• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Thoughts on killington vs sugarbush

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There is a chain hotel in Waterbury and an inexpensive B&B we have stayed at. It's maybe 15minutes from lodge.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Will vouch for White Horse Inn breakfasts.
+2.

I was the only one staying there last time I was in town, and I was amazed at how much effort they put in for one customer. They clearly care about providing a quality experience.

The notice in the room about not leaving windows open overnight to avoid attracting bears was amusing, too.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
We're staying there Friday night.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier

That first picture of the "boney trail" - why wouldn't it be open. That's classic East Coast old school. I bet it skied well.

Someone mentioned Killington, Sugarbush and Stowe... better add Mad River. That place is awesome with snow! MRG is my personal top pick for the East Coast.

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
+3 for the White Horse Inn breakfast. Good Inn and great location if you're skiing Mt. Ellen.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Will vouch for White Horse Inn breakfasts.

I'll vouch for White horse inn too. Definitely 3+Stars! It's a Lovely place to stay, great hosts, and fantastic breakfasts. Enjoy Beers in the great room and
the "Hyde away' just down the road for dinner/drinks. Fit to be Thai'd was good for dinner too.

Last edited:

jspsj

Putting on skis
Skier
I've done President's Day trips with my family both at Sugarbush and Killington, and in my experience Killington did a better job at handling the holiday crowds. It was much easier to avoid long lift lines at Killington during Pres Day weekend in 2019 than during the same weekend at Sugarbush in 2018 and 2017. I liked Sugarbush so much that I wasn't expecting to rank Killington as highly when I returned to Killington for the first time in nearly 20 years. But by the end of our visit last year, I felt that Killington had an edge over Sugarbush, for my taste. I did some mid-week skiing at Killington this year with a friend that only reinforced my positive impressions. There are lots of very nice and helpful staff to address questions, the lodge at Killington's peak is beautiful inside and is surrounded by stunning views, there are nice "entry level" trees for my kids (i.e. "Squeeze Play" and lots of fun unofficial glades off of some green trails) who then worked up to black diamond glades. Somehow at Killington we managed to always park pretty close to a lift (which is especially helpful with younger kids). All this being said, I'd recommend choosing Sugarbush if you haven't gone there yet. The views on the run from the top of Mt. Ellen are especially impressive. The terrain was fun in every category, and there were parts of the map I never got to explore. I was less confident in trees a couple of years ago than I am now, so I didn't sample them much. And I had to rule out Castlerock due to long holiday lines. We hope to return in late March, if the conditions are still decent.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
I can have as much fun at Sugarbush as I can at Killington when the snow is good. My buddy who has lived at Sugarbush for 20 years summed it up like this "As snow conditions harden up the Skelton of Killington just shines thru." Sugarbush is only one hour North of Killington allowing both to be skied easily from one lodging location.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
The White Horse Inn does look like a really good value pick... Great call!!! I can't tell for sure though if it's a little too "cute" for a group of 40-something year old guys doing a ski trip on a Superbowl weekend. Is there a gathering spot where we could watch the Superbowl together? Plan B would be to hit a local pub.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
The White Horse Inn does look like a really good value pick... Great call!!! I can't tell for sure though if it's a little too "cute" for a group of 40-something year old guys doing a ski trip on a Superbowl weekend. Is there a gathering spot where we could watch the Superbowl together? Plan B would be to hit a local pub.

the 'great room" is pretty big- I don't remember if it had a TV though- You could call the owners? It is like out of a Ethan Allen or Homes Magazine-
There's plenty of Pubs around the Hyde Away is close by.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

the 'great room" is pretty big- I don't remember if it had a TV though- You could call the owners? It is like out of a Ethan Allen or Homes Magazine-
There's plenty of Pubs around the Hyde Away is close by.

I was just there this week. No TV in the great room, but they do have another gathering room ( a game room ?) with a large TV just past the breakfast room. You walk thru the breakfast room to get to it. And that game room is not cute, you'll be safe there.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We watched a game in the game room a couple of years ago. Fine for a bunch of guys. Don't worry though, all their rooms are not that cute.

Sponsor

Staff online