• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Did the manufacture screw up or do others know more than the manufacture does about their own skis? Or did the manufacture not do enough testing for mounting location?
IMHO moving the mount forward makes the ski feel like it's shorter and easier for some people to handle, allowing them to ski a longer ski than they would otherwise want.

Magoo

Putting on skis
Inactive
I'm a advanced skiier 5'6 135 skiing a Navigator 85 at 165. I have a chance to get 2017 Head Supershape Titan at 156. Is that to short?

James

Out There
Instructor
I'm a advanced skiier 5'6 135 skiing a Navigator 85 at 165. I have a chance to get 2017 Head Supershape Titan at 156. Is that to short?
Depends what the meaning of "too" is.
What are you doing, where your doing ir, how you like the current length etc. Nothing wrong with experimenting either. But, there are plenty of "chances" with that ski these days.

In other news I tried an 18/19 Rally in 170 for one run. Completely hated it. I only tried it because the person I recommended it to hated it and I was surprised. So we switched skis. He got my Rossi Masters 21m in 180. That ski was mutch easier to do whatever you wanted.
The Rally was heavy, dead feeling. Snow was pretty soft. Tune was good. I may have to demo these just to make sure, but right now they're on my "avoid at all costs, except $50, list"
And I really liked the 1st gen. The 18/19 has a ridiculously large tip. Overall, SAD!

Last edited:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In other news I tried an 18/19 Rally in 170 for one run. Completely hated it. I only tried it because the person I recommended it to hated it and I was surprised. So we switched skis. He got my Rossi Masters 21m in 180. That ski was mutch easier to do whatever you wanted.
The Rally was heavy, dead feeling. Snow was pretty soft. Tune was good. I may have to demo these just to make sure, but right now they're on my "avoid at all costs, except $50, list"
And I really liked the 1st gen. The 18/19 has a ridiculously large tip. Overall, SAD!

This is the first time I’ve seen somebody comment negatively on the tip of this ski. But I’ve been thinking the same thing. When they changed it (last year?) I looked at it, and thought, “ugh.” I guess I prefer skis with a little less side cut, particularly a not so flared tip (and tail).

James

Out There
Instructor
This is the first time I’ve seen somebody comment negatively on the tip of this ski. But I’ve been thinking the same thing. When they changed it (last year?) I looked at it, and thought, “ugh.” I guess I prefer skis with a little less side cut, particularly a not so flared tip (and tail).
It keeps getting bigger!
One reason an fis slalom ski is so versatile is it doesn't have such ridiculous proportions. And sidecuts are often less, 12.5-13.5m instead of 11.
I think I'm going to have to rent it for a day to confirm how bad it is.
Have you tried the Liberty v series? They look nice.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
@James are you sure the ramp any bit right for you on the Irally? I have 4 mm shim under moes on my Ititans and they still feel so heel high.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
not sure what the gens are. What year was the ski?

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It keeps getting bigger!
One reason an fis slalom ski is so versatile is it doesn't have such ridiculous proportions. And sidecuts are often less, 12.5-13.5m instead of 11.
I think I'm going to have to rent it for a day to confirm how bad it is.
Have you tried the Liberty v series? They look nice.

There’s a demo V82 in a 179 in the shop I work PT at. I mean to take it out sometime this season, even though it’ll be a tad long. That ski (the 76 and 82) sold out at the shop fairly quickly.

I am looking forward to getting on the Blossoms....far less sidecut (but more aggressive tune) than the Elan SLX (which I do enjoy). I’ve got an older waveflex Elan GSX in 175 which is a surprisingly versatile ski.....I think part of that is the lack of sidecut.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
There’s a demo V82 in a 179 in the shop I work PT at. I mean to take it out sometime this season, even though it’ll be a tad long. That ski (the 76 and 82) sold out at the shop fairly quickly.

wow! good to hear. The Liberty's ski true to length but try to get on a pair.

IRally's, I never really liked that ski. Love the Titan though, As alternatives, try the Head V8 or V10. Not sure if your shop carries either of those, but I really liked those skis and favored the V10.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
wow! good to hear. The Liberty's ski true to length but try to get on a pair.

IRally's, I never really liked that ski. Love the Titan though, As alternatives, try the Head V8 or V10. Not sure if your shop carries either of those, but I really liked those skis and favored the V10.

we carry the V8. I agree that I'd like the flex better, but it's a little too shapely for my taste ;-)
The Liberty's look a little more like a shape I'd like.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
^ @Wendy if you have the V10, give it a whirl. Really liked that ski a ton. Didnt get much press but its a great ski. Many skiers would benefit from this line over the stiffer big siblings.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
we carry the V8. I agree that I'd like the flex better, but it's a little too shapely for my taste ;-)
The Liberty's look a little more like a shape I'd like.
I liken the V8 to an easier iRally. Had a blast on it. V10 got lots of good reviews too. They are very shapely, however.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
No idea. Has the binding ramp changed from the 1st gen?
@Philpug, is the heel higher on the newer Rallys than the older ones? I think you told me but I can't recall.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I liken the V8 to an easier iRally. Had a blast on it. V10 got lots of good reviews too. They are very shapely, however.

shapely in the best of ways. I found it to be versatile for a frontsider. the V8 is a better rally IMHO

James

Out There
Instructor
Why do they make the V8 and the Rally??
Let's ruin one ski to make a better one?

Ron

SkiTalk Tester

the V8 is a closer comparison but the V series is a more versatile ski and easier which many skiers SHOULD be on. I am seeing an increasing number of skis that are "easy" but can perform at a high level. The V series is a good example. Its much like the Liberty VMT series.

https://www.head.com/us-US/sports/ski/vshape/

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The V8's are, IMO, geared more towards the advancing intermediate or more mellow expert who wants a bit more versatility than the Rally provides. The Rally is less forgiving of the occasional OOPS than the V8. V8 is more relaxed. Best way I can explain it.