• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Thumbnail Review: 2016 Look Pivot Series

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What is the appeal of a binding that is older than the majority of the skiers who ski it? A timeless design. The Look Pivot turntable heel allows an incredibly short mount distance, which creates a very low rotation weight, which in turn creates a lighter feel and more responsive interface with the ski. (Even in layman’s terms that was a mouthful.) Laterally, the Pivot is very rigid; this allows you to put more energy to the edges, which makes any ski more responsive. The Pivot also has a tremendous amount of elasticity so you don’t have to ski them at a super high setting; it will hold you in when you need but still release when it should.

388819_388819_1
The Look Pivot comes in four flavors: the 12 (4-12 DIN), two forms of the 14 (5-14 DIN) -- one with a traditional AFD and the other with Dual WTR to accommodate Walk to Ride boot soles -- and finally the big boy, the all-metal 18 (8-18 DIN).

When it comes down to it, a binding is about one thing: confidence. A skier must trust that the binding will release but also that the binding will hold when it is supposed to. Retention is just as important as release to many performance skiers.
  • Who is it for? Skiers who want their bindings to be more than a just safety mechanism, who are looking to maximize their skis' performance.
  • Who is it not for? The Pivot heel can be quirky to get in and out of, so if you like to pop your ski on and off quickly, take a look at Pivot’s brother, the traditional-heel SPX.
  • Insider tip: The Rossignol FKS is the same binding offered in different colors.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Yes, I LOVE the Pivot...

but could Rossi PLEASE bring back the FKS 155!!!

It's the perfect DIN range for mortal skiers who want the one piece metal toe. (5-15)

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, I LOVE the Pivot...

but could Rossi PLEASE bring back the FKS 155!!!

It's the perfect DIN range for mortal skiers who want the one piece metal toe. (5-15)
That and a 85mm brake. 75/85/95/115/130 Brake options. I talked to our buddy about both of these subjects.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It will be announced publicly shortly. The Rossignol name on bindings will be dropped for next season. All bindings will be labeled Look. So we will see Rossignol skis with Look bindings for 2016-17.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
OK..a shout out again to these binding. I mounted up the Renoun Z-77's with a Rossi race plate and a pair of FKS15's. In my haste I never set the bindings. I was skiing around for a couple of days with the heels backed off to about 6...and ever released out of the heels. The elasticity of the pivot heel is second to none.

James

Out There
Instructor
OK..a shout out again to these binding. I mounted up the Renoun Z-77's with a Rossi race plate and a pair of FKS15's. In my haste I never set the bindings. I was skiing around for a couple of days with the heels backed off to about 6...and ever released out of the heels. The elasticity of the pivot heel is second to none.
Is there a photo of that setup?

James

Out There
Instructor
Do people have an issue with these in powder? Though I guess not much is worse than a Marker Griffon.

It's been so long since I had the Look Nevada 77's, the Olin Mark VI's and the "safety" straps. I can't remember. Plus being young it's all a wash. There was one multi colored Look model I had on the Volkl P20's. Not sure those ever saw real powder.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do people have an issue with these in powder? Though I guess not much is worse than a Marker Griffon.
Actually while the Pivot has it's issues getting into in powder, they are different than the Griffons. The Pivot with the amount on mechanics under the heel can trap snow making it difficult when snow gets in there but it is the amount of forward pressure that the Griffon requires that makes it diffcult to get in. Between the two, I do find the pivot easier to get into.

James

Out There
Instructor
Ok more Pivot for Dummies questions...
How do these things adjust for different bootsoles? And what's the range so if you go up or down 1size, 1 cm, can the adjustment handle it?

Can this be done on snow with a tool or needs a bench and a snap-on box filled with gizmos?

This has always been a mystery with guys scurrying to the back room to adjust them.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thread Derail Alert: Marker should be embarrassed to have their name on the Griffon, given the amount of step in force required.

Just saying.

How do the Pivot heel pieces center? They don't still have that little sliding plastic doohickey behind them, that is screwed separately to the ski, do they?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ok more Pivot for Dummies questions...
How do these things adjust for different bootsoles? And what's the range so if you go up or down 1size, 1 cm, can the adjustment handle it?

Can this be done on snow with a tool or needs a bench and a snap-on box filled with gizmos?

This has always been a mystery with guys scurrying to the back room to adjust them.
The Piovt does not have much adjustment range, maybe about 8mm, which is most cases, not even a boot size change. You do need tools to adjust, there are two lateral adjustment that need to be done. One of the reason I used this Rossignol plate was it gives me the ability to move the toe and heel for different BSL's since I want to get other people on the Z-77's.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thread Derail Alert: Marker should be embarrassed to have their name on the Griffon, given the amount of step in force required.

Just saying.

How do the Pivot heel pieces center? They don't still have that little sliding plastic doohickey behind them, that is screwed separately to the ski, do they?
I have less of a problem with the Griffon and Jester as with the Squire, while was billed for lighter skiers and women. Marker does offer the M11.0 TC which is a great alternative to the Squire.

Not sure what you are referring to as the sliding doohickey.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure what you are referring to as the sliding doohickey.

Last time I owned a Look binder -- back in ancient Mesopotamia or thereabouts -- you would "cock" the heel piece, then there was a little black plastic slider mounted to the ski, just behind the heel piece, that slid forward over the lower bale of the heel piece. This kept the somewhat finicky heel piece centered while you stepped in.

I suspect there is now a more elegant centering solution.

James

Out There
Instructor
...safety strap, the Look N 77 came with a ski brake. Either you got ripped off or you didn't have a N 77.

Lol. Thanks for the concern. No brakes. Pretty sure that one was painted red. My earlier ones with the Strato 102 were all silver. I think those said Nevada on them but not sure.
Phil or @Bill Talbot could probably figure out which one it was.

Sponsor