The Ones (let's all have a moment of silence and bow our heads out of respect, please:D). I found plenty that I liked and fully intended to buy the Nordica Enforcer, Kästle FX95, or Stöckli Stormrider 95 at the beginning of this season.

Well, life happened (aka my two ski racer girls needed gear), and while shopping for them last summer, I ran into a screaming deal on Kästle MX83s and Blizzard Peacemakers ... so I decided to go with a two-ski quiver and bought both. I had never skied either of those skis before; as it turned out, I loved the Kästles but was not a big fan of the Peacemakers, so I sold them to someone whose style they better fit.

I'm not the world's most self-aware skier when it comes to technique. I know when I'm being aggressive and when I'm not (which is a much bigger chunk of my snow time than I'd like to admit:nono:). Put another way, I'm not sure sometimes how technically I get a ski to do what it does, but I am aware of how my intent or aggressiveness affects what a ski does. I hadn't been on anything under 95 in almost 6 years, but the new MX convinced me to try skis outside my comfort zone, so this year I tried them from 69 on up to 107. My impressions are below.

Armada Invictus 99Ti

Dimensions: 133-98-123
Radius: 20.5m@179cm
Size tested: 179
Design: All New

The Invictus 99 reminded me a little of the Bonafide (a ski I never warmed to, by the way). It was powerful and rewarded being driven hard, but it was too much work for me in the bumps, which we have aplenty at Copper. I noticed in Phil’s review that he thought this ski was very playful, but that is not an adjective I would associate with it. He’s about 25 lb bigger than me, and we were both on the 179, so that may explain our different perceptions.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a big-mountain charger in a 100 waist ski.
  • Who is it not for? Smaller finesse skiers looking for a playful all-mountain ski.

Blizzard Quattro RS
Dimensions: 116-69-100
Radius: 16m@174cm
Sizes tested: 174

The Quattro RS was the next to last ski that I got on over the two days. I hadn’t been on a ski less than 83 (and only a couple under 90) underfoot in almost 6 years before this test. At 69 mm wide, they looked like toothpicks on my feet. My racer kids get on skis like this every day … now I understand why. I was fast approaching worn out and the frontside conditions were not perfect, with pushed-around piles of fresh snow scattered all over. But what rockets! The Blizzards did not care at all about the piles of snow (or anything else in their way) as long as you had them on edge. I probably made more turns on one run than I would normally make in any given morning of skiing. Just tip it and stay on the balls of your feet and it does the rest. I was at the bottom much faster than I would have believed, and with a big crap-eating grin on my face. I may have to look into getting a pair of little toothpicks like these.
  • Who is it for? The skier seeking a top-of-the-line unapologetic frontside rocket sled.
  • Who is it not for? Looking for an off-piste ski? Try elsewhere.

DPS Wailer F106
Dimensions: 142-106-125
Radius: 18m@185
Size tested: 178

I took the F106 through my favorite hidden glade at Copper, where it performed admirably in the powder and crud. It didn't really wow me, but it was fun as long as the snow was soft and deep. Something seemed to be lacking but I couldn’t put my finger on it. I came down onto the flat green run-out and cut into my usual section of intermediate bumps. The DPS was good in the soft bumps, relatively soft and forgiving (for a One Oh Something), but I could not find an effective way to get it to do what I wanted on the low-angle groomer. I just couldn’t get it to hook up in the shovel and come around. It could have been the tune, but I doubt it. I would like a slightly stiffer ski in general, but after some thought I would like to try this ski again with the mount point back 1 or 2 cm behind the recommended line.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a forgiving One Oh Something soft snow ski on the finesse side of the scale.
  • Who is it not for? Skiers who want a hard-charging ski that is also fun on the groomers.

Elan Ripstick 96
Dimensions: 134-96-113
Radius: 18m@181cm
Length tested: 181

I had a blast on this ski off the steep and bumps off Sierra lift. It was also fun on the groomer when I came down the long green/blue run-out to the bottom despite the tip flap and a weird greasy feeling (even though it was locked onto the turns). I’d like to try this ski again with the binding moved back 1 cm, but overall I thought it was a blast.
  • Who is it for? Someone desiring a nimble mid-90s all-mountain ski that is fun, fun, fun.
  • Who is it not for? The big hard-charging brigade; anyone wanting a firm, more traditional ride on piste.

Head Monster 88

Dimensions: 133-88-114
Radius: 17.4m@177cm
Size tested: 177
Design: NGT

I liked this ski better than the Kästle MX89, especially at its price point. I felt it was a little better off piste, more stable and floaty. It rewards an aggressive driver but does not punish you if you make a mistake or get behind it. It's definitely not what I would consider a friendly, playful modern ski but it is playful in a serious way -- if that makes any sense.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a great all-mountain ski in places where it isn't always deep (ie, most places), especially if you prefer a more traditionally cambered ski but with just a touch of rocker to make it easier and less likely to hook up when you don't want it to.
  • Who is it not for? Skiers looking for a lot of rocker and that associated slippery, playful feeling.

K2 Pinnacle 88

Dimensions: 128-88-110
Radius: 15m@184cm
Size tested: 184

The Pinnacle 88 was the perfect bump ski. It was super poppy and just fun to ride. It was a little on the light and twitchy side for an all-mountain ski, but I could spend all day skiing it in the frontside bumps at ABasin with a big silly stupid grin on my face.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a super lively and forgiving 90ish ski that excels in moguls. It’s not damp, and that was a good thing.
  • Who is it not for? It is not a hard-charging, high-speed slayer of open terrain.

Kästle FX85 HP
Dimensions: 119-85-108
Radius: 19m@181cm
Size tested: 181
Design: Carryover
Kästle FX95 HP
Dimensions: 126-95-115
Radius: 20m@181cm

Both of these ski are absolutely fantastic! The 85 is quicker edge to edge, and the 95 is a little more stable and has a touch more float. Flick these around in the bumps and they just respond. The front is easy to engage or disengage just about anywhere. Just get the ski a little out from under you and it will hold whatever line you want it to -- and then changing that shape just seems effortless. I can’t say enough about these skis. If I were an Eastern skier looking for the one-ski quiver, the 85 would be it. As CO local, I’d choose the 95 version (and I did a week after the test) for a little more float and stability.
  • Who is it for? The Eastern (85) or Western (95) skier looking for one ski to take anywhere, anytime and be prepared for any conditions.
  • Who is it not for? I can’t think of anyone; I’m sure some might not like the ski but more likely won’t like the cost of admission.

Kästle MX84
Dimensions: 128-84-112
Radius: 16.3m@176cm
Size tested: 176
Kästle MX89
Dimensions: 129-89-113
Radius: 18m@180cm
Size tested: 180

These were the first two skis I got on at the test due the 84 being the closest ski to my current daily driver (MX83 in 173). I love the new sizing, as the 173 is little short for me while the 183 is a little long. The first thing I noticed on the 3 inches of fresh on top of nice corduroy was that Kästle has taken an already great ski and made it more forgiving and easier to initiate a turn. It has tighter turn radius than the outgoing MX83 (16 vs 18) but it is much easier to change the turn shape. It is still a high-performance ski and that powerful tail is still there, but it will be useable by a wider range of skiers.

With a straighter sidecut, the MX89 is a little wider and more stable so a little less fun on the groomers but it still has that slight rocker (really a flattening of the tip camber) that allows an easier turn initiation. Of the two I’d probably pick the 89 as a daily driver and the 84 as complement to a mid-90s daily driver.
  • Who is it for? Someone wanting a frontside-biased all-mountain charging ski with a mostly traditional camber profile and that supple Kästle feel.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for more playfulness, or just not wanting to spend Kästle money.

Line Supernatural 92
Dimensions: 131-92-118
Radius: 19.6m@179cm
Design: New Construction
Line Supernatural 100
Dimensions: 132-100-121
Radius: 21.3m@186cm

I skied the 1st-generation Prophet 100 as my everyday ski for about 4 years, and the Supernatural took me back to those days -- but with more power both on and off piste. It has a more traditional twin tip shape (read: less rocker) than most of the 90-100 skis I tried. It was strong, stable, and a good ride but didn’t blow my skirt up. The 100 didn’t seem to add any significant float in the powder (although the snow wasn’t very deep, so it was hard to tell), therefore I would probably go for the 92.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for an all-mountain twin that rides much more like a traditional ski than most of the other 90-something offerings.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for something like the Soul 7 -- I’m not knocking the Soul 7, just saying this ski doesn’t ski like that

Nordica Enforcer 93

Dimensions: 126-93-112
Radius: 16.5m@177cm
Size tested: 177
Nordica Enforcer 100
Dimensions: 133-100-121
Radius: 18.5m@185cm
Sizes tested: 177, 185

Both of these skis were super fun in every condition. They were possibly the most versatile skis in the test along with the Monster 88 and the two Kästle FXs. The Enforcer is a do-everything ride that would make the perfect Western daily driver. You have heard all this before in the last year by almost everyone and every publication, but it’s true. The new 93 to me was just a slightly quicker version of the 100 with marginally less float and stability but more ease in tight bumps. If the Stöckli SR95 and Kästle FX95 didn’t exist, or I wasn’t willing to spend silly amounts of money on them, this ski would be my daily driver now (probably in the 93 version).
  • Who is it for? The person looking for that elusive one ski to rule them all.
  • Who is it not for? Anyone who prefers a traditional frontside groomer toothpick.

RMU La Cabra
Dimensions: 109-120-90-110 (4-pt design)
Radius: 22.2m@175cm
Size tested: 175

I went by the RMU tent to try the Apostle, but it was out so I ended up on the La Cabra. It was fun, lively, and a blast in the bumps. It is a touring-focused four-point design with a topsheet that is a work of art. The downside for inbounds skiing was its lightness, which led to it getting knocked around in the crud a little. If you stayed on top of it and kept it on edge, it was fine but if you tried bash through stuff, it wanted to wander a little.
  • Who is it for? Those looking for a gorgeous versatile soft-snow touring ski with some inbounds chops.
  • Who is it not for? Powerful inbounds-only daily skiing.

Salomon QST 99
Dimensions: 138-99-120
Radius: 19.4m@181cm

I love skis in the 95-100 range and feel most comfortable daily on this width of ski. I spent a few days last year on the Salomon Rocker2 100 and found it to be a blast in the soft but not so much on the front side; it had a little too much tail rocker for me. Enter the new QST 99 with a short section of metal underfoot and mix of flax and carbon elsewhere and a flatter tail. I took it on a couple of runs down the Sierra/Union bowl area through some powder and a lot of tracked crud. It really came alive at speed and just ate right through the crud in its path without hooking at all. I found myself hucking off small jumps in places I would normally hesitate due to the tracked-out crud below. No problem! It was fun in the bumps: not quite as nimble as I would prefer, but certainly something I could get used to. The only real downside was tip flap on the groomers: it didn’t seem to bother the tracking of the ski, and it is relatively common in many rockered skis, but it bothers me and I can’t get used to it. The tip flap is not a problem in the soft and deep, but I wouldn’t want to deal with it on the harder snow that even we in the West have to ski on most days.
  • Who is it for? Perfect for the skier looking for a playful Western all-mountain soft-snow-biased ski that has enough heft to charge the hill and not fold completely; still won’t punish the aspiring skier who may not push it as hard.
  • Who is it not for? Skiers who can’t stand tip flap.

Stöckli Laser AX

Dimensions: 123-78-109
Radius: 14.8m@175cm
Size tested: 175

Of all the frontside skis I tried, the Laser AX was probably my favorite. Turn initiation was super easy, and if you pressured the big toe of the outside ski, it would lock onto the snow like it was on a rail. I really liked the ability to release that locked-in turn shape and drift the ski just by a subtle release of the big toe. Getting back on the rail was as easy as applying that toe pressure again; it hooked back up so smoothly. In the boot-deep powder and crud up off Sierra lift, I found it to be fun and invigorating but, as you would expect for a 78mm ski with a 15m turn radius, it required constant attention. It is a serious frontside ski with a bit of forgiveness thrown in. I found it very similar to the new MX84, but I liked the Laser better for some reason. It could be part of my quiver but would likely get little use as I am rarely skiing groomers except as a way to and from off-piste terrain.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a very strong frontside ski with some off-piste versatility but no width for float.
  • Who is it not for? Western all-mountain skiers.

Stockli Stormrider 107
Dimensions: 135-107-128
Radius: 19.2m@183cm
Size tested: 183

I have owned a couple of skis over 100 (a 2010-era Elan 1010 and a Blizzard Peacemaker) and have generally had next to no use for them. I skied the Elans for several years on big pow days, and although they loved deep crud, they were just too much work on anything but the softest bumps and no fun on the groomers. I sold the Peacemakers after only two days on them as they had too much tail rocker for my taste.

I got on the Stormrider and headed straight for my favorite powder stash in the Enchanted Forest. The ski and my stash did not fail to deliver. I found the glade full of almost untouched boot-deep snow of a slightly creamy consistency. After that, I hit a long green run-out and a cat road to a short section of intermediate bumps on I-Dropper. All I can say about this ski is, Wow! I have no idea how Stöckli produces skis that have such a huge performance and forgiveness envelope. This is the first 100+ ski that I would at least consider as a daily driver. Enough float for any powder day in Colorado, sublimely easy in the bumps, and a worthy carver on the groomers as well. I may have to add this ski as my double-digit pow day ski and for cat/heli trips ... now off to rob a bank to pay for it. Again just wow … get on one if you can.
  • Who is it for? The person who is looking for a 100+ ski that floats and carves and is unbelievably forgiving in every situation -- and who also has a thick wallet and doesn’t mind paying for the best.
  • Who is it not for? Anyone wanting a true front-side-biased ski or looking to save money.

About @UGASkiDawg
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 165 lb
Years skiing: 27
Days per year: 50-60
Home mountains: Copper Mountain and Arapahoe Basin
Preferred terrain: Anything with soft snow
Skiing style: Finesse
Preferred ski characteristics: Of the skis I've owned, my favorites have been Line Prophet 100s and Blizzard The Ones, and my least favorite was the Rossignol B3. I just rebuilt my 2015-16 quiver to include Kästle MX83s and FX95 HPs.
Boots: Lange RS 130 with Booster straps
About me: I am the father of two USSA Alpine racers, ages 13 and 11, both of whom are in their sixth year of racing. My nom de guerre is UGASkiDawg due to my passion for all things Georgia football and skiing. As a family, we travel around the state for races, and I have skied at every area in Colorado except Howelsen Hill and Granby Ranch (fka SolVista). My favorite places to ski are Snowwater Heli Skiing, Alta, Telluride, Crested Butte, and Aspen Highlands. I consider myself an advanced sometimes expertish finesse skier when my head is in the game. I learned to ski on old straight skis and still continue to evolve and adapt my skiing style to modern skis. I ski with my feet much too close together as my expert children are so fond of reminding me.

Because I prefer soft snow, I spend 80% of my ski time off piste and generally consider groomed terrain a necessary evil on the way to the goods. These new Kästle MX83s are making me rethink that, as I’m enjoying the groomed terrain a lot more. We will see if that keeps up as more terrain opens this year.

My favorite ski partners are my girls, but I don’t get many days with them as they are always training gates. I treasure the spring days after the race season with them at ABasin.