• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Thoughts on killington vs sugarbush

AMG

Booting up
Skier
Hi I've been to killington several times. It's almost an annual thing. I'd like to know what people think about sugarbush for a change. Is it worth it or should I continue to visit killington. It's for 3 days. Mid march.
And both resorts are just about 3 and a half hours away from me.
I go with my 17 year old son. We like groomers and also trees. Thanks for any advice

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was a skibum at the Bush in the early 70s and have owned a condo at Killington for 20 years, so I know both well. Each has it's pluses and minuses. If you haven't skied the Bush, by all means go there. Great terrain, and lots of real vertical compared to Killington. Killington wins hands down with regard to snowmaking and grooming.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Do both. killington is my “home” mountain. Last season I did a couple of split weekends and skied them both. I stayed near Killington since lodging is cheaper and there’s way more food and après options. It’s a nice drive between them but can be a bit sketchy if snowy.

TS
AMG

AMG

Booting up
Skier
Thx. I see on the map there is a chair connecting the 2 peaks at sugarbush. That's kind of cool. So less grooming at sugarbush? Or no grooming at all ?

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thx. I see on the map there is a chair connecting the 2 peaks at sugarbush. That's kind of cool. So less grooming at sugarbush? Or no grooming at all ?
Less grooming and they are very liberal with their trail openings. Thin cover signs at sugarbush mean you may be taking your skis off or skiing over rocks and mud.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thx. I see on the map there is a chair connecting the 2 peaks at sugarbush. That's kind of cool.
That chair is amusing to do once, and can be helpful if you stay over near the Mt Ellen side. But it takes too long to make it a regular part of your day. (There is a free shuttle between the two sides if you end your day in the wrong place.)

Reactions: Ogg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Less grooming and they are very liberal with their trail openings. Thin cover signs at sugarbush mean you may be taking your skis off or skiing over rocks and mud.
Yeah, they tend to take a "you're an adult, make up your own mind " approach, especially on Castlerock. I like it.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Go to Sugarbush. It has some of the best terrain in the East. You could also do a day at Mad River Glen.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
I too am considering Sugarbush for next year. From my limited research, I haven't seen much in the way of "value-friendly" lodging. Largely, I see a lot of places with VT charm ($$$) that my group isn't really into. For reference, our group most often skis SLC and stays in 3-star hotels in the valley.

skifastDDS

AKA doublediamond223
Skier
I much prefer Sugarbush for terrain, layout, and ease of navigation. Their trail opening policy is kind of ridiculous IMO, so definitely scope out what you plan to ski if you care about your skis. The Mt Ellen side has great grooming and is a major race center for GMVS. As far as lodging, I've been able to find reasonable airBnBs less than a mile from Sugarbush, whereas it's usually 25-30 minutes away when I find something around Killington on a peak weekend.

For example, this was “open”
6C679455-5D94-4877-81F5-11A190D49E93.jpeg

But this was epic, in the same weekend after some new snow
D3EB2C2A-DD11-483B-9CF7-2840D0C341D9.jpeg

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This isn't really any fun unless we compare Killington, Sugarbush, and Stowe. They're all worth multiple visits.

TS
AMG

AMG

Booting up
Skier
I have also never been to Stowe. From my understanding it's a much busier resort, like tremblant for example. So very very busy. Perhaps I will go one day, but not on a weekend nor a holiday.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
This isn't really any fun unless we compare Killington, Sugarbush, and Stowe. They're all worth multiple visits.
I've never been to Stowe, mainly because of the extra travel time past Killington and the current reports of crowding make it even less desirable. I'd like to check it out with someone who knows it and while you can still access the good spots(I'm worried the Vail fun police will decide it's "too dangerous").

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have also never been to Stowe. From my understanding it's a much busier resort, like tremblant for example. So very very busy. Perhaps I will go one day, but not on a weekend nor a holiday.

On busy weekends and holidays it's busy everywhere. I haven't been to Stowe in a while due to Ikon. Maybe sugarbush and killington are slightly less busy, but it's probably just as dependent on all the main lifts being in operation.

Funny, last Christmas vacation week I found Tremblant to be regular busy, with the exception that Canadians don't stay home when it's cold.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've never been to Stowe, mainly because of the extra travel time past Killington and the current reports of crowding make it even less desirable. I'd like to check it out with someone who knows it and while you can still access the good spots(I'm worried the Vail fun police will decide it's "too dangerous").

They're not going to shut down the good trails so as long as there's snow there's plenty of good spots.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Coming from the PA/DE border, Killington was as far as my wife was willing to tolerate the drive. We had visited a number of NE resorts, but never made it to Stowe or Sugarbush, although I campaigned for at least visiting the latter.

Funny thing, I met a couple on the K-1 Gondala that has a place near Sugarbush. They prefer to drive every ski day to Killington. I think it had something to do with the 100 Day Club.

James

Out There
Instructor
I too am considering Sugarbush for next year. From my limited research, I haven't seen much in the way of "value-friendly" lodging. Largely, I see a lot of places with VT charm ($$$) that my group isn't really into. For reference, our group most often skis SLC and stays in 3-star hotels in the valley.
Have you tried Hideaway Lodge or White Horse Inn?
Both have excellent breakfasts. Neither makes three stars though, except for breakfast.
Warning about the cheap rooms at Hideaway over the bar- The floor is just boards and you’ll hear everything from the bar below. Not recommended for Fri or Sat nights.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Have you tried Hideaway Lodge or White Horse Inn?
Both have excellent breakfasts. Neither makes three stars though, except for breakfast.
Warning about the cheap rooms at Hideaway over the bar- The floor is just boards and you’ll hear everything from the bar below. Not recommended for Fri or Sat nights.
Will vouch for White Horse Inn breakfasts.

Sponsor