• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Thumbnail Review: 2016 Head Monster 88

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What better ski to review on Halloween than a Monster. Head resurrects the infamous Monster name in this stellar new series of skis. The engineers at Head have built a very clear collection of skis with the Monsters; just as you pick a ski length by your size, your pick a Monster by its width: 83 (blue), 88 (red), 98 (yellow), or 108 (green) underfoot. Head offers all of these skis in the collection at the same price point, very smart.

HEAD%20Monster%2088%202016%20skis_0.jpg

The Monster 88 will probably be the most popular (in sales) of the collection. It combines a fantastic balance of hard-snow precision with enough float to make it the perfect all-mountain weapon. Head has produced a classic-feeling ski by using its own Era3 technology along with Graphene in the Monster’s traditional sandwich construction. I am confident the 88 will be a ski for the ages because quality just does not go out of style.

• Who is it for? Discriminating skiers: the Monster 88, because of its design and construction, has a supple on-snow feel.
  • Who is it not for? Not for the faint of skill; they don’t call them Monsters for nothing.
  • Insider tip: Don’t shortcut on the binding, a good, laterally stiff binding will enhance the ski’s performance. Try the Tyrolia Attack 13/16.

Jake M

AKA Gunnerbob
Skier
Gorgeous. Would love a pair to sit between my Supershapes and Collective 105, keep the quiver in the Head family.

Suitable for a power skier, I assume? How are they in the bumps.....sounds like they're on the stiffer side of things? Comparison thoughts to the E88 or Brahma, for reference?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Gorgeous. Would love a pair to sit between my Supershapes and Collective 105, keep the quiver in the Head family.

Suitable for a power skier, I assume? How are they in the bumps.....sounds like they're on the stiffer side of things? Comparison thoughts to the E88 or Brahma, for reference?

Send the Rev 85 to the gym once a week or so and you have the Monster 88. They aren't muscle bound in any way however, and would be right smack in the middle of your supershape and collective in the best possible way.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It is the average man's MX88.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife has been skiing a pair of 163 monster 88 since 2007. Think the new version are a worthy replacement?