• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Thumbnail Review: 2016 K2 Pinnacle 95

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Why do we do this wacky sport? Because it’s fun. Focusing on this, K2 has introduced the Pinnacle series. The Pinnacles are all new -- not "all new" as in sporting a new topskin and maybe some additional rocker, but "all new" from the ground up. The only similarity to the outgoing Annex series or any other past K2 ski is that "K2" is written on them.
K2-Pinnacle-95.jpeg

On the snow, the Pinnacle 95 is just fun. Lay it over on the groomers? Fun. Bumps? Fun. Trees? Oh yeah ... FUN. Again, why can't skiing just be about fun? K2 proves that a ski does not have to be demanding to be, yes, fun for good skiers.
  • Who is it for? Skiers who just like to ski and not worry about either beating the mountain into submission or having the mountain do it to them.
  • Who is it not for? Guys who have extra-long craniums and drag their knuckles. It’s 2015, performance and ease can coexist.
  • Insider tip: Size up, the Pinnacle 95 skis short!

Last edited:

mogsie

Booting up
Skier
Hi Phil!
Would it be fun for a 6' and 215 pounds that want fun on groomers and bumps and trees and thight trees? And what about the pinnacle 105 vs the Soul 7?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for jumping in @mogsie. Between these two skis..of course it comes down to how you have your quiver set up but between these two skis, and considering your size, I would say the 105..even in the tight trees. The ski is so damn nimble and playful that the 105 would work for you. Comparing the 105 to the Soul? The 105 is much smoother and not nearly as "pingie" as the Soul. I found the 105 to be warmer and much smoother and less synthetic feeling that the Rossi.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
- how about in comparison to the *Soul 7 HD and the pinnacle 95 to the Sky 7 HD?

*2016-17 Rossignol Sky, Soul, and Super 7 HD layup tweaked with composite mix to keep the easy-to-ski feel, while making the ski laterally stiffer quicker and more precise.

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Pinnacle 95 sounds like it might be right up my alley for a demo. At 166lbs. and possessing more of a finesse-oriented style, I'm looking to find the right 2-4 skis to narrow down my demo-list in the mid-90's width category. Targeted uses are typical March conditions in Smugglers' Notch, to help me continue to progress in my ungroomed, glade and bump adventures.

Of the few I demo'd last year in this width category, I had the most fun on the ON3P Kartel 98. Ones I have not yet been on that seem to be worth considering include:

- Pinnacle 95
- Soul Rider
- Sick Day 95

In you unbiased review/recommendation role, would you change/add to this list? I appreciate the input.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
- how about in comparison to the *Soul 7 HD and the pinnacle 95 to the Sky 7 HD?

*2016-17 Rossignol Sky, Soul, and Super 7 HD layup tweaked with composite mix to keep the easy-to-ski feel, while making the ski laterally stiffer quicker and more precise.
Don't know yet. L am looking forward to getting on these. I hope they feel a little damper on the snow.

Pinnacle 95 sounds like it might be right up my alley for a demo. At 166lbs. and possessing more of a finesse-oriented style, I'm looking to find the right 2-4 skis to narrow down my demo-list in the mid-90's width category. Targeted uses are typical March conditions in Smugglers' Notch, to help me continue to progress in my ungroomed, glade and bump adventures.

Of the few I demo'd last year in this width category, I had the most fun on the ON3P Kartel 98. Ones I have not yet been on that seem to be worth considering include:

- Pinnacle 95
- Soul Rider
- Sick Day 95

In you unbiased review/recommendation role, would you change/add to this list? I appreciate the input.
I am liking the Cassiar 95, it is right in this category and for a bit more beef but not overwhelming, the Enforcer 93. If price is not object the Stormrider 95 is very nice.

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
I am liking the Cassiar 95, it is right in this category and for a bit more beef but not overwhelming, the Enforcer 93. If price is not object the Stormrider 95 is very nice.

Literally scared to demo the SR95 for fear I would love it and blow the budget!! Oh well, life is short and it's hard to put a price on being on the right skis to make my limited days on the hill that much more enjoyable!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Literally scared to demo the SR95 for fear I would love it and blow the budget!! Oh well, life is short and it's hard to put a price on being on the right skis to make my limited days on the hill that much more enjoyable!
Yeah, don't demo it unless you are ready to buy it.

mogsie

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for jumping in @mogsie. Between these two skis..of course it comes down to how you have your quiver set up but between these two skis, and considering your size, I would say the 105..even in the tight trees. The ski is so damn nimble and playful that the 105 would work for you. Comparing the 105 to the Soul? The 105 is much smoother and not nearly as "pingie" as the Soul. I found the 105 to be warmer and much smoother and less synthetic feeling that the Rossi.
I don't want a warmer ski, we barely have enough snow to ski right now, don't want to melt it...:D

Thanks for the response! Would the 105 still be nice for the "groomers-skied out trees-lets go there I think there is still fresh untouched snow-groomers"?

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Yeah, don't demo it unless you are ready to buy it.

That's what I was afraid of! BTW, are you referring to the 2016 model, the 2015 model, or both? The 2015 model may be a little easier on the wallet at this point!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's what I was afraid of! BTW, are you referring to the 2016 model, the 2015 model, or both? The 2015 model may be a little easier on the wallet at this point!
Is the new one better? Yeah, but the 15 is still damn good.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here is a more extensive review from @SkiEssentials "Chairlift Chat Review"

Excerpt:
We had a chance to put the K2 Pinnacle 95 to the test at the Copper Mountain ski test in February of 2015 and were immediately impressed by its capabilities and versatility. After skiing multiple mid-fat all mountain skis with 1 or 2 full sheets of metal (i.e. Blizzard Bonafide, Nordica Enforcer, Kastle FX 95 HP) the Pinnacle 95 managed to stand out. The first thing our testers noticed was the low swing weight. When you’re carrying the Pinnacle 95 through the parking lot, it doesn’t feel exceptionally lightweight. When you have them on your feet, however, the low swing weight is very prevalent, especially when you’re coming off of skis that use full sheets of metal.

Right away the skis feel very playful due to having such reduced swing weight. This playfulness is further enhanced by the shape of the ski. In variable conditions, softer snow, and tight terrain the Pinnacle 95 dances around with ease. We were impressed by the ski’s ability to release its edges in variable snow while staying quiet, damp, and stable. Our testers all agreed that out of all the mid-fat all mountain skis we tested, due to the rocker/taper profiles and light weight, the Pinnacle 95 was one of the easiest to ski. Off piste it will do exactly what you want it to especially at more reserved speeds....
You can go to the above link for the full review.

mogsie

Booting up
Skier
Had the chance to try the Soul 7 in 180 and the Pinnacle 105 in 184 back to back today but for a very bief demo on icy hardpack, skied out trees and in untrack dense snow and I will go with the Pinnacle: better carver and better performance in the untracked...

Royal

UTAH
Skier
I got on the pinnacle 95 (184?cm)earlier this year and found it great fun off piste in some wind blown skied out powder/junk but I was sorely disapointed when I got back on the groomed run. there was very little edge hold on some very hard(icy) snow. they would not carve but skidded across the snow they would not bite(could have been the tune) also I felt the tips were pretty floppy at speed.

for background, I'm 5"9" 175 lbs skis of this type I do like are the Atomic Vantage CTI 100, Brahma, and Cham 97. for me they were all just as quick and fun but with better edge hold and much less floppy.

mogsie

Booting up
Skier
I would not consider any of the skis you mention in the same category of the Pinnacle... This ski has no camber and a good amount of tip and tail rocker... This ski is very soft snow oriented...

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would not consider any of the skis you mention in the same category of the Pinnacle... This ski has no camber and a good amount of tip and tail rocker... This ski is very soft snow oriented...
I agree the other skis are significantly different. The Pinnacles do have camber alone with it's extended tip rocker and also one of the best shaped tails in the category. I wouldn't compare the Pinnacle to the Vantage 100, or Brahma either bit it does go against the Cham 97. Compared to the Dynastar, I did find the Cham 2.0 did have better edge hold but the Pinnacle had a better on snow feel and was more playful and is a bit more on the finesse side of the scale.

Sponsor

Staff online