• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Thumbnail Review: 2016 Volkl RTM84

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Without getting into technical designs that will make your eyes glaze over, “All New” has never rung more more true than with the 2016 Volkl RTM84. Over the years, Volkl has established a foothold in the all-mountain frontside category, and the newest RTM is a culmination of its previous successes. The RTM has the power of the AC series but doesn’t bite back; it has the smoothness of the previous-generation RTM, but more pop. If you are looking for the best of these past two series of Volkls, you will truly appreciate the new RTM. Thank you Volkl for bring camber back and making this great ski.
580x303xvolklRTM84_b3004fca98cb69bd2ec678fe2c09b1b0.jpg.pagespeed.ic.P4qGOf4f3n.jpg
  • Who is it for? The better you are, the better the RTM84 will be and the more you will get out of it.
  • Who is it not for? Sure you can park and ride ... but why? Don’t waste a great ski by being lazy. So, for the lazy, no RTM for you!
  • Insider tip: Treat yourself to a precision tune.

falcon_o

Getting on the lift
Skier
I replaced my AC50's (R.I.P) with 2013-14 RTM84's. Being a bit on the heavy side - 6", 235lbs - I do best on a stiffer ski. While I truly enjoy my current RTM's I will be looking forward to demoing / reporting on this year's ski.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While I was not a fan of the previous RTM series, the new one is just fantastic. Talking the design that Volkl started with on the V-Werks Katana and bringing it to the RTM was a great idea along with the addition of camber. It just makes sense for any ski in this range to have camber and for 2016, all Volkls under 100mm will have camber.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I did a demo of the RTM 84 in 178 length yesterday at my Blue Mtn Pa home. A very quick summary is that this is one impressive ski! The only caveat to my review is that the only open trails are green and blue cruisers, but, there was a mix of soft, ice, golf balls and death cookies. Mostly, I am a more short radius turner and 195 lbs.

The first, and perhaps the most amazing aspect, is how easy the RTM84 changes edges. I kept smiling and thinking it should not be this easy. Just bring them up to a little edge and the tenacious carving feel becomes locked in. Shaping shorter turns is no problem, which is important for me. The ride is first class solid, it just tracks and holds. It does require paying attention to what you are doing, not for those who like the auto-pilot aspects of less stiff skis.

Without question, I'd love to be on a pair where more varied terrain and more seasoned ski legs both were present. It was my second day on skis and neither my technique or legs are up to snuff. There is a demo day next week at Elk Mtn which has the terrain to test these baby's out some more, I may just rearrange my schedule to be there.

I am a little bummed that the Volkl rep did not bring a RTM 81, it was a favorite demo from last year for this eastern white ribbon of death skier.

falcon_o

Getting on the lift
Skier
I replaced my AC50's (R.I.P) with 2013-14 RTM84's. Being a bit on the heavy side - 6", 235lbs - I do best on a stiffer ski. While I truly enjoy my current RTM's I will be looking forward to demoing / reporting on this year's ski.

Just bit the bullet and bought an end of season 182 pair. If any are interested - FANTASTIC DEAL - Northern Ski Works, Killington Vt - online $575 with free shipping and no tax if out of state. Add $25 if you want them to install bindings but VERY easy to do so better to pocket the $$$.

http://northernskiworks.com/Mens-Skis_c_65-3.html

Anyone interested in my 2013, 177cm, RTM84's - excellent condition, tuned, $225 PM me.

dbq

Booting up
Skier
Without getting into technical designs that will make your eyes glaze over, “All New” has never rung more more true than with the 2016 Volkl RTM84. Over the years, Volkl has established a foothold in the all-mountain frontside category, and the newest RTM is a culmination of its previous successes. The RTM has the power of the AC series but doesn’t bite back; it has the smoothness of the previous-generation RTM, but more pop. If you are looking for the best of these past two series of Volkls, you will truly appreciate the new RTM. Thank you Volkl for bring camber back and making this great ski.
580x303xvolklRTM84_b3004fca98cb69bd2ec678fe2c09b1b0.jpg.pagespeed.ic.P4qGOf4f3n.jpg
  • Who is it for? The better you are, the better the RTM84 will be and the more you will get out of it.
  • Who is it not for? Sure you can park and ride ... but why? Don’t waste a great ski by being lazy. So, for the lazy, no RTM for you!
  • Insider tip: Treat yourself to a precision tune.

Hey Phil

Any thoughts on what they are like in crud and bumps ?

thks

falcon_o

Getting on the lift
Skier
Just bit the bullet and bought an end of season 182 pair. If any are interested - FANTASTIC DEAL - Northern Ski Works, Killington Vt - online $575 with free shipping and no tax if out of state. Add $25 if you want them to install bindings but VERY easy to do so better to pocket the $$$.

http://northernskiworks.com/Mens-Skis_c_65-3.html

Anyone interested in my 2013, 177cm, RTM84's - excellent condition, tuned, $225 PM me.

Appears the RTM 84's are no longer available @ $575 from Northern Ski Works. Hope anyone who was interested took advantage like I did. Only bark is I have to wait unitl next season to try.

James

Out There
Instructor
Glad you scooped them up! They only had 1 pr. Someone else I know ordered online and got cancelled.
People need to call as these shops are more store focused and have skeleton crew now.
We're now up to 5 pairs from Northern!

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Hey Phil

thks

I rate it top of the class for bumps and crud. I demoed it on the day after a powder day and liked it better in crud than the Enforcer and the Monster98.

Reactions: dbq
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hey Phil

thks

I rate it top of the class for bumps and crud.

I agree with @epic , I was pleasantly surprised how well it did in the bumps and crud. Usually a ski that has this pronounced of a shape will get locked in and cannot be worked in those conditions, not the case with the new RTM's, it works fantanstic, one of the best in class. It is also a bit unique in that Volkl is offering these in 5cm increments where they used to be 7cm. I found going with the shorter of two sized worked better.

Reactions: dbq

falcon_o

Getting on the lift
Skier
I agree with @epic , I was pleasantly surprised how well it did in the bumps and crud. Usually a ski that has this pronounced of a shape will get locked in and cannot be worked in those conditions, not the case with the new RTM's, it works fantastic, one of the best in class. It is also a bit unique in that Volkl is offering these in 5cm increments where they used to be 7cm. I found going with the shorter of two sized worked better.

I moved up a size, from 177 to 182 but will not be able to report my experience until next winter as I am done for the season and bought these without a demo. But moving from an AC50 to the previous generations of RTM 84' s then to these was a no brainer - especially at $575!!!!

AJS

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi. New member here and I’m seriously considering the RTM 84.

I’ve been skiing on and off for less than 10 years, but seriously the last 2 years. I’ve been sharing a cabin with a bunch of expert skiers and instructors and I’ve gotten a lot better skiing with them. I ski exclusively in Tahoe and the last several years I've skied the Blizzard Bushwacker pretty much every day. I have the Line Influence 115 for really deep days.

I love the Bushwackers but this past season I feel like I'd outgrown them. At high speed I can feel the tip flapping. When I want to aggressively carve I have to feather my edging to avoid chatter.

So I got the Fisher Motive 95 for high speed riding and I love them, but I feel like I’m missing a skinny ski (skinny for Tahoe), something that’s a carver but could still handle snow when things soften up or the hardpack turns into sugar, and maybe an occasional foray into the trees. I also want something that can handle bumps. I was considering maybe the Rossi Pursuit 800 but I don’t think they would handle late day conditions very well and also RTM 84 seems like it would be better in bumps.

Aside from the Pursuit and 84, I’m also considering the RTM 86. Any suggestions? I’m 6’3”, 190lbs btw. My Bushwackers are 188, Motives are 186, and Lines are 192. Thanks.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you ski Tahoe, you need a ski like this. Either the 84 or 86 in the 182 will be rippers and both still work better in the bumps than you would expect.