• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review Thumbnail Reviews: 2016 SIA. A Big Guy's Ramblings

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Armada Invictus 99ti
Dimensions: 133-98-123
Radius: 22m@187cm
Size tested: 187
Design: All New

The Invictus likes to run but does have a top end. The ski felt stable on and off piste and especially liked carving and bumps. Armada did a fantastic job prepping their offerings.
  • Who is it for? Skiers looking to fill the ~100mm spot in their quiver with an easy-to-ski arrow.
  • Who is it not for? Bigger skiers looking to ski fast.
  • Insider tip: Skied true to size.

Atomic Backland 109
Dimensions: 135-109-125
Radius: 19.5m@189cm
Size tested: 189

Atomic changed the build and name of the Automatic for the 2017 offering. The result is a surfier, more maneuverable ski that can be driven with some tongue and tip pressure when wanted. This will make a nice wider partner in a two-ski quiver.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a 1-0-something with all-mountain chops.
  • Who is it not for? Tail riders.
  • Insider tip: For best results, stay in the middle of your foot to a tad forward.

Blossom Great Shape
Dimensions: 121-71-106
Radius: 17m@181
Size tested: 181
Design: Carryover

Fun, fun, fun -- and puckering fast -- the Great Shape is as close to a race ski as most of us want to spend our days on. Incredible edging and quickness meld with stability and energy to produce the surprise ski of the show for me. The variable snow I skied isn't its forte, but you'd never know it.
  • Who is it for? Speed seekers who like a race feel and in an easier-to-use package.
  • Who is it not for? The timid.
  • Insider tip: Ski these on edge, put a bend in them, and enjoy the rewards.

Blossom Namaste

Dimensions: 135-99-122
Radius: 20m@178cm
Size tested: 178

The power and feel of a Kästle MX98 in a slightly friendlier ski. Capable on piste and off, it handled moguls extremely well for the width. I didn't find a speed limit even though I skied it shorter than my preferred 180cm+ length.
  • Who is it for? Aggressive skiers looking for a truly all-mountain ski.
  • Who is it not for? Lighter skiers may have trouble with these stiff skis.
  • Insider tip: This ski will be there for you, so let them rip.

Blossom White Out

Dimensions: 131-77-110
Radius: 16m@182cm
Size tested: 182
Design: New Construction
Blossom Wind Shear
Dimensions: 124-77-110
Radius: 17.5m@180cm
Size tested: 180

The White Out and Wind Shear are closely related and ski like dreams. The White Out is a bit more off-piste-oriented, but both are performance carvers at heart. Fast, smooth, and predictable, these skis are worthy of a capable pilot. I like the increased sidecut of the White Out. No speed limit on either, and they make broken-up snow feel like fresh corduroy.
  • Who are they for? Those willing and capable to commit to a turn in all conditions.
  • Who are they not for? People who won't take a chance on an unknown (in the U.S.) company.
  • Insider tip: A little input goes a long way with these skis.

Elan Ripstick 96
Dimensions: 134-96-113
Radius: 18m@181cm
Elan Ripstick 106
Dimensions: 140-106-122
Radius: 18.1m@181cm

The Ripsticks make cruising fun with their easy turn initiation and energetic feel. Both skis were extremely quick edge to edge. The skis have no metal and react like it when push comes to shove in crud and moguls. I found the tips a bit soft for my larger-than-average size and aggressive nature.
  • Who are they for? Weekend warriors and those skiing a few days a season who like to cruise groomers and dabble off piste.
  • Who are they not for? Heavier, hard chargers.
  • Insider tip: Ski these from the middle of your foot and don't drive 'em too hard

Head Rally
Dimensions: 136-77-115
Radius: 14.7m@177cm
Size tested: 177

More sidecut and the addition of Graphene kick this venerable offering up a notch. Multiple turn shapes, varying speeds, and versatility make the Rally a Head turner.
  • Who is it for? Technical skiers and those looking for a more piste-biased ride.
  • Who is it not for? People who don't enjoy turning.
  • Insider tip: A wonderful ski to help increase skills and confidence.

Kästle FX85 HP

Dimensions: 119-85-108
Radius: 19m@181cm

A much more off-piste-biased offering than the MX series, the FX85 HP was a fine companion on the groomed but became a trusted friend off. The few inches of powder, trees, crud, and especially bumps I showed the 85 HP were exhilarating. Getting into and out of turns on these skis could not be easier.
  • Who is it for? Those skiers looking for a narrower off-piste/all-mountain ski.
  • Who is it not for? People spending most of their ski days on piste.
  • Insider tip: Tip and tail shape are keys for this ski's off-piste prowess.
Kästle MX84
Dimensions: 128-84-112
Radius: 18m@184cm
Size tested: 184
Kästle MX89
Dimensions: 129-89-113
Radius: 18m@180cm

Kästle introduced Hollowtech 2.0 this year and revised the tip shape, sidecut, and lengths as well. All those changes seem to improve already-great skis despite some tuning issues at the Kästle tent. I got on these skis a couple different times to flesh out the tune troubles. When right, the tighter turn radius is a welcome addition to the smooth, stable, and inspiring ride of both skis.
  • Who are they for? Those willing to pay the price for a phenomenal ride.
  • Who are they not for? People not willing to commit to putting a ski on edge.
  • Insider tip: The new sizing is spot on.

Salomon QST 106
Dimensions: 142-106-127
Radius: 20m@188
Size tested: 188

A kinder, gentler Q-Lab, this new offering will make getting off the groomed and into trees, bowls, and chutes more accessible to the masses. I found the QST 106 an easy and forgiving ski with enough spine to handle manky, cruddy snow. It also performed well on piste for a 106mm ski.
  • Who is it for? Skiers wanting to get off piste without getting beat up.
  • Who is it not for? Groomer zoomers or big mountain skiers.
  • Insider tip: Stay in the middle of your foot and let the ski work.

Whitedot R.98
Dimensions: 128-98-109
Radius: 27m@185cm
Size tested: 185

The R. 98 is a very capable ski on piste and off. I feel a tad more camber (it has 2 mm) would push this ski up a few notches on the performance ladder. That said, it handled variable conditions without a complaint. The 27m radius skis much closer to a 20 or 22m. The ski has a solid comfortable feel under foot.
  • Who is it for? Skiers who like to smear and slarve more than carve.
  • Who is it not for? Those wanting to make railroad tracks with every turn.
  • Insider tip: Experimenting with mount point may be worthwhile.

Völkl 90Eight
Dimensions: 133-98-116
Radius: 22.3m@184cm
Size tested: 184
Design: NGT

Völkl is back on track with this ski after going off the rails the previous few years. The camber is back and so is the fun in any snow type. This ski is solid on edge and absolutely mashes mank and crud.
  • Who is it for? Skiers looking for a slightly stiff ski to drive all over the mountain.
  • Who is it not for? The meek and mild crowd won't experience what this ski brings to the slope.
  • Insider tip: This ski rewards aggressive moves and obeys commands.
About @Drahtguy Kevin

Height: 6'2"
Weight: 215 lb
Years skiing: 20+
Days per year: 50+
Home mountains: Arapahoe Basin, Loveland, Copper Mountain
Preferred terrain: Bowls, trees, steeps, bumps; good groomers with a proper ski are a riot as well.
Skiing style: Charge it with power and speed
Preferred ski characteristics: I favor longer skis with metal, camber, and flat tails. I don't mind a touch of rocker but don't want a banana.
Boots: Tecnica Inferno 130, with ZipFits and Booster Straps
About me: My passion for skiing intensified since moving to Colorado in 2007. Now, in my mid-40s, I ski 50+ days per season mostly at ABasin, Loveland, and Copper Mountain. I also backcountry ski and find time to take a few cat trips as well. To me, the ski day doesn't end when the lifts stop turning. Après done right only adds to a glorious day sliding on the snow.

Last edited by a moderator:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Atomic Backland 109
Dimensions: 135-109-125
Radius: 19.5m@189cm
Size tested: 189

Atomic changed the build and name of the Automatic for the 2017 offering. The result is a surfier, more maneuverable ski that can be driven with some tongue and tip pressure when wanted. This will make a nice wider partner in a two-ski quiver.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a 1-0-something with all-mountain chops.
  • Who is it not for? Tail riders.
  • Insider tip: For best results, stay in the middle of your foot to a tad forward.

This is interesting to me, since the corresponding Automatic was my favorite recent (well, not that recent) demo. I'm not sure "surfier" is something I will like. I'm curious to compare.

James

Out There
Instructor
This is interesting to me, since the corresponding Automatic was my favorite recent (well, not that recent) demo. I'm not sure "surfier" is something I will like. I'm curious to compare.
Check out say the MX 89! Do you really need a different Coomba?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's never too early to make a fence or a chair out of those!

Respect the Coomba, please!

@Drahtguy Kevin -- thanks for the thumbnails. You say "big guy". Do you publicly acknowledge the number? At 195 I'm always interested in a big guy's thoughts.

Also, how is the stiffness of the Rally for a bigger guy? I like me some sidecut for next year's ski, but am NOT looking for a super stiff ski.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

@Drahtguy Kevin -- thanks for the thumbnails. You say "big guy". Do you publicly acknowledge the number? At 195 I'm always interested in a big guy's thoughts.

Also, how is the stiffness of the Rally for a bigger guy? I like me some sidecut for next year's ski, but am NOT looking for a super stiff ski.

I would have to say, I didn't flex the old and new Rally's side by side but as I mentioned the new one has a bit more "purpose". The old ski was perfect in flex and Head did not fix was wasn't broken. @Stephen's reviews are upcoming, he owns the current Rally and this was the first ski he tried..and I think addresses your question. Stay tuned.

TS
Drahtguy Kevin

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

I do acknowledge the number. I'm 6'2" and 215 lbs. at 45 years old some of that is still baby fat too. I find the Rally in 177cm to be sublime at my size -- the past and current editions. Do not overlook the Blossom White Out in 182cm. It is sublimer...

James

Out There
Instructor
I've flexed the new Rally in a shop. It's definitely morer than the old. A good thing at your weight.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Blossom White Out
Dimensions: 131-77-110
Radius: 16m@182cm
Size tested: 182
Blossom Wind Shear
Dimensions: 124-77-110
Radius: 17.5m@180cm

The White Out and Wind Shear are closely related and ski like dreams. The White Out is a bit more off-piste-oriented, but both are performance carvers at heart. Fast, smooth, and predictable, these skis are worthy of a capable pilot. I like the increased sidecut of the White Out. No speed limit on either, and they make broken-up snow feel like fresh corduroy.
  • Who are they for? Those willing and capable to commit to a turn in all conditions.
  • Who are they not for? People who won't take a chance on an unknown (in the U.S.) company.
  • Insider tip: A little input goes a long way with these skis.
Hi Kevin,
Was great to meet you in Aspen Highlands happy hour.

I have been skiing a Blossom produced ski for many years, the Hart Pulse. My Pulse have the same dimensions as the Wind Shear, so the old moulds are still getting used. I agree that they are very capable carvers, and, were used by the very capable @Bob Barnes when he was sponsored by Hart. My Pulse does not have metal, not sure if Blossom has added any in either of the above. I was discussing these skis with @FairToMiddlin during the Aspen Gathering ( I bought my Pulse skis from him ) and he really liked the White Out. @Philpug worked for Hart for a while and he's always been a fan of the 77 waist Harts. Phil thinks that the new price point for the Blossoms will be lower than the premium level they sold at previously.

I'll continue to ski my Pulse skis to they wear out..great eastern cruising skis, just give them a little speed. I was kicking my butt for not bringing them to Aspen. They rocked last year at the Jackson event when the snow was firm.

BTW, my compliments on a well thought out review of a whole bunch of skis.

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Kev, I'm curious about a few of the ones you got on, and I didn't.

You put the 90Eight as a close second to the Bone, how do their personalities differ? Is it like anything else? Enforcer, FX, others you've been on?

I'd like to read more about the MX84 184cm, the numbers don't always tell the story, but I seems like they would cross under you even more energetically than your 183 MX83.

How was the speed limit on the Backland? Can you charge anywhere near the alacrity of say, the Cochise?

Last edited:
TS
Drahtguy Kevin

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Kev, I'm curious about a few of the ones you got on, and I didn't.

You put the 90Eight as a close second to the Bone, how do their personalities differ? Is it like anything else? Enforcer, FX, others you've been on?

I'd like to read more about the MX84 184cm, the numbers don't always tell the story, but I seems like they would cross under you even more energetically than your 183 MX83.

How was the speed limit on the Backland? Can you charge anywhere near the alacrity of say, the Cochise?

The 90Eight was a strong, charging ski for me but a tad below the strength of the Bone and not as playful, powder oriented as the Enforcer. It was sorta a bastard cross of the Bone and Enforcer. Volkl did a nice job with the tip, tail and flex. Everything was predictable.

As far as the MX84 goes, it's a better MX83. Something Kastle does in the build makes this ski -- and it's tighter radius -- absolutely fly between turns. Much more energetic and willing to listen. Seemed much easier to control speed with the shorter TR, but the snow was damn good so that may have helped too.

The Cochise is much more of a charger than the Backland -- different leagues really. It takes more effort to charge on the Backland whereas the Cochise begs to go balls-out. The Backland's surfier/floaty/smeary characteristics would be a hoot at Sunlight in the trees and glades. I would like a foot of fresh and the Backland...

Sponsor